• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Season

Re: There is always next season (our mantra)

“I have spoken with the president of Tottenham. He is interested in Konoplyanka. We are negotiating, and perhaps even close to signing a contract if Yevhen agrees.”

He went on to say that Liverpool’s approach was less professional and that Spurs understood the needs of all parties involved.

“With Liverpool, I did not negotiate, and was negotiating with some representatives on a telephone. Talks with Tottenham – it’s a whole different approach. Serious adult and with an understanding of our needs and the player’s needs,” he said on Ukrainian TV.

Kolomoyskogo went on to say that a move to London would perhaps be more pleasant for his star player rather than Liverpool.

“Tottenham and Liverpool, two different worlds. Two different lifestyles. If I was him, I would choose London over Liverpool. I believe London life is more preferable to Liverpool.”

I was slightly jesting. It's not just the 7 however, 15 of our 22 have arrived in the last 18 months.

For me the problem is not the players, but the lack of direction and organisation. I'd really like to see LVG work with this squad before we shuffle the deck again. Remember it's still the same squad that 6 months ago everyone thought was a Willian and a Coentrao away from being capable of winning the league.

I also don't think we've got the funds to support a big spend. We know we'll need a zero net spend at the very most), as has been our restraint for the last 5-6 years. Even cashing in on Verts and Lloris wouldn't raise much over £30m combined - GKs are always lowly priced and Verts' value will have dropped significantly with his performances this past 3 months.

Rather than a big round of moneyball and an inevitably unbalanced and unsettled squad again, I would much rather just address the priority areas (LB, LF and deep ballplaying CM), and let the new coach get the rest into shape. van Gaal doesn't like transfers after all.

I appreciate fully what your saying and I think the areas you want to see strengthened fit in with mine. Incidentally, I like the idea of Claisie as well but I think he would be a big money signing and I would rather spend that money on a forward and wide left man (Griezmann and Bony). Plus I also feel that Eriksen could play in that Modric type role and we could play Dembele slightly further forward if we are using a supporting role where he would be more dangerous.

I actually think that we could get near to £20m for Lloris. Barca are in the market for a keeper although they have been linked with Marc-Andre Ter Stegen and Monaco would definitely be interested. PSG could possibly throw their hat into the ring as well. Vertonghen will definitely have seen a drop in value but a good World Cup could see that regained and some. I wouldn't be surprised to get £15-18m for him tbh. Couple that with the selling off of players like Rose, Capoue, Naughton and Chadli which is probably another £20m between them and suddenly it doesn't seem such a big spend.

5 of the players I have mentiond also have 1-2 years left on their contracts and therefore their price will be compromised in relation to the selling club and that should see fees for such players being slightly lower than perhaps they would normally be depending on competition from other clubs.

“I have spoken with the president of Tottenham. He is interested in Konoplyanka. We are negotiating, and perhaps even close to signing a contract if Yevhen agrees.”

He went on to say that Liverpool’s approach was less professional and that Spurs understood the needs of all parties involved.

“With Liverpool, I did not negotiate, and was negotiating with some representatives on a telephone. Talks with Tottenham – it’s a whole different approach. Serious adult and with an understanding of our needs and the player’s needs,” he said on Ukrainian TV.

Kolomoyskogo went on to say that a move to London would perhaps be more pleasant for his star player rather than Liverpool.

“Tottenham and Liverpool, two different worlds. Two different lifestyles. If I was him, I would choose London over Liverpool. I believe London life is more preferable to Liverpool.”

Would love Konoplyanka, especially in tandem with Griezmann but I can't see him signing. Liverpool will be able to offer him CL football, he was already in favour of the move as well. Just can't see us being able to swing it.

I was slightly jesting. It's not just the 7 however, 15 of our 22 have arrived in the last 18 months.

For me the problem is not the players, but the lack of direction and organisation. I'd really like to see LVG work with this squad before we shuffle the deck again. Remember it's still the same squad that 6 months ago everyone thought was a Willian and a Coentrao away from being capable of winning the league.

I also don't think we've got the funds to support a big spend. We know we'll need a zero net spend at the very most), as has been our restraint for the last 5-6 years. Even cashing in on Verts and Lloris wouldn't raise much over £30m combined - GKs are always lowly priced and Verts' value will have dropped significantly with his performances this past 3 months.

Rather than a big round of moneyball and an inevitably unbalanced and unsettled squad again, I would much rather just address the priority areas (LB, LF and deep ballplaying CM), and let the new coach get the rest into shape. van Gaal doesn't like transfers after all.
i think Monaco or PSG will give us 15 mill for Lloris and we will get 15 mill plus easy for Verts from a number of clubs at home or abroad....if we decide to sell, 30 mill is easily achieved imo. I agree that we shouldnt make major changes, as you say 15 of our 22 have arrived in the last 18 months so its absolutely no surprise the club is in a bit of a spin at the moment. On the back of a good WC which i think he will have i would cash in on Paulinho though. It will be our chance to get around 20 mill for him if Real Madrid follow up their reported interest. Imo he isnt suited to the PL and he just doesnt look happy

I hope people think about these quotes when they start mouthing off about Levy and what my favourite buttplug we are as a club. One bad season (where we're still top 6) does not make us a laughing stock/rotten club/circus/crisis club etc etc

GK to replace Lloris if he leaves (and I really hope he doesn't)-One from Forster, Begovic or Marshall heck maybe even Adrian at Wham lol.
Chiriches for me will be at the back but he will need someone experienced and injury free alongside him.

Micah Richards was linked a while back, anyone think he could be worth a punt?
Maybe another centre forward although if we do play with a solo front man, I think we could do with a young player instead of the big star others want. I personally haven't given up on Soldado.

how about Pirlo for a couple of years..... will be on a free in the summer, he is 34 but Italians tend really look after themselves (Totti is still producing despite being 38, Maldini and Zoff). A deep lying playmaker that likes to pass to teammates. Sandro and Pirlo together??

how about Pirlo for a couple of years..... will be on a free in the summer, he is 34 but Italians tend really look after themselves (Totti is still producing despite being 38, Maldini and Zoff). A deep lying playmaker that likes to pass to teammates. Sandro and Pirlo together??

No

I hope people think about these quotes when they start mouthing off about Levy and what my favourite buttplug we are as a club. One bad season (where we're still top 6) does not make us a laughing stock/rotten club/circus/crisis club etc etc

that's nothing to do with how the clubs are run, it's the difference between the cities, Liverpool is an appealing a place to live as mordor

I have spoken with the president of Tottenham. He is interested in Konoplyanka. We are negotiating, and perhaps even close to signing a contract if Yevhen agrees.”

I hope Levy hasn't been getting people to refer to him as President Levy now.

Wish I were as sold on Ericksen as some are. Can't help thinking that cos he's kinda been the best of an average bunch we're hanging our hat on him. But that doesn't in and of itself make a player, and at present to me in the PL he looks like a fringe player who will need some very good players alongside him, especially if we want top 4. Don't get me wrong, we didn't have to pay a huge amount for him (why?) and so I'm sure we will, and should, stick with him for now. But he hasn't been a starter every game, and if we get a new manager will be interesting to see how much they rate him.

Last edited:

Eriksens 1st season reminds me very much of modrics 1st.
Much heralded when he arrived, played out wide left on the periphery of games, not much impact.
Then moved inside, when used to the physicalness of the league.
Then look what mod became.
Can see the same for Eriksen.

He is our most creative player so we should be building our team around him and giving him the licence to roam.

That's why I think 4231 is our best bet if we can get more goal scoring wide men - Lennon amd Townsend Chadli siggy just aren't good enough , Lamela maybe we just don't know. Remys being linked and Konoplayamka would be more of a threat than anything we currently have.

Lot of work sorting out the balance of the team for whoever is on charge!

that's nothing to do with how the clubs are run, it's the difference between the cities, Liverpool is an appealing a place to live as mordor

I'm thinking more about the discussions with Tottenham being more adult etc

Eriksens 1st season reminds me very much of modrics 1st.
Much heralded when he arrived, played out wide left on the periphery of games, not much impact.
Then moved inside, when used to the physicalness of the league.
Then look what mod became.
Can see the same for Eriksen.
Modric always showed a strong aptitude for getting back and defending well in his left sided position. He knew how to read the game and intercept and tackle too. Ive havent seen any of this from Eriksen yet

Modric always showed a strong aptitude for getting back and defending well in his left sided position. He knew how to read the game and intercept and tackle too. Ive havent seen any of this from Eriksen yet

To be honest, i agree with you. Modric has a lot more of the street-fighter mentality than people give him credit for. I read a story about him once being sent on loan early in his career to the Bosnian league where he got routinely battered by bigger opponents. He was a tough little cookie.

Eriksen is a lot more of a fancy-dan typical Spurs player and is more of a full-one No. 10 than a central midfielder. If i'd compare him to anyone it would be Kranjcar rather than Modric.

The lad is young and talented, he can turn out to be any type of player. We would be mad not to play to his strengths although that does not mean becoming dependant upon him.

If we stick with the wonky the I think holtby would be a better bet wide left as he seems much more hard working without eriksens creativity.

I still think we should build around Eriksen - he really could develop into a very good player - not as hard working as rat boy but he has time on his side to develop that side of his game.

If we bring in FdB expect him to make Eriksen a key part of his team

Whatever we do we certainly shouldn't be building a team around one player.

Back