• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next England Manager Thread

If technical ability is so important, how come Wales are in the semis?
Err... could it be because of technical ability?

giphy.gif

at least Glenn (aways think of hoddle when I type that) made good noises that the next manager won't be given a wheelbarrow of money for doing a part time gig badly, the 12 million a year given it messrs Eriksen and Capello is absurd compared to what other national managers got, imagine how many state of the art training pitches and proper coaches could have been hired to work with youngsters. The whole set up is a disgrace, its like FIFA but not as corrupt.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jul/02/england-euro-2016-friction-roy-hodgson-gary-neville

England’s Euro 2016 undermined by friction between Roy Hodgson and Gary Neville
• England manager’s methods were openly questioned by his own staff
• ‘The players got on fine. It was the coaches who fell out,’ the Observer is told

The England manager Roy Hodgson, right, and his coach Gary Neville may not have always seen eye to eye. Photograph: BPI/Rex/Shutterstock

Exclusive by Daniel Taylor

@DTguardian
Saturday 2 July 2016 22.30 BSTLast modified on Sunday 3 July 201600.20 BST

England’s Euro 2016 campaign was undermined by a deterioration in the working relationship between Roy Hodgson and Gary Neville and a series of disagreements among the coaching staff, the Observer can reveal.

While the England players bonded well during the tournament, it has emerged there was friction behind the scenes when it came to Hodgson and members of his backroom staff.

Although the relevant people all have considerable respect for one another, in the worst moments there was a clear divide about the team’s methods and, in particular, signs of tension between Hodgson and Neville.
Others became involved, with Hodgson’s methods openly being questioned by his own staff. “The players got on fine,” this newspaper has been told. “It was the coaches who fell out.”

The Football Association was so concerned about high jinks at the team’s base in Chantilly it has also emerged the £500-a-night Auberge du Jeu de Paume was told to remove its chandeliers before the players arrived or risk them being smashed. The hotel reopened this weekend and staff have revealed they took down their most expensive glass fittings because the FA was worried they might be damaged.

While the players were generally supportive of Hodgson and angered by reports that they questioned Raheem Sterling’s selection in the Iceland game, the fact they took it upon themselves to remove Harry Kane from corner-taking duties indicates they were not always happy with the manager’s tactics.

Hodgson’s training methods – questioned by Steven Gerrard after the last World Cup – were one source of the disagreements. Neville had a close ally in Dave Watson, the goalkeeping coach. Players have complained of mixed messages and the general sense of confusion is not eased by the revelation that one turned to the dugout during the Iceland defeat and asked where a team-mate was supposed to be playing.

The revelations come on the same day the FA’s chief executive, Martin Glenn, described his predecessors as “naive” for paying so much to previous England managers and made it clear the next appointment would be offered a performance-related salary.

Hodgson’s annual £3.5m pay meant he had the highest basic salary of all the managers at Euro 2016, though still considerably less than the £6m-a-year packages that were put in place for Fabio Capello and Sven-Goran Eriksson.

“Roy’s got a fortune but it’s half the fortune that Fabio got,” Glenn said. “The argument against Sven and Fabio in the past was that it wasn’t benchmarked. We were just naive. I think we will pay a benchmark salary for the right person. To start off, it has to be results-orientated.

“My view on these things is: take the emotion out of it, what are benchmark earnings for top-quality football management? To get a really good person, if they are currently earning £4m in a club you have to be in that zone.”

Glenn, describing himself as “distressed” by England’s failings, added: “Luckily, we’ve got the FA finances
now. It’s been ugly but we’ve restructured, we’ve reorganised, we’re in a better financial position than we’ve ever been, which doesn’t mean I want to be lax with the money.

“I know a little bit about what Joachim Löw gets. There are other things in there that we don’t have in ours. Certainly in the case of Germany there’s a percentage of the sponsorship figure that goes direct to the manager. So when you look at the total package it’s little bit different.

“We need to be in the zone of what the world champions are paying and, competitively, how to make it attractive to someone. We are going into the market and you’ve got to pay a market attractive rate, but no one wants to be naive.”

England will begin the new era with a friendly at Wembley on 1 September, pencilled in against the Czech Republic, followed three days later by a game in Slovakia for the team’s first World Cup qualifier. If an appointment has not been made before then it is still possible Gareth Southgate, the Under-21s manager, will be asked to fill in purely for those two games.

Southgate is reluctant to be appointed as interim manager and, privately, the FA has admitted that decision has caught them on the hop. Glenn and his colleagues expected Southgate to jump at the chance.

Arsène Wenger has given the FA little encouragement and that leaves an extensive list of candidates that features Laurent Blanc, Roberto Martínez, Slaven Bilic and Jürgen Klinsmann, with Glenn Hoddle, Sam Allardyce, Steve Bruce and Eddie Howe leading the list of English options.

Glenn reiterated that he would prefer an English manager “but if you look at it there aren’t that many at the top level”.

To that effect, the FA is not restricting its search, especially when it has already been reported that senior players actively want a foreign appointment, believing the English candidates to be underwhelming. Wayne Rooney, Joe Hart and James Milner will all be consulted but the FA is already aware of feelings in the dressing room.

Glenn confirmed Steve Peters, the psychiatrist who formed part of Hodgson’s entourage in France, was unlikely to be involved in the new regime on the basis the FA wanted dedicated full-time people to help get into the players’ minds.

“Steve has been great and fair play to Roy because it was a bit of leap in the dark,” Glenn said. “I think there is an open question now of: ‘Could we use people like Steve or others in a more structured way, in the way we do with the development teams?’ That is an open question and I would want the next England manager to be open to that type of idea.”​

Long but well thought out piece from Ghod.
Setting out his stall?
http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/sport...cify-youngsters-defeat-Iceland-Euro-2016.html

He should be given the job i know they will be many who disagree ( but that would be the same for whoever they pick). There was a lot of crap written by the papers when he was removed and it was a witch hunt by the media. The main reason the media turned on him had nothing to do with Drewery ( sp) or the results he got while manager.

What Glenn did during his time as England manager is restrict the time that the hacks could have with the players during the competition. Under previous managers there was no real strict rules that the hacks had to abide too and could approach players and get quotes or whatever. Hoddle made the decision that the hacks could only talk/approach the players at certain times and they did not like it. This was the reason they all turned and to make it worse they said there was only one person who the country wanted as the next manager ( and one that was always willing to give them a headline) the messiah known as Keegan ( and we all know how that turned out) and that episode is the main reason " rent a quote" never had a chance to replace Capello as the FA did not want the same embarrassment to happen.

Of all the mangers mentioned i do believe he would be the right choice.

I'd be a bit concerned that Hoddle has been out of management for so long. But I don't see an obvious better candidate.

Otherwise we could try something different, joint managers. Boris Johnson and Jeremy Corbyn need new jobs and can they do any worse?

I'd be a bit concerned that Hoddle has been out of management for so long. But I don't see an obvious better candidate.

Otherwise we could try something different, joint managers. Boris Johnson and Jeremy Corbyn need new jobs and can they do any worse?

Someone I was talking with yesterday suggested a joint effort with Southgate and Hoddle. With Hoddle in the more media facing role and Southgate working directly with the players. I guess something like that might work but it also could be subject to disagreement and falling out somewhere down the line.
Hoddle has been away from management, that's true. Is he still involved in coaching through his academy or is that pretty much arms length? I do feel he could have something to offer and certainly left last time with unfinished business.
He is more media savvy now (being part of the media machine himself). There were question marks before over his man management skills and if this were likely to be an issue would working in a duo with someone like Southgate help allay that?
Obviously there's baggage with Hoddle in terms of what he said previously about karma etc. (Although imagine sacking someone now because of a well established religious belief). But we have also thankfully got rid of many of the old guard at the FA and I feel a more pragmatic approach will be taken this time around.

at least Glenn (aways think of hoddle when I type that) made good noises that the next manager won't be given a wheelbarrow of money for doing a part time gig badly, the 12 million a year given it messrs Eriksen and Capello is absurd compared to what other national managers got, imagine how many state of the art training pitches and proper coaches could have been hired to work with youngsters. The whole set up is a disgrace, its like FIFA but not as corrupt.

12m a year?
Going by reports Hodgson was paid up to £3.9m a year, Capello's salary peaked at £6m a year, McClaren was around £2.5m a year, Eriksson £4.5m by the time he left.

The average basic salary for a top international manger at the moment seems to be around the £2m, but that's before bonuses linked to qualification, tournament results, world rankings etc. Loew will get paid more by Germany in total, but as Glenn has said he has an incentive based contract.

Not sure how the english FA can be compared to FIFAs corruption. FIFA have had the same people in position for years exploiting their positions, where the FA has a regular turnover of senior people. Perhaps lazy in thinking they could buy success, but no evidence of corruption.

Id like Hoddle to get another shot, but lets face it, it dosn't matter who it is its almost impossible for it to get any worse than it is at the moment.

Even someone like Allardyyce, at the very least we would be f**king organised which is the very least you would expect.At the moment we have no organisation, no skill, no real plan, no freedom, no movement. The amount of movement is actually shocking, the front four just just stands still in a straight line waiting for the ball to be passed to them, its like watching an u15 team.

we have also thankfully got rid of many of the old guard at the FA and I feel a more pragmatic approach will be taken this time around.

I think Keegan was the last manager to be appointed by the old "International Committee" model.

Since then the FA have had 4 different chairman (about to appoint a 5th), 5 different chief executives, and are currently looking for the 5th permanent England manager.

Every time it is someone different appointing the manager, and every manager is billed as a being a pragmatic answer to the failures of their predecessor. Perhaps the problem is a lack of continuity at the top?

Id like Hoddle to get another shot, but lets face it, it dosn't matter who it is its almost impossible for it to get any worse than it is at the moment.

Its not the worst position, it's actually a pretty typical position for a new England Manager.

Venables and Capello were taking over teams that had failed to qualify for the previous tournament. Eriksson took on a team that had finished bottom of its euros group. McClaren and Hodgson both got the job when the team was performing at a similar level as now.

Hodgson has made a career of boring, uninspired football, why did anyone think it would be different this time? England may not have the players to win Euro or WC, but no question, they should/couldn't play better and get better results.

Here's how you pick new manager (and the "must be English" requirement is total flimflam)
- Are you willing to leave recently injured players behind? (Beckham, Rooney, Wheelchair, list goes on)
- Do you have a system/plan?
- Are you willing to pick the best team vs. best players? (a decade of shoehorning Gerrard/Lampard into same team)
- Are you willing to pick players on form vs. club they play for (how many Scum players with minimal PL appearances?)

Additionally I would want to understand how that manager would use what English players are best at (pace/power), I watch a PL game and its quick/fast/physical, I watch the same players playing in for England and its like someone has confused playing slowly with "being tactical"

Wenger/Billic as they are decent, and they weaken teams we hate anyway ...

Hodgson has made a career of boring, uninspired football, why did anyone think it would be different this time? England may not have the players to win Euro or WC, but no question, they should/couldn't play better and get better results.

Here's how you pick new manager (and the "must be English" requirement is total hogwash)
- Are you willing to leave recently injured players behind? (Beckham, Rooney, Wheelchair, list goes on)
- Are you willing to pick the best team vs. best players? (a decade of shoehorning Gerrard/Lampard into same team)
- Are you willing to pick players on form vs. club they play for (how many Scum players with minimal PL appearances?)

Additionally I would want to understand how that manager would use what English players are best at (pace/power), I watch a PL game and its quick/fast/physical, I watch the same players playing in for England and its like someone has confused playing slowly with "being tactical"

That kind of crashes with the FA's demand that you have to include the biggest names for PR/sponsor/ad campaign reasons.

Here's how you pick new manager (and the "must be English" requirement is total hogwash)

As jordinho said but also the press and England fans inability to not react as prompted.
Look at France for instance, they take payet, a player that's had a good season at a team that has overachieved, and he gets game time. Can you imagine a Roy taking a player in a similar situation? The press would have went mental. How can you leave behind all these players at big clubs that cost a fortune? Look at vardy, won the league, 2nd top scorer (?) been on fire yet hardly gets a kick, because
you can't drop Rooney and/or Sturridge.
It's an impossible and thankless job.
England do have the players to get to semi finals, finals and with some luck win tournaments, what they don't have is the base to build it from.

Seems like those are the questions they ask. You might want to specify the desired answers.

As jordinho said but also the press and England fans inability to not react as prompted.
Look at France for instance, they take payet, a player that's had a good season at a team that has overachieved, and he gets game time. Can you imagine a Roy taking a player in a similar situation? The press would have went mental. How can you leave behind all these players at big clubs that cost a fortune? Look at vardy, won the league, 2nd top scorer (?) been on fire yet hardly gets a kick, because
you can't drop Rooney and/or Sturridge.

It's an impossible and thankless job.
England do have the players to get to semi finals, finals and with some luck win tournaments, what they don't have is the base to build it from.

it could be that he's actually crap...

it could be that he's actually crap...
Im looking at the wider picture. England go into every tournament with an attitude of we have better players than most teams, ergo we will do well. Methods, systems and tactics are all very well for other lesser teams but we don't need them, we are England!
Then are after a poor display and knock out there's loads of head scratching and soul searching just to get back the the same conclusion.

Back