• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

O/T Olympic Football 2012

How will Beckham drive ticket sales for the football then? I believe that Team GB matches are almost completely sold out, as are the semis and the final (sorry, the medal matches). Whether Beckham plays or not will have love all impact on the ticket sales for non-GB matches, which are the matches where 90% of the available tickets are for.
Beckham apparently played badly in the one match (in the MLS for GHod's sake)where Pearce went to see him... Bellamy, Giggs (in particular) and Richards all played in the Prem last season relatively effectively so have been selected on merit and as they are available. Good decision Mr Pearce.

How will Beckham drive ticket sales for the football then? I believe that Team GB matches are almost completely sold out, as are the semis and the final (sorry, the medal matches). Whether Beckham plays or not will have love all impact on the ticket sales for non-GB matches, which are the matches where 90% of the available tickets are for.
Beckham apparently played badly in the one match (in the MLS for GHod's sake)where Pearce went to see him... Bellamy, Giggs (in particular) and Richards all played in the Prem last season relatively effectively so have been selected on merit and as they are available. Good decision Mr Pearce.

TV audience innit?

Ticket sales mean nothing, it's the level of sponsorship that can be associated with him for broadcasts all over the world. An olympics with Beckham in is an olympics with a sportsman of note internationally - don't think anyone else properly famous is in it this year.

If he was worth a place he'd be playing in Europe still.

There is no place for sentiment and Giggs is a far better player IMO.

He has played for United,Real and Milan and has proven his worth as a footballer.Why would he play for a mediocre european team if he can make silly money in LA?

He has played for United,Real and Milan and has proven his worth as a footballer.Why would he play for a mediocre european team if he can make silly money in LA?

Or West Ham, the worst Liverpool side in my lifetime or Cardiff City in the Championship like Bellamy, whose picked on merit...

Yeah, why would you want a Premier League, FA Cup, Champions League winner, highly-regarded international-class and consumate footballing professional anywhere near the squad influencing young players??

There is one, he's called ryan giggs and for some reason I can't remember "Brand Giggs" even being in existence.

One thing not mentioned so far -
England Euro 2012 set up Pearce out Gary Neville in
Olympic Team Pearce manager, Gary Neville's best mate out.

I take it you disagree.

Firstly, apologies. My reaction was petulant.

I feel that Brand Beckham takes away from the fact the man is a fantastic footballer and has played for THE biggest clubs on the planet, making an impressive impact through his skills as a footballer first and foremost. Brand Beckham is the brainchild of his wife, and that is not being derogatory to her. She has marketed the couple exceptionally well and they are wealthy beyond their wildest dreams.

However, I know for a fact how much they try to use their 'celebrity' and wealth towards helping others. So I get a little bit het up that people are willing to write him off so easily as some sort of publicity fluffy bunnies cuddling.

And secondly, it annoys me that the posters in this thread that have defended him are getting abuse. I mean, really? 'Retarded'?

TV audience innit?

Ticket sales mean nothing, it's the level of sponsorship that can be associated with him for broadcasts all over the world. An olympics with Beckham in is an olympics with a sportsman of note internationally - don't think anyone else properly famous is in it this year.

Ticket sales means everything to the ODA..., that's how they make their money (and the UK doesn't end up in debt lasting years)... TV money goes to the Olympic movement and to a certain extent is irrelevant

TV audience innit?

No one famous is in the Olympics?

Riiiight :)

Ticket sales means everything to the ODA..., that's how they make their money (and the UK doesn't end up in debt lasting years)... TV money goes to the Olympic movement and to a certain extent is irrelevant

Surely the sponsors of the events that are televised would pay more if the expected audience is greater though?

Firstly, apologies. My reaction was petulant.

I feel that Brand Beckham takes away from the fact the man is a fantastic footballer and has played for THE biggest clubs on the planet, making an impressive impact through his skills as a footballer first and foremost. Brand Beckham is the brainchild of his wife, and that is not being derogatory to her. She has marketed the couple exceptionally well and they are wealthy beyond their wildest dreams.

However, I know for a fact how much they try to use their 'celebrity' and wealth towards helping others. So I get a little bit het up that people are willing to write him off so easily as some sort of publicity fluffy bunnies cuddling.

And secondly, it annoys me that the posters in this thread that have defended him are getting abuse. I mean, really? 'Retarded'?

The operative words are 'was' and 'played'

Whilst we're at it maybe we can get Bobby Charlton to lace up his boots? After all, he's the most globally famous player these shores have produced still alive!!

Surely the sponsors of the events that are televised would pay more if the expected audience is greater though?

Deals signed years ago pal.....all done and dusted.

That's why we know what the Olympic costs and budget is and that we've come in slightly under, we couldn't have a moving piece like that?!

The IOC get the global TV monies......the ODA get money from ticket sales. As the IOC don't care about empty stadiums, they make their money regardless.

Not properly, no.

Usain Bolt isn't famous?

Ok then

Phelps?
Hoy?
The US Basketball squad

You are taking a very parochial view. There are athletes across all sports hugely famous in their home countries and across the world but not in the UK, look at volleyball and handball....we don't give a fudge but these players are very well known in their home countries.

Back