• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next England Manager Thread

I just dont buy that the mentality of the all those Untied players that won everything changed when the put on an England shirt. I wouldnt question the mentality of Kane or Dier for a second.

Sven was a complete fraud who was bought a title at Lazio after getting mid table finishes for a decade in that league.

Capello was the guy that phoned up Scholes and Carragher begging them to come back right before the world cup and then started Heskey upfront in 2010. This was when Heskey was at Villa and scoring 3 league goals a season. In the same game he started Gerard and Lampard in a midfield two as if he never had watched them fail in the same team for a decade. The reality is Capello has been semi retired since he stopped club management but a few weeks a year with England and Russia have neted him nice pay days.

If England are gonna get a foreign manager it has to be one that gives a brick not someone with fudge all to prove happy to take a cheque and not really caring of this job just doesn't work out.

England has a long history of not achieving, I say "not achieving" because I almost think underachieving is the wrong word.

As others have alluded to, the majority of the best players at Man United, Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool, Chelsea etc were foreign. Not saying the English players didn't contribute but the Premier League is dominated by foreigners. One big failing of multiple England managers was the lack of bottle when it came to dropping Lampard. Him and Gerrard were too similar but not one England manager had the foresight to realise this.

International tournaments are typically won by countries who are technically much more comfortable on the ball than England are. As good as our players were back then and even now, can you honestly say they look comfortable on the ball compared to Italy or Germany for example?

I get that England managers make a lot of mistakes, but surely at some point you have to consider other factors than simply blaming the manager?

I wonder what the expectancy levels would be in this country had goal line technology been around in 1966 and correctly not given the infamous goal against Germany in the final.

It is quite remarkable as to just how inferior England players look when juxtaposed with players, from even quite small nations. The only exception to this was a ten year period from 1986 through to 1996. We had great players and a great team spirit too, or so it seemed. I thought England were the best team of the last four in Italia 90 and only a complete fluke of a goal from Germany in the semi cost us the tournament.

It is quite remarkable as to just how inferior England players look when juxtaposed with players, from even quite small nations. The only exception to this was a ten year period from 1986 through to 1996. We had great players and a great team spirit too, or so it seemed. I thought England were the best team of the last four in Italia 90 and only a complete fluke of a goal from Germany in the semi cost us the tournament.

Even though we had some fantastic players then during that 10 year period in 86 didn't we lose our first two group games before beating Poland and then Paraguay before losing to Maradona. So 2 wins from 5 games there

In Euro 88 we lost all 3 group games and crashed out of the tournament.

In Euro 92 we lost 2 of the group games iirc and again went home at the group stage.

World cup 94 we failed to qualify

1990 was good, but again after a slow start drawing against Ireland and Holland in the group stage

Even though we had some fantastic players then during that 10 year period in 86 didn't we lose our first two group games before beating Poland and then Paraguay before losing to Maradona. So 2 wins from 5 games there

In Euro 92 we lost 2 of the group games iirc and again went home at the group stage.

1990 was good, but again after a slow start drawing against Ireland and Holland in the group stage

in 90 we only really played well in the semi, we were lucky against Belgium and Cameroon imo

rQUOTE="indianspur, post: 825776, member: 480"]Even though we had some fantastic players then during that 10 year period in 86 didn't we lose our first two group games before beating Poland and then Paraguay before losing to Maradona. So 2 wins from 5 games there

1990 was good, but again after a slow start drawing against Ireland and Holland in the group stage[/QUOTE]
I just thought individually, our players did not look out of place. we played some great stuff in Mexico. Other than that game against Algeria/ Morocco I think it was. The other side was Portugual. Drew, didn't lose.

I just thought individually, our players did not look out of place. we played some great stuff in Mexico. Other than that game against Algeria/ Morocco I think it was. The other side was Portugual. Drew, didn't lose.

In 1986 England Lost the first game 1-0 vs Portugal, then drew 0-0 vs Morocco before beating Poland 3-0 to seal 2nd place in the group.
That tournament was when i started watching/following football regularly.

I don't think England have been much different in that time: generally Defensively solid, treat the ball like a hot potato and eventually get knocked out by someone who is
a) just has enough guile to get past the usually solid defence
b) just better at taking penalties

International tournaments are typically won by countries who are technically much more comfortable on the ball than England are. As good as our players were back then and even now, can you honestly say they look comfortable on the ball compared to Italy or Germany for example?

They really are.
That's the point I'm making this technical gap has been made up. England's players can happily playing boring sideways possession football all day now.
Italys pass success for instance has been 78-79% in every game they've played. England's has been 82-89% with 4 strikers. Germany and Spain's has been 85%-92% with teams full of midfielders.

England's problem was they had no plan to break anyone down. That is down to the manager. Throwing Cahill upfront at the end against Iceland sums it up.

Winterbottom, Ramsey, Mercer, Revie, Greenwood, Robson, Taylor, Venables, Hoddle, Wilkenson, Keegan, Taylor, Sven, Maclaren, Capello, Pearce, Hodgson.

Since i have been watching football all those above have taken charge of England games ( although a couple of them were caretaker) and except from one or two of them they have all been slagged of in the press and fans for being ( boring, brick, clueless, out of their depth, not tactical enough, too tactical etc). Fans and the media KEEP blaming and banging on about the manager ( who has to carry some of the blame i admit) but generally its the players who have not been good enough and we have seen it again this past week or so.

We can bury our heads in the sand ( which some keep doing) and put it all down to clueless managers but it will never be any different if we keep doing that, its a kop out.

Cannot believe that anyone with the intelligence to be able to read and write thinks Hoddle would be a good choice. Average pundit, consistent history of poor man management skills and has been out of the game for well over a decade. I'd honestly rather have Sherwood.

Real lack of proven English managers out there at the moment. But that does not excuse ever going for a foreign manager which should not be allowed for any country any more than picking foreign players IMO.

It's not that the players are bad. It's the same squad who played against Iceland that played Germany off the park away from home recently. I would say from the McClaren era until the early Hodgson era there was a lack of technical quality in the team but that's not the case now, we have some very talented players. Our problem is a combination of players getting burnt out from a physically demanding league and managers making poor tactical decisions. We're not going to be successful trying to play possession based football in our opponents half until we have an Ozil/Silva/Fabregas type who can pick out key passes in tight areas against teams defending deep. We should be looking to play a bit deeper ourselves and hit teams on the counter attack using the pace that we have in attack.

I think thats very harsh on Sven, he did a very good job with England imo

Sven had Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard, Scholes, Hargreaves, Carrick, Owen, Rooney, King, Ferdinand, Terry, Campbell, Cole and Neville all at the peak of their powers. The fact that he never managed to get past a quarter-final and went out to the same manager all three times who was managing a weaker team each time (except perhaps the time he had home advantage) was farcical. The guy had absolutely no tactical sense, just a desire to showcase his favourite players as often as he could regardless of form, fitness or what formation we were playing. I don't think I've ever been as shocked at a managerial decision as the one to take the 16 year old Walcott who he'd never seen play to the World Cup when Rooney and Owen were both crocked and then to pussy out of ever actually putting him on the pitch. An utterly dreadful manager who completely wasted what was probably the best crop of players we've ever had and played pathetically bad football involving Emile Heskey that was terrible to watch for years.

Cannot believe that anyone with the intelligence to be able to read and write thinks Hoddle would be a good choice. Average pundit, consistent history of poor man management skills and has been out of the game for well over a decade. I'd honestly rather have Sherwood.

Real lack of proven English managers out there at the moment. But that does not excuse ever going for a foreign manager which should not be allowed for any country any more than picking foreign players IMO.

It's not that the players are bad. It's the same squad who played against Iceland that played Germany off the park away from home recently. I would say from the McClaren era until the early Hodgson era there was a lack of technical quality in the team but that's not the case now, we have some very talented players. Our problem is a combination of players getting burnt out from a physically demanding league and managers making poor tactical decisions. We're not going to be successful trying to play possession based football in our opponents half until we have an Ozil/Silva/Fabregas type who can pick out key passes in tight areas against teams defending deep. We should be looking to play a bit deeper ourselves and hit teams on the counter attack using the pace that we have in attack.

Sven had Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard, Scholes, Hargreaves, Carrick, Owen, Rooney, King, Ferdinand, Terry, Campbell, Cole and Neville all at the peak of their powers. The fact that he never managed to get past a quarter-final and went out to the same manager all three times who was managing a weaker team each time (except perhaps the time he had home advantage) was farcical. The guy had absolutely no tactical sense, just a desire to showcase his favourite players as often as he could regardless of form, fitness or what formation we were playing. I don't think I've ever been as shocked at a managerial decision as the one to take the 16 year old Walcott who he'd never seen play to the World Cup when Rooney and Owen were both crocked and then to pussy out of ever actually putting him on the pitch. An utterly dreadful manager who completely wasted what was probably the best crop of players we've ever had and played pathetically bad football involving Emile Heskey that was terrible to watch for years.

I see it as a set of poor options, Hoddle is a safe pair of hands.

Personally I don't care what the nationality is.

Yes, Sven did have some great players, but I don't think they underperformed for him, the Portugal and Brazil squads you reference were still stronger imo.

I wonder what the expectancy levels would be in this country had goal line technology been around in 1966 and correctly not given the infamous goal against Germany in the final.

At least a foot over and we thrashed the Squareheads 4-2 anyway.
⚽⚽⚽⚽

the Hurst ghost goal was the third, not the one that forced ET

Goals change games and we'll never know

Getting a manager who has a clear plan, charisma and get players on board ? El Tel did really well with Euro 1996.

I thought Hoddle did ok with Becks generation till he got the boot for a non-footy reason.

Either Arry Redknapp or ... Sam Alardyce. Dunno why, but fat Sam strikes me as clever manager who looks at the overall pic and getting the sum of the pieces playing well. Alan Curbishley ?

I really don't know how well Gareth Southgate is doing, seems like an intelligent fella. You want a person with a clear game plan, but can switch things on the fly to get results on the pitch.

Bottom line is you win some and you lose some.

The Welsh goals last night were excellent and the team out performed Belgium on the night, that's showbiz!

Too many teams are being overhyped and far too many are being under estimated!

Back