• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next England Manager Thread

Apparently Rooney will be consulted.
One of the three making the decision is David Gill.
I really have a feeling it will be Neville.

I don't think David Gill being involved points to Neville. He was never involved with the football side of the club at Man U. Also, he left at the same time as Ferguson, so has never been involved in the appointment of a manager.

Add that to a Chief Exec with limited history in football, and the only way this could be 'jobs for the boys' appointment would be someone linked to the Technical Director Dan Ashworth.

the england team has an england problem thats rooted in years of self suffering and mismanagement, we need someone who gets the english psyche having been here for many years but isn't english, who gets this country's playing style but has continental "flair", someone who has had major success years ago but needs to end his career on a high, there is only one who fits the bill, step forward Wenger

I can't seeing Wenger being a good fit. Remember they hardly get to spend any real time with the squad, so it's not like he could get any old 11 to play the Arsenal way just like that (If that's even what we'd want) I also don't think Wenger is the kind've guy to light a fire under the team and inspire them. I can't remember which pundit said it but they said we can't just keep going for older 'school teacher' managers, it just hasn't worked. We need an inspiring coach with good man management skills to just get players to go out and play without fear, not get bogged down in overly complicated tactics they are not used to etc.

Just my opinion though.. And I can't see many outstanding young coaches these players would play for.. People like Shearer and Neville haven't got any decent experience so not sure who I'd suggest?

Lars Lagerbäck. Tactically he's better than any of those in the poll. Don't think he'd be interested though, as he plans to retire as far as I know.

I feel the manager of England should be English, so there's not a lot of stand out candidates.
Don't think it would be right for Eddie Howe's career and not sure if he could deal with all the bug egos at this stage in his career.
Hoddle first choice for me or Redknapp if not, for his flaws he is an excellent man manager.

Hoddle or Klinsmann, with Howe as part-time #2 (the Joachim Low 2004-6 role)

I actually don't rate Klinsmann as a coach, and wouldn't want him in the Spurs job. But I think he's fantastic in a kind of leadership DoF in an international setup type role.

Yeah Ghoddle is a changed person and would slot in nicely as an England manager again. Plus having done the job before can only help.

However I don't see the FA going there. They would be scared of the media reaction.

I think he's mellowed a lot in the intervening 16 years. He won't still be a better player than everyone in the squad, like he was in 1996-8, which I think was part of his problem.

He still thinks he the better player..............that will never go away.
Listen to him as a commentator.....its constant criticism......of all players.

I loved him as a player....but he is like a that Harry Enfield character who was always saying "you dont want to do it like that........."

I've longed held the view that we should abandon any notions of our national team dominating the opposition. IMO, we should seek to develop a tactically aware defensive unit that has a fast counter attacking style of play (Leicester/Italy). A team that maximises it's set piece opportunities.

We need to try and be more like Iceland rather than Spain.

Therefore, sad to say, I'd go with either Pardew, BFS and then maybe Dyche as a successor . I feel we need to do this for the next few tournaments at least, if only to restore some self belief.

I've longed held the view that we should abandon any notions of our national team dominating the opposition. IMO, we should seek to develop a tactically aware defensive unit that has a fast counter attacking style of play (Leicester/Italy). A team that maximises it's set piece opportunities.

We need to try and be more like Iceland rather than Spain.

Therefore, sad to say, I'd go with either Pardew, BFS and then maybe Dyche as a successor . I feel we need to do this for the next few tournaments at least, if only to restore some self belief.

We can only build a team with the players available and English players have shown continually they can't play a similar style to top international sides so a more pragmatic approach should be tried, it certainly won't please the media as they are more delusional than the fans. I'm not a fan of that type of football but am sick of the embarrassing performances that we have at each tournament and would rather we didn't qualify than see more of the same.

We can only build a team with the players available and English players have shown continually they can't play a similar style to top international sides so a more pragmatic approach should be tried, it certainly won't please the media as they are more delusional than the fans. I'm not a fan of that type of football but am sick of the embarrassing performances that we have at each tournament and would rather we didn't qualify than see more of the same.

Our tournament record is simply embarrassing. Our approach to these month long events is all wrong.

Agree with you, we need to be more pragmatic.

This is pretty much spot on by Raphael Honigstein

https://www.redbulletin.com/int/en/...ht-for-england-despite-euro-2016-embarrasment

Enomists speak of the “this time it’s different” syndrome: the false belief that underlying fundamentals no longer apply and that the situation bears no resemblance to past catastrophes.

I, too, convinced myself rather foolishly that this time would be different for England at the Euros in France. This was a young, talented, hungry team, in an easy group, in a tournament low on teams with genuine quality. Why shouldn’t they make it to the semi-finals at least?

Events in Nice have since made such optimism appear utterly unfounded and naive. But I still cannot accept that these players, for all their various, much discussed short-comings – the tiredness, the inability to engage with the media in a grown-up manner, the psychological frailty, the inherent lack of appetite for personal development and learning about their own profession – were incapable of beating Russia, Slovakia and Iceland this month.

Hubris, the foremost bane of the “Golden Generation” in the last decade, is no longer a decisive problem, and neither is a dearth of young, technically proficient players getting regular playing time in the Premier League. We can all agree that there should be more ogf them, but Roy Hodgson easily had enough quality in the squad to play some decent, more successful football.

The Football Association cannot cure of all the game’s ills. Many of them are not of their own making to begin with. The FA will not be able to reduce club wages, force Premier League media officers to treat their players like adults or make foreign owners hire local coaches to reduce the nation’s reliance on external expertise.

But what they can and must do, right now, is to make sure that the considerable wealth of talent that does exist is better utilised in the near future. Appointing the right national manager is absolutely crucial in that respect.

The list of potential candidates, English or otherwise, doesn’t make for an uplifting read. Before the FA’s task-force starts running off in half a dozen different directions to sound out possible successors to Hodgson, however, it’s vital that they first think long and hard about the qualities the new man should bring to the job. They must resist the urge to go for a name, to be dazzled by the brand. Instead, they should look very closely at the methods of the coach in question and talk to as many of his players and co-workers as possible.

How good is his training, really? Are players able and willing to perform to specific instructions or simply trusted to get on with it and rely on their own qualities? Does he have the natural authority to connect with players; can he unite a dressing room and invoke courage where fear has festered? Is he stubborn and confident enough to back his own judgement in the face of 60 million critics? Is he, at the same time, also smart and flexible enough to produce a plan that’s good to look at even though some of the pieces will still be missing?

And most importantly: what kind of football does he stand for and how likely is it to bring success in light of the players available? It shouldn’t have come as a surprise that Hodgson’s reign was at its most coherent and convincing when the post-Fabio Capello crisis called for a pragmatic, defensive approach in 2012. As soon as the emergence of exciting attacking players raised expectations of a different kind of team - “We should have a go!” the newspapers cried, ahead of the 2014 World Cup - the 68-year-old was lost.

Another good idea would be the installation of a former player as general manager of the national team to lighten the head coach’s load. The role would entail liaising between manager and the FA, being in charge of all organisational matters and the creation of an environment conducive to togetherness.

As a former pro, he’d be able to look at things from a player’s perspective and set the tone for behaviour, ambition and attitude. He could relieve the manager of some of his media duties, make it possible to concentrate on what really matters: the coaching. Needless to say, the two men must work in tandem and get on well with each other.

The irony of the latest disaster this summer is that England had already done most of the hard work to make the situation different this time: they had the players. And they will have the players for Russia 2018, many of whom will have enjoyed the coaching work ofPep Guardiola, José Mourinho, Jürgen Klopp and Antonio Conteby then. The future is bright enough. If only the FA can pick the right man, or men, that is.

Back