• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New New Manager Poll (The Lets Get It Right This Time Edition)

Who Do You Want Then?

• Poch

Votes: 58 43.3%
  • Gallardo

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • De Zerbi

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Enrique

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Carrick

• Kompany

• Other

Votes: 23 17.2%
  • Tuchel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nagelsmann

Votes: 24 17.9%
  • Slot

Votes: 17 12.7%

• Total voters
I get that but he didn't get them to Serie A, he took over when they were already established there and while he did well, it was a couple of 8th placed finishes and that was seen as massive success.

It's a much different level of expectation and pressure here. I'm not saying the guy isn't a good coach and isn't talented but I'm not convinced he's the right one for us yet. There's nothing on his CV to suggest he can deliver for us.

Tbh i'm sick of cv's. Redknapp, jol and poch didn't have amazing cv's. They had personality and knew how to set out a team that was entertaining and better than the sum of it's parts.

What does it mean?

It means what both Burkinshaw (in his own way) and Pochettino achieved.
Pulling the club together
Doing things with a sense of style, flair and excitement.
Not dying of boredom, etc.
Not allowing business achievements to overpower on-field achievements.
About having at least one creative midfielder at the football club
But again, most of all, about style. Doing things with style and class.
Not losing your brick uncontrollably.
Not doing all you can to avoid taking any responsibility
Not deciding that with 10 games to go you're done and throwing an entire fudging club under the bus...

I admit this could do with a synopsis, but you get the idea!:D

If we only have 30 million we need to raise money. One of our CM core has to be sold/swapped for a Maddison figure. I love PEH but right now, he is the player who can get you the most money in a sale. We still need a CB (two hopefully but one would work).
It seems as though we absolutely have to put side 60million. We could absolutely (with the right appt) do very well with just those additions (keep Lloris for one more year short term if possible otherwise more money needed)...I think Poch would do very with those parameters and a fully fit squad.

This is not an easy situation is it...do I get a merit badge for figuring that out?!!!!!:p

If we only have 30 million we need to raise money. One of our CM core has to be sold/swapped for a Maddison figure. I love PEH but right now, he is the player who can get you the most money in a sale. We still need a CB (two hopefully but one would work).
It seems as though we absolutely have to put side 60million. We could absolutely (with the right appt) do very well with just those additions (keep Lloris for one more year short term if possible otherwise more money needed)...I think Poch would do very with those parameters and a fully fit squad.

This is not an easy situation is it...do I get a merit badge for figuring that out?!!!!!:p

If we only have £30m then something is seriously wrong at the club and people need to be held accountable.

fwiw I can’t imagine that is all we have to spend this summer.

He's the one of our 5 CMs i would sacrifice if we decide to lose one for balance

I dont think its going to be an issue though - we've got about 10 to sell to bring 3-4 in, so may even be able to complete the squad with zero net spend (esp if Ndicka is one of our big incomings)

It means what both Burkinshaw (in his own way) and Pochettino achieved.
Pulling the club together
Doing things with a sense of style, flair and excitement.
Not dying of boredom, etc.
Not allowing business achievements to overpower on-field achievements.
About having at least one creative midfielder at the football club
But again, most of all, about style. Doing things with style and class.
Not losing your brick uncontrollably.
Not doing all you can to avoid taking any responsibility
Not deciding that with 10 games to go you're done and throwing an entire fudging club under the bus...

I admit this could do with a synopsis, but you get the idea!:D
Gallardo it is, then. :)

He will definitely pull the club together and give it identity. He will get the team to play better than the sum of its parts. He will adapt his system, from game to game if necessary, to get the most out of the players he has available and the opponent he is facing. No rigidity with him. He is also outstanding in cup competitions. I couldn't care less about the domestic cups, but for those who are clamoring for one Gallardo is a manager that can deliver that fairly quickly. His tactics may not be the most pleasing at times, but he is a master at preparing his team for big games. And he has shown he can be at a club for a long time.

The downside: he hasn't managed in Europe (but he has played in Europe, if that counts for anything). Well, other than 4 months at Catania, neither had Simeone and he didn't turn out too shabby.

He's the one of our 5 CMs i would sacrifice if we decide to lose one for balance

I dont think its going to be an issue though - we've got about 10 to sell to bring 3-4 in, so may even be able to complete the squad with zero net spend (esp if Ndicka is one of our big incomings)

Selling players we don’t want is extremely difficult as recent years have shown.

The Frankfurt manager sounds pretty good from what I've read but don't know much about him, looks like he plays good attacking football.

2001: Hoddle
2012: AVB
2019: Mourinho
2021: Conte
2023 (March): Tuchel
2023 (December): Potter

nah, AVB, Jose, Conte, the next in sequence in Ancelotti

and you can add Poch between the Portuguese

Carlo would complete the set, the best 5 managers in football since Sir Alex retired

The Frankfurt manager sounds pretty good from what I've read but don't know much about him, looks like he plays good attacking football.

Think he only joined them part way through the current season - don't know what his record is previously

If we only have £30m then something is seriously wrong at the club and people need to be held accountable.

fwiw I can’t imagine that is all we have to spend this summer.

We wont have only that .. ffs, ever since the new stadium has opened, especially post Covid, we have had more money to spend ..

To which someone will jump in -> but what about that Poch window .. see comment above

6 of those were at PSG over 2.5 seasons, it means nothing in relation to what he can bring to a club like ours. By way of comparison Poch won 3 trophies in 1.5 seasons there - if he's a proven winner then everyone is resting that statement off of a solitary German cup with Dortmund in 3 years (poor return at Germanys 2nd club?) and (an admittedly more impressive) CL while at Chelsea - but as we saw with Di Matteo they're a strange club.

If people like/rate Tuchel that's a perfectly fine opinion to have and i think he's a good coach myself but the proven winner line that I see trotted out doesn't stand up to scrutiny and regardless, as we have seen over the last few appointments proven winners don't really seem to offer us much

I think your last sentence nails it on the head. It could be argued that your opinion on his Dortmund stint is a bit harsh though because they're a weird club that goes through cycles of rising and rebuild. Add to that the fact that the Bundesliga is about as competitive as the Scottish league and he can't really be blamed for not winning much there - or wanting to leave for a bigger club, for that matter. He did well to win the Champions League with Chelsea though (and that's coming from someone who despises him) but the biggest question mark remains his attitude before his sacking. Apparently, he completely lost the plot and there were rumors of an unprofessional attitude because of his new girlfriend or whatever.

We already find it tough to keep a manager for more than one season when they act normally so I'd definitely look into that before even considering him.

Tuchel is a bad call, because of the Chelsea ties, because of the potential people management issues, because of the lack of long term stability

Hopefully we have learned from Conte, when the narrative from day 1 is "when is he going to blow up", it won't work for us, maybe for other clubs, but not for us.

Tuchel is a bad call, because of the Chelsea ties, because of the potential people management issues, because of the lack of long term stability

Hopefully we have learned from Conte, when the narrative from day 1 is "when is he going to blow up", it won't work for us, maybe for other clubs, but not for us.

Who would you go for if we cant get Poch or De Zerbi?

Tuchel could be worth a go for 18 months and if it doesn’t work the above two and other attractive options could then be available.

Back