• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

O/T Olympic Football 2012

Whatever you think of Beckham personally or professionally he definitely should have been in the squad for 'services rendered' to British football and the Olympic bid. He might have even drummed up a bit more interest in the event. Football in the Olympics is a bit like the League cup. Nobody really gives a toss about it until it gets to the semis or the final. Mistake by Pearce IMHO.

Pearce is in a no win situation. He wants to win the tournament and probably takes it more seriously than the average football fan/Englishman. That means not picking Beckham because he doesn't deserve to go on form. But he is a national icon for some reason and many people wanted to see him in the squad. Ticket sales will be lower now.

There's no doubt Beckham has a massive ego and one of the reason's he's disappointed at not being picked is it means he won't be getting the column inches that he craves.

Bellamy presumably in because hes' Welsh (and also a thoroughly nice chap).

Really hope that our players arent involved; such a mickey mouse tournament. Not sure why they bother having it in the olympics

Olympic football needs the circus, tickets aren't selling..

Not sure why football is even at the Olympics. Other mainstream sports with their own showpiece international competitions like rugby, cricket and motor racing aren't.

Olympics are about athletics, swimming, cycling and minority sports.

Not sure why football is even at the Olympics. Other mainstream sports with their own showpiece international competitions like rugby, cricket and motor racing aren't.

Olympics are about athletics, swimming, cycling and minority sports.

Until 2016 when I think rugby (7s) and golf are in with cricket in 2020 I believe.

Its all about the money for the IOC not what should and shouldn't be

not sure what peoples problem with Beckham is. He went from Zero to hero and is a nation favourite. I absolutely love the guy and commend him on his fame, work, football career and money he has earned, think he is a good family guy (bar the affair!) and does a lot of charity work and does a lot for Britain.

should 100% be in the Olympic team, its not a top tournament so who gives a brick if we win it or not.

maybe its jealousy from people that dont like him

not sure what peoples problem with Beckham is. He went from Zero to hero and is a nation favourite. I absolutely love the guy and commend him on his fame, work, football career and money he has earned, think he is a good family guy (bar the affair!) and does a lot of charity work and does a lot for Britain.

should 100% be in the Olympic team, its not a top tournament so who gives a brick if we win it or not.

maybe its jealousy from people that dont like him

THIS?

Beckham should be picked for the squad because he helped London win the bid ?

sorry but that's bull crap - the only reason to include him would be because he deserves a place on footballing merit, which i don't think anyone looking at it objectively could say he has at the moment

good decision - looks like we are gonna give it a go, including Beckham would have made it a bit of a circus, well played Pearce BIG decision not to pander to the people above who no doubt would have been pressing for his inclusion

the Olympics should be about the thee sport - not an excuse to give a celebrity a run out and massage his ego

Last edited:
Back