• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

O/T Olympic Football 2012

not sure what peoples problem with Beckham is. He went from Zero to hero and is a nation favourite. I absolutely love the guy and commend him on his fame, work, football career and money he has earned, think he is a good family guy (bar the affair!) and does a lot of charity work and does a lot for Britain.

should 100% be in the Olympic team, its not a top tournament so who gives a brick if we win it or not.

maybe its jealousy from people that dont like him

I've always liked him on the whole but I also think he was massively overrated. I am surprised he is not in there.

not sure what peoples problem with Beckham is. He went from Zero to hero and is a nation favourite. I absolutely love the guy and commend him on his fame, work, football career and money he has earned, think he is a good family guy (bar the affair!) and does a lot of charity work and does a lot for Britain.

should 100% be in the Olympic team, its not a top tournament so who gives a brick if we win it or not.

maybe its jealousy from people that dont like him

Haters gonna hate...

Beckham should be picked for the squad because he helped London win the bid ?

sorry but that's bull crap - the only reason to include him would be because he deserves a place on footballing merit, which i don't think anyone looking at it objectively could say he has at the moment

good decision - looks like we are gonna give it a go, including Beckham would have made it a bit of a circus, well played Pearce BIG decision not to pander to the people above who no doubt would have been pressing for his inclusion

the Olympics should be about the thee sport - not an excuse to give a celebrity a run out and massage his ego

Do you think Bellamy, Giggs and Richards are the 3 best over 23 British players Pearce could have picked... on a purely footballing level?

Personally I don't, as someone else mentioned before, it's a bull brick competition, it's an exhibition and on that basis Beckham should be the first there.

Do you think Bellamy, Giggs and Richards are the 3 best over 23 British players Pearce could have picked... on a purely footballing level?

Personally I don't, as someone else mentioned before, it's a bull brick competition, it's an exhibition and on that basis Beckham should be the first there.

This to the power of 5. Or that Staurt Pearce is the best choice as team coach/manager/shouty-sweary-guy?

I tell you what, if i was as rich, famous and good looking as him, I'd be an even bigger ****.

As usual, Beckham's response to not being picked was classy and dignified.

Fantastic player and professional.

Fact is this is a brick decision

- If Pierce had picked the 3 best players over 23, then he had a legitimate case for excluding Beckham

but he picks

- Richards who refused to play for the full squad (or be picked as standby, whatever the case)
- Bellamy, wow, really classy pick there, assumption there is Bellamy/Giggs is a token reach around for Wales

Olympic football could have done with the profile boost (especially outside England), Beckham for what it's worth has helped immensely to promote it, and regardless of if you rate him or not, has always treated playing for his country as an honor, not an inconvenience.

Really there wasn't room in an 18 man squad?

I read somewhere that without Football, the Olympics would practically run at a loss. It's the most important sport in the Olympic schedule by a fair distance.

So having said that, you can imagine many IOC officials and maybe in London 2012 officials are fuming over this. He would have been a drawcard similar to the USA Dream Team.

Can't believe Pearce wasn't getting influenced to appoint Beckham captain.

I read somewhere that without Football, the Olympics would practically run at a loss. It's the most important sport in the Olympic schedule by a fair distance.

So having said that, you can imagine many IOC officials and maybe in London 2012 officials are fuming over this. He would have been a drawcard similar to the USA Dream Team.

There are far more corrupt and sinister forces in football nowadays, getting Becks to be in the team for 'commercial' purposes is really not that big a deal. And it is good for the country and the Olympics. Plus, and I know I'm probably in the minority here, I still feel he has something to offer on the pitch and would be an excellent addition to the GB squad.

Seeing as I'm on a bit of a Becks PR rally here, I remember when he was dumped as captain and squad member from England, and at the same time Capello (then Madrid manager) said he wouldn't pick Becks again for the remainder of the season. You know, because of him being overrated and a 'circus' and all that. Funny how that all turned out isn't it....

Many players ( eg Rio Ferdinand) have been made unavailable by their clubs and others may have declined the invitation to be in the squad.

for a start all 3 are playing at a much higher level than Beckham currently is and have been for several years now. it will be a mixture of what positions Pearce thinks his u23 squad could do with strengthening and which are available.

it would have been The David Beckham Show had he gone and personally i think it's great for the young players that he is nowhere near the squad and they can focus on the football

Last edited:
Beckham is 36 and plays in the MLS. Whatever qualities he had are long gone. fudge him, he deserves nothing. The frankly hysterical response to this decision just reinforces why I'm glad he's over in the states and we don't have to read every fudging detail of his inconsequential life. The media are just tinkled because of the lack of photo Opps they'll now have.

Link? I don't believe that for one second. I know how much they are charging for tickets for all sports and they are all practically sold out as well. More so than football matches.

Back