• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Season

Re: There is always next season (our mantra)

First thing I would hope is that we qualify for the EL and don't have to play rounds that start in July:eek:

That way whoever takes over in the summer (come on it WONT be TS now will it?) gets a tournament to test different parts of the squad and hone any systems.

I would then buy TWO CBs (one to play alongside/replace Verts, the other an older season 'teacher' type in the mould of Naybet - what a signing he was);

I would buy a left-winger, another forward with pace and strength to compete with Ade if possible, a younger GK to replace Friedel.

If somebody comes in for Lennon, I'd sell him and replace him with right-sided creative dribbler if possible as well.

Though if the squad mainly stayed the same I'd be ok with that: with a good manager and coaching set-up I think this squad will perform well.

Did he? What game were you watching as the concern for me is that he did 'ok' against us on a horrendous pitch in the Ukraine, but I thought Naughton had him in his pocket in the return game, far too easily.

Destroyed walker at international level.
Personally thought he was a threat every time he picked the ball up at white hart lane, turned inside and out, 2 good feet, certainly dniprs most dangerous player.

Sherwood has done ok, but he shouldn't be cutting his teeth with us. Thus, we need a new manger, and a very good one. With the players we have, he prolly should have lots of experience.

We have 8-9 young(ish) midfielders who look average now, but 4-5 of them may come good with a better manager.

We desperately need a striker in the worst way. That's why we splurged 30 mil on Soldado, but it hasn't worked so far. Ade has done well, but he's not a two game a week player at this stage and needs to be rotated. If we added a quality third striker - and even a fourth - to the mix, it could make a big difference.

At CB we are 'ok', and its not really our biggest need. Although, Caulker should not have been sold, and maybe loaned out instead. If Cardiff go down, he might be worth buying back.

I think we are alright at full-back too. Not saying they are top drawer, but at least they are young(ish) and presumably have the potential to improve. Again, a new manager could reap dividends here too. We won't get Shaw anyway.

So, overall I'd say A) new manager and, B) a 3rd, and maybe a 4th, striker. Not saying that would equate to top 4 next season, but we'd be better. From where we sit, top 4 is prolly at least 2-years away.

I'd agree with that for sure, I would also like a better full back deputy than naughton. If they are seen as a first choice or as competing with rose for the place then that would be a bonus.

Absolutely spot on. Just mentioned in another thread those '3' behind a forward need to be natural goal getters. We havent got that, so when we play one up top, thats why he looks so isolated. Ade does ok at it, but it doesnt work for soldado. He (Kop) has a decent physique also so would slot straight into the prem.

(In reply to Konoplyanka left of a 3)

My priority would be left back. We let a LB go who played successfully in a team that finished 4th twice in the prem and featured in the successful mini run in the champs lge, and replaced him with a Sunderland loanee. Real head scratcher for me that was. Rose is proving bang average, never seen him find a player with a cross, apart from oppo's first man that is.

All I know is I am done with Spurs. Not going to give them a penny more of my hard earned cash.

I will watch all the games but won't attend. Fed up of season after season being a transitional one.

Next season we will have a new manager and it all starts again.

Fed up and disconnected from our club.

that's why i only buy the spurs jerseys at the end of the season. not only cheaper, but more importantly you get to choose the sentiment that goes along with it.

Ok lets do my FM/dream team/your the boss thing. Im going for realistic(ish) targets to inject some much needed experience and Premiership savvy.

I want a mix of foreign flair and English grit and celtic feistiness

OUTS
Lloris - will want out and i think hes overrated anyway
Vertonghen - **** attitude and overrated defender
Rose - Fryers more composed and solid
so he stays as back up
Paulinho - Poor attitude, offers little if he has a good world cup i think we can make our money back or even a profit
Livermore - too limited to be first choice
for us will want to play
Siggy - i like his attitude but he just isnt good enough
Soldado - just dont think hes suited to English football unfortunately
Kane - just not up to it

INS

David Marshall (Cardiff)- some Glaswegian rollicking will get that defence sorted, great shot stopper and safe pair of hands
Ashley Cole (Chelsea) -rumoured to be his last season at Chelsea we need to put apackage on the table and break the bank toget him. What a class signing hed be a little bit of needle and ****ishness plus a superb left back with tonnes of experience. Failing that go all out for Baines
Joleon Lescott (City) -Yeah he has the odd brain fart but he has the pace to get
awsy with it a lot of the time and i think like Bassong did he would work well with Dawson as a sweeper to his stopper
James Milner (City) - now i saw this link
to us in the press and the more i thought about it the more i like it. Hes a grafter he was excellent for Villa when he was there id play him as a box to box
player
Christian Benteke (Villa) - should have gone all out for this guy in the summer. Can you imagine how much of a handful him and Ade would be?

My team:

....Adebayor................Benteke
......................Lamela

..................,....Eriksen
.......Sandro..................Milner

Cole.....Lescott.........Dawson....Walker

........................Marshall

Lloris

Walker Kaboul Verts New LB

Sandro New CM

Lamela Eriksen Pritchard

Soldado​

If Verts leaves then bring back Caulker. We do need a playmaking CM and there are a few players we can get in who could do a job.

Just sign a left-back and a centre-back. Too many signings has been part of the problem this season. Get a top class manager in to get them playing as a cohesive unit. No garden gnome chancers or tw*ts on work experience. I want an old, ugly c**t that knows his onions.

Ok with Vertongen leaving. If we can truly get big money, then he should go. Not convinced he's the difference between us making top 4 or not, and I'd take my chances. If he goes, maybe bring back Caulker, and then spend the rest of the money elsewhere.

As for manager, we need someone like Harry at this point. Not sure it should, or could, be him. But someone like him would get more out of the younger players...and would handle press and media and touchline and boardroom and opposing players and managers better. Sherwood may or may not be good in time, but we can't serve as his apprenticeship. He wouldn't sniff any other top 4 or 6 team.

Last edited:

My wishlist for next season:

- A new manager. With a system. And a vision. Preferably a merited, experienced coach.
- A new central defender. An upgrade on Daws/Kaboul.
- A new left back.
- Keeping our best players.
- A more balanced squad (meaning getting rid of some of the dead wood)

I don't think we need a massive overhaul, as we have a lot of good players at our disposal. I'd like to see us build on a spine of Lloris - Vertonghen/new centre back - Eriksen/Sandro - Soldado/Ade, depending on the formation/system that the new manager brings in.

Having a new manager install a proper game plan, is the most important thing for me. Then let the new manager decide which types of players he needs to complete the squad, and give him that exact type of player - it doesn't have to be the first choice player, just don't buy an offensive midfielder if the manager needs a defensive one.

Then I think we'll be fine.

------------Lloris*---------------
Walker - Kaboul - Chriches - New LB
--------Sandro---Paulinho---------
Lennon ---- Eriksen--------Townsend
Adebayor

Pace up the wings. A big lad up top with nice feet. Sandro to shield, Eriksen to thread, and Paulinho to run a bit and pop up late in the box. I would really try not to sign any stars this season - the players need to gel. People who didn't fit into the system, i'd sell and replace. I'd expect Lamela to play behind the striker eventually, challenging Eriksen. If Dembele plays, it would be under instruction to raise the tempo of his play massively. Dembele also wouldn't play in Sandro's role, and I'd look to move him up the pitch where possible.

Vertonghen to be sold - it's hard to work somewhere you aren't happy and tbh I don't think he's happy. I don't know how to make Soldado work in the premier league.

If we are to make a signing - i'm going all out early on to try and land Benteke or Lukaku - players with enough similarity to adebayor to have a functional replacement, or when under pressure to put two up top.

I'd rather Huth and Shawcross at the back than any 2 of Dawson, Kaboul, Chriches or Vertonghen.

Mentioned my hopes for next season in the Sherwood thread but it was pretty lengthy so I will reduce it down. Want us to just play with no real pressure or expectation for the rest of the season now and hopefully get 5th which I think we are still favourites for given our run of games after Liverpool. That gives us Europa League football again, helps keeping our Co-efficient ticking along and gives us a chance of a good seeding pot if we get back into the Champions League. I also think it sends us straight into the group stage if I am right provided Arsenal win the FA Cup, which looks likely.

I would rather not have mass changes again but I don't actually fully believe that to be the reason why we have misfired. I think too many similar players with power but no guile, a few players who think they are better than they are and are bigger than playing for this club and no real plan b in terms of style, especially when plan a is pretty methodical and cumbersome anyway. Ultimately, I think we need to rid ourselves of personalities at the club who think they are bigger than us, those that think they should always play regardless of form and those that are simply not good enough for this club. Players like Holtby I would like to keep but I just don't know where he fits in.

Vertonghen would be gone for me. His head was gone early doors yesterday and he just looked like he was angry with everyone/everything. Lloris could go as well if we could get a big enough offer. Think he is a very good keeper but maybe not quite suited to us specifically and a bit erratic with decisions although not helped by a totally unsettled back line who seem to insist on permanantly playing virtually on the halfway line all the time despite no one being of sufficient pace to cover centrally.

This summer though we need to spend more than we get in, we just have to. I am not talking about us blowing enormous sums by comparison of what we take in but I think we have to buy proven quality which does cost so if we end up having spent say £20m more than we get in, I don't see that as a major issue for a club of our size, in this league with all the finances washing around.

OUTS: Vertonghen, Lloris, Rose, Naughton, Capoue, Chadli

POSSIBLE DEPARTURES: Dawson, Holtby, Paulinho - All dependant on an offer being above market value that makes sense to sell.

I think we need to give ourselves genuine width and guile out wide. We obviously have Lamela who hopefully will able to prove his worth next season, we have Lennon who still has a role to play, We have Townsend and also Falque who both have roles across the squad imo. We need to make sure we also have a proper balance of homegrown players in terms of regulations for both domestic and continental competition. I also think we need to have 4 forwards. 3 forwards who are very established and one who looks to breakthrough and is a hot prospect. I would have Fredericks compete with Walker at RB and I would bring Assou Ekotto back at LB to compete with a new signing and Livermore back in to replace the outgoing Capoue.

INS: Griezmann (LM/LW), Bony (CF), Batshauyi (CF), Blind/Davies/Umtiti (LB), Begovic (GK), Garay (CB) + another keeper to understudy Begovic

In: Blind jnr, Clasie and Griezmann.

Out: BAE, Rose, Dembele, Siggy and Livermore.

That's all. Not too big a net spend either.

Personally I'd keepRose but iy another left back and Blind could be the answer

Classie and Griezmann would really excite me and would tick the attacking creative box to play with eriksen and Lamella (classie in the middle 2)

Were really not that far away but this season we have had too much Stryker and now have none on the pitch

A quality a manger can sort that quickly IMO but we don't want too many changes again

Mentioned my hopes for next season in the Sherwood thread but it was pretty lengthy so I will reduce it down. Want us to just play with no real pressure or expectation for the rest of the season now and hopefully get 5th which I think we are still favourites for given our run of games after Liverpool. That gives us Europa League football again, helps keeping our Co-efficient ticking along and gives us a chance of a good seeding pot if we get back into the Champions League. I also think it sends us straight into the group stage if I am right provided Arsenal win the FA Cup, which looks likely.

I would rather not have mass changes again but I don't actually fully believe that to be the reason why we have misfired. I think too many similar players with power but no guile, a few players who think they are better than they are and are bigger than playing for this club and no real plan b in terms of style, especially when plan a is pretty methodical and cumbersome anyway. Ultimately, I think we need to rid ourselves of personalities at the club who think they are bigger than us, those that think they should always play regardless of form and those that are simply not good enough for this club. Players like Holtby I would like to keep but I just don't know where he fits in.

Vertonghen would be gone for me. His head was gone early doors yesterday and he just looked like he was angry with everyone/everything. Lloris could go as well if we could get a big enough offer. Think he is a very good keeper but maybe not quite suited to us specifically and a bit erratic with decisions although not helped by a totally unsettled back line who seem to insist on permanantly playing virtually on the halfway line all the time despite no one being of sufficient pace to cover centrally.

This summer though we need to spend more than we get in, we just have to. I am not talking about us blowing enormous sums by comparison of what we take in but I think we have to buy proven quality which does cost so if we end up having spent say £20m more than we get in, I don't see that as a major issue for a club of our size, in this league with all the finances washing around.

OUTS: Vertonghen, Lloris, Rose, Naughton, Capoue, Chadli

POSSIBLE DEPARTURES: Dawson, Holtby, Paulinho - All dependant on an offer being above market value that makes sense to sell.

I think we need to give ourselves genuine width and guile out wide. We obviously have Lamela who hopefully will able to prove his worth next season, we have Lennon who still has a role to play, We have Townsend and also Falque who both have roles across the squad imo. We need to make sure we also have a proper balance of homegrown players in terms of regulations for both domestic and continental competition. I also think we need to have 4 forwards. 3 forwards who are very established and one who looks to breakthrough and is a hot prospect. I would have Fredericks compete with Walker at RB and I would bring Assou Ekotto back at LB to compete with a new signing and Livermore back in to replace the outgoing Capoue.

INS: Griezmann (LM/LW), Bony (CF), Batshauyi (CF), Blind/Davies/Umtiti (LB), Begovic (GK), Garay (CB) + another keeper to understudy Begovic

7 new senior signings - what could possibly go wrong?

Personally I'd keepRose but iy another left back and Blind could be the answer

Classie and Griezmann would really excite me and would tick the attacking creative box to play with eriksen and Lamella (classie in the middle 2)

Were really not that far away but this season we have had too much Stryker and now have none on the pitch

A quality a manger can sort that quickly IMO but we don't want too many changes again

I just think Fryers has shown that he's as good as Rose now, and far less of a knob/liability.

7 new senior signings - what could possibly go wrong?

I just think Fryers has shown that he's as good as Rose now, and far less of a knob/liability.

As I have stated, I don't neccessarily think it is a completely valid reason for how our season has gone. The amount of signings is a lazy cop out in my mind. Lamela and Capoue have hardly played and Chiriches has probably played only a third of games overall. In terms of Eriksen, Soldado, Chadli and Paulinho, they have had good and bad moments thus far to varying degrees but being new players and one of 7 is not imo a reason why they haven't shone. The problem goes deeper than that.

As I have stated, I don't neccessarily think it is a completely valid reason for how our season has gone. The amount of signings is a lazy cop out in my mind. Lamela and Capoue have hardly played and Chiriches has probably played only a third of games overall. In terms of Eriksen, Soldado, Chadli and Paulinho, they have had good and bad moments thus far to varying degrees but being new players and one of 7 is not imo a reason why they haven't shone. The problem goes deeper than that.

I was slightly jesting. It's not just the 7 however, 15 of our 22 have arrived in the last 18 months.

For me the problem is not the players, but the lack of direction and organisation. I'd really like to see LVG work with this squad before we shuffle the deck again. Remember it's still the same squad that 6 months ago everyone thought was a Willian and a Coentrao away from being capable of winning the league.

I also don't think we've got the funds to support a big spend. We know we'll need a zero net spend at the very most), as has been our restraint for the last 5-6 years. Even cashing in on Verts and Lloris wouldn't raise much over £30m combined - GKs are always lowly priced and Verts' value will have dropped significantly with his performances this past 3 months.

Rather than a big round of moneyball and an inevitably unbalanced and unsettled squad again, I would much rather just address the priority areas (LB, LF and deep ballplaying CM), and let the new coach get the rest into shape. van Gaal doesn't like transfers after all.

Back