• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New New Manager Poll (The Lets Get It Right This Time Edition)

Who Do You Want Then?

• Poch

Votes: 58 43.3%
  • Gallardo

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • De Zerbi

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Enrique

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Carrick

• Kompany

• Other

Votes: 23 17.2%
  • Tuchel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nagelsmann

Votes: 24 17.9%
  • Slot

Votes: 17 12.7%

• Total voters
He plays brick football, Chelsea fans hated it. i just can't deal with another one of their rejects playing brick boring football - got too much going on in life these days to waste my time on a football team that's a chore to watch

But he played some good football at Mainz and Dortmund. I voted for him myself but after a few days thinking about it, I think the choice should be made on criteria that, unfortunately, supporters can't see. We've appointed two of the best managers of the past ten years in terms of results in Mourinho and Conte and it didn't work. You could argue that Tuchel won the Champions League but who cares, at the end of the day? We're not going to win it in the next three years - which is the average lifespan of a top-flight manager.

I'd try looking for a guy with a project, someone who wants to build something. I wouldn't listen to managers who promise you instant success but I wouldn't be interested in a guy who says he'd deliver in 5-6 years - he won't be around by that time anyway. Just two questions: where should we be three years from now and what kind of relationship do you want to establish with your playing squad?

Then I'd look at the record of those who passed the first test, check out where their clubs were when they came and where they were when they left.

And then I'd roll the dice because no matter how hard you think about it and how much data analysis you're willing to make anything can happen. I'm pretty sure we'd be in a different situation now if Ventrone was still here. At some point, you have to accept there's an element of luck when you appoint a manager.

Agne, poch, zerbi, gallardo seem to be a fit for me. Gasperini is getting a bit old and not sure he speaks english. Galtier is at psg and howe is at Saudi Sportswashing Machine. The last 3 were my picks to replace mourinho.

What is it people are seeing in De Zerbi - am I missing something?

Done a good job at Brighton and plays decent football, granted. But he's been there a few months - is there anything else on his CV that makes him an attractive proposition? Had a quick look on Wikipedia and it looked a little patchy.

Done a good job at Brighton and plays decent football, granted. But he's been there a few months - is there anything else on his CV that makes him an attractive proposition? Had a quick look on Wikipedia and it looked a little patchy.

Poch 2. Poch wasn't long at soton.

I remember thinking why did soton sack their old manager? He did well. Then i saw them play under poch and thought, ok that's why.

Poch 2. Poch wasn't long at soton.

I remember thinking why did soton sack their old manager? He did well. Then i saw them play under poch and thought, ok that's why.

That's a good answer to be fair but Poch did have 18 months at Southampton. De Zerbi has 6 months at Brighton.

And, I dare say that Brighton were in much better shape when De Zerbi got them than Southampton were in when Adkins got sacked.

That's a good answer to be fair but Poch did have 18 months at Southampton. De Zerbi has 6 months at Brighton.

And, I dare say that Brighton were in much better shape when De Zerbi got them than Southampton were in when Adkins got sacked.

Yeah but he's also done well at other clubs.

I'll bow to your greater knowledge. But Marseille in particular were getting to CL finals and Monaco were paying good money for big players. PSG though were obviously only a new club then.

English clubs were still banned/just returning to Europe and the top German teams then were as much Stuttgart and Bremen etc, as Munich. It was a long way behind Italy, but was much more comparable to the best of the rest I think.

At the same time, the gaps between the leagues were much closer back then. Sure, Serie A was ahead of the rest but, as you say, there was a lot of 'rest'. That's what allowed Crvena Zvezda to win the Champions' Cup in 91. Either because I was younger or because there was less football on television, I felt like all these leagues were much more enjoyable than they are now. Each league had its own characteristics and going from the mandatory sweeper system of the Bundesliga to the careful build-up of Soviet teams or the flashy individual talents in France or the direct football that was still the standard in England was quite fun, when I remember it.

Differences are more subtle now or maybe I'm just growing old and cynical.

On the flip side, corruption was running rampant in continental European football in the late 80s/early 90s. So much so that Marseille's owner, after seeing his team go out in controversial circumstances in the semi-final of the European Cup against Benfica, said on TV: 'Now, I know how it works...' Three years later, Marseille won the Champions League. Four years later, they were relegated because of a match-fixing scandal...

Yeah but he's also done well at other clubs.

upload_2023-3-22_16-36-50.png
Still question marks for me. Sassuolo and Shakhtar seem to be his biggest successes and they were the two jobs pre-Brighton to be fair. But the level of expectation at Sassuolo is nothing compared to here and Shakhtar have always been a strong side in Ukraine. Plus, for reasons outside of his control, he wasn't there for very long.

Looking at that, this fella doesn't really have a record of being somewhere for very long much like a certain combustible Italian.

At the same time, the gaps between the leagues were much closer back then. Sure, Serie A was ahead of the rest but, as you say, there was a lot of 'rest'. That's what allowed Crvena Zvezda to win the Champions' Cup in 91. Either because I was younger or because there was less football on television, I felt like all these leagues were much more enjoyable than they are now. Each league had its own characteristics and going from the mandatory sweeper system of the Bundesliga to the careful build-up of Soviet teams or the flashy individual talents in France or the direct football that was still the standard in England was quite fun, when I remember it.

Differences are more subtle now or maybe I'm just growing old and cynical.

On the flip side, corruption was running rampant in continental European football in the late 80s/early 90s. So much so that Marseille's owner, after seeing his team go out in controversial circumstances in the semi-final of the European Cup against Benfica, said on TV: 'Now, I know how it works...' Three years later, Marseille won the Champions League. Four years later, they were relegated because of a match-fixing scandal...

Doping helped too.

Actual performance enhancing drug abuse.

He plays brick football, Chelsea fans hated it. i just can't deal with another one of their rejects playing brick boring football - got too much going on in life these days to waste my time on a football team that's a chore to watch

Really? All the Chelsea fans I know wish he was still there!! His win-ratio is really impressive at Dortmund, PSG & Chelsea, he has prem experience, a proven winner.

Really? All the Chelsea fans I know wish he was still there!! His win-ratio is really impressive at Dortmund, PSG & Chelsea, he has prem experience, a proven winner.

Heard that somewhere before!
I’m not as against Tuchel as some. Ironically I think a lot of the negative feelings about him stem from the post-match incident between him and Conte a few months ago. Maybe we wouldn’t be as eager to take Conte’s side now!
Dunno though, he feels like another that wouldn’t last long.

Dunno about proven winner, take away his PSG gimmies and he has a German cup and the CL with Chelsea - not exactly Mourinho or Ancelloti

And yeah Chelsea fans on a mixed board i frequent couldn't stand him or his football.

Sassuolo have been the great success story of European football over the last few years. Came from lower league to be top 10 in Serie A, without spending money. Brought through lots of exciting young players into the national team too.

Dunno about proven winner, take away his PSG gimmies and he has a German cup and the CL with Chelsea - not exactly Mourinho or Ancelloti

And yeah Chelsea fans on a mixed board i frequent couldn't stand him or his football.

Think he's won 7+ trophies in last 8 years, it's a pretty good return for me.

View attachment 15313
Still question marks for me. Sassuolo and Shakhtar seem to be his biggest successes and they were the two jobs pre-Brighton to be fair. But the level of expectation at Sassuolo is nothing compared to here and Shakhtar have always been a strong side in Ukraine. Plus, for reasons outside of his control, he wasn't there for very long.

Looking at that, this fella doesn't really have a record of being somewhere for very long much like a certain combustible Italian.

For me he fits the profile of manager we should go for. He plays attacking football and is (or appears to be) on the upward curve. Still only 43 he’s already pretty experienced.

Sassuolo have been the great success story of European football over the last few years. Came from lower league to be top 10 in Serie A, without spending money. Brought through lots of exciting young players into the national team too.

I get that but he didn't get them to Serie A, he took over when they were already established there and while he did well, it was a couple of 8th placed finishes and that was seen as massive success.

It's a much different level of expectation and pressure here. I'm not saying the guy isn't a good coach and isn't talented but I'm not convinced he's the right one for us yet. There's nothing on his CV to suggest he can deliver for us.

Think he's won 7+ trophies in last 8 years, it's a pretty good return for me.

6 of those were at PSG over 2.5 seasons, it means nothing in relation to what he can bring to a club like ours. By way of comparison Poch won 3 trophies in 1.5 seasons there - if he's a proven winner then everyone is resting that statement off of a solitary German cup with Dortmund in 3 years (poor return at Germanys 2nd club?) and (an admittedly more impressive) CL while at Chelsea - but as we saw with Di Matteo they're a strange club.

If people like/rate Tuchel that's a perfectly fine opinion to have and i think he's a good coach myself but the proven winner line that I see trotted out doesn't stand up to scrutiny and regardless, as we have seen over the last few appointments proven winners don't really seem to offer us much

Last edited:
I get that but he didn't get them to Serie A, he took over when they were already established there and while he did well, it was a couple of 8th placed finishes and that was seen as massive success.

It's a much different level of expectation and pressure here. I'm not saying the guy isn't a good coach and isn't talented but I'm not convinced he's the right one for us yet. There's nothing on his CV to suggest he can deliver for us.
I think he's comparable to Poch at Soton or Potter at Brighton perhaps. Someone who took an already very well run smaller club to (and beyond) their pinnacle

I think he's comparable to Poch at Soton or Potter at Brighton perhaps. Someone who took an already very well run smaller club to (and beyond) their pinnacle

He hasn’t really yet though. Maybe he will with Brighton but 6 months isn’t enough time to judge. With Sassuolo, he got two 8th placed finishes. They finished 6th, and in the European spots, a couple of years before he arrived.

Back