• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Most overrated bands

[-X
He was far from it. He was good, played guitar with his teeth, but that's it. Qualified guitarists don't rate him.

LMFAO

It does make me laugh when people spout rubbish. He was one of the most influential musicians of the 20th century. Without him (and bands like The Who) there would be no hard rock or metal. Six of his guitar solos are in the Guitar World '100 Greatest of all time'. Been voted by Rolling Stone, Guitar World (and others) as the greatest electric guitarist ever.

He also developed the use of feedback, and pedals such as wah-wah and fuzz distortion.

But no....as far as you're concerned he just 'played guitar with his teeth'.

LMFAO

It does make me laugh when people spout rubbish. He was one of the most influential musicians of the 20th century. Without him (and bands like The Who) there would be no hard rock or metal. Six of his guitar solos are in the Guitar World '100 Greatest of all time'. Been voted by Rolling Stone, Guitar World (and others) as the greatest electric guitarist ever.

He also developed the use of feedback, and pedals such as wah-wah and fuzz distortion.

well yeah, but apart from that.........

Neil Young wrote a song about Jimi Hendrix, Pete Townsend, John Frusciante and countless other great guitarists have nothing but admiration for his talent. I can't comprehend how anyone can say he wasn't a great guitar player. When you listen to some of his music, I can't even think that fast let alone play the notes as fast as he did.

LMFAO

Seriously,
have you seen that list in Rolling stone?

as picked by david Fricke - a man of which was once said, "Who?"

Its practiclly full of American guitarists and actually has Clapton at 4 and Jimmy Page at 9

then to show what a load of gonad*s it is it has George Harrison at 21

Judging Hendrix at 1 in that list is no achievement, other than having him as anyones first choice.

If it was the list as voted by Clapton - then it would have some credibility.

He would start counting at number 2, as he is obviously no 1

if you don't like the best of the Doors, its going to be tough to ask someone to sit through the worst of them - particularly if you have to be whacked out of your head to get through the experience........

:D

I think the producer and artist generally do a better job of making a piece of art to be enjoyed as a start to finish form of entertainment than the suits taking a scalpel cutting out all the supposedly best bits and bobs based on what will sell the best, have never really enjoyed best ofs.

Do you think LA Woman is their worst album? I can see why someone would think that if they'd followed them throughout their career as it was definite change in direction but it's one of my favourites of theirs.

I think the producer and artist generally do a better job of making a piece of art to be enjoyed as a start to finish form of entertainment than the suits taking a scalpel cutting out all the supposedly best bits and bobs based on what will sell the best, have never really enjoyed best ofs.

Do you think LA Woman is their worst album? I can see why someone would think that if they'd followed them throughout their career as it was definite change in direction but it's one of my favourites of theirs.

Its never been a type of music that motivates me, so I have never made a big effort to get to know them better - I'm kind of in the "Best of" camp with them, and nothing by them appears on my mp3 player, yet paradoxically, Ballroom Blitz by the Sweet does (fantastic drummer in the Sweet)
So as you can see - I'm something of a lost cause...........

I always found their stuff to be too melancholy, and like the Smiths, i don't get off on that type of music - although I can handle Leonard Cohen, in the right mood (I even danced to one of his songs at my wedding - but I'm such a brick dancer no-one noticed how inappropriate it was to dance to Leonard Cohen at a wedding!) A medium dose of Nirvana before the knife drawer starts to look inviting and thats it.

My tastes are more on the uplifting, make your ears bleed R&R or CSN&Y and the Eagles for chill, and classical music for more reflective moments.

that and a bit of Madness (Night Boat) and the Sweet to bop along to whils scootering in to work

The Doors always works well in Vietnam movies though

Seriously,
have you seen that list in Rolling stone?

as picked by david Fricke - a man of which was once said, "Who?"

Its practiclly full of American guitarists and actually has Clapton at 4 and Jimmy Page at 9

then to show what a load of gonad*s it is it has George Harrison at 21

Judging Hendrix at 1 in that list is no achievement, other than having him as anyones first choice.

If it was the list as voted by Clapton - then it would have some credibility.

He would start counting at number 2, as he is obviously no 1

That wasn't my point though Mick. I was simply putting a point across that Jimi Hendrix wasn't just a 'good guitarist who played with his teeth, and isn't rated by other guitarists' as stated by that previous poster.

The whole 'greatest guitarist ever' thing is far too subjective. What is it based on? Technique? Innovation? Speed? Diversity?

On a personal level, I'd have Hendrix above Clapton (who I love and have seen live many times). I'd also put Jeff Beck above 'Old Slowhand' as well. But it's all about personal taste :)

That wasn't my point though Mick. I was simply putting a point across that Jimi Hendrix wasn't just a 'good guitarist who played with his teeth, and isn't rated by other guitarists' as stated by that previous poster.

The whole 'greatest guitarist ever' thing is far too subjective. What is it based on? Technique? Innovation? Speed? Diversity?

On a personal level, I'd have Hendrix above Clapton (who I love and have seen live many times). I'd also put Jeff Beck above 'Old Slowhand' as well. But it's all about personal taste :)

if it was snakes and ladders
Beck would be back at the bottom for doing Hi Ho Silver Lining

Clapton gets to no1 because he has written and performed better stuff than Hendrix (IMV) and he was tough enough to live through his drug fuelled excesses and hendrix didn't, and therefore he doesn't have as profound a selection out there to be judged (well) on.

Nah, sorry, Claptons guitar work is too pure, too diverse and just too good, Hendrix could never make a guitar sing like that.

Jimmy Page, mark Knopfler, Andy Summers, Gilmour all do more for me than Hendrix has ever done

I'd also put BBKing above Hendrix, because if I had a choice of who I would listen to, and had tickets for both - I'd go see BB King

but you're right to decry the other frivolous post about Hendrix - I didn't mean to slag your opinion, I just felt the the Rolling Stones list was flawed on so many levels...............

but if you put 10 people in a room you'd get 20 different opinions

Great discussion point though.

You can't judge a band like The Doors through some bricky best of compilation! Get yourself high and listen to the album LA Woman then come back and give your earnt opinion.

Wierd this, as I was thinking about how the guitarist of the Doors is vastly under-rated, some of his playing is so fudging tasteful in their stuff, doesn't have to play loud to be heard, but some of that could be attributed to Bruce Botnick's late work with the band where Robbie Krieger really shined through.
I'm gonna look like a bit of a plonker, but the album was actually the debut album 'The Doors'! Whoops! Perhaps I should give 'L.A. Woman' a listen - but I still haven't listened to 'Pet Sounds' yet so that's the the backburner haha.

now I'm not one to stick up for gutterboy normally, but................... he is #1

How could anyone top his stuff?
How did I knew you were gonna comment, Mick? He's a lot like afan though - so ridiculous that you want him to be banned, yet also makes you laugh which just how ludicrous he can be. Sometimes when you're having a bad day, you have to sit back with a glass of rum and coke and think 'at least I'm not GB.' :D

With regards to Beck, Page and Clapton - have always meant to have a listen to some of The Yardbird's stuff but have never got round to it. Can someone recommend me a couple of albums to listen to?

Its never been a type of music that motivates me, so I have never made a big effort to get to know them better - I'm kind of in the "Best of" camp with them, and nothing by them appears on my mp3 player, yet paradoxically, Ballroom Blitz by the Sweet does (fantastic drummer in the Sweet)
So as you can see - I'm something of a lost cause...........

I always found their stuff to be too melancholy, and like the Smiths, i don't get off on that type of music - although I can handle Leonard Cohen, in the right mood (I even danced to one of his songs at my wedding - but I'm such a brick dancer no-one noticed how inappropriate it was to dance to Leonard Cohen at a wedding!) A medium dose of Nirvana before the knife drawer starts to look inviting and thats it.

My tastes are more on the uplifting, make your ears bleed R&R or CSN&Y and the Eagles for chill, and classical music for more reflective moments.

that and a bit of Madness (Night Boat) and the Sweet to bop along to whils scootering in to work

The Doors always works well in Vietnam movies though

Fair enough mate, the doors do work especially well in Vietnam films....

Out of interest, Which Leonard Cohen song was it?

I'm gonna look like a bit of a plonker, but the album was actually the debut album 'The Doors'! Whoops! Perhaps I should give 'L.A. Woman' a listen - but I still haven't listened to 'Pet Sounds' yet so that's the the backburner haha.

Ahh I see, I think you'd like L.A Woman if you're in a things with a bit of blues, it's an album where their musicianship really shines through wheras in my opinion some of their earlier stuff has Jim Morrison as the centre of attention.

Weirdly I've only recently digested Pet Sounds, I'm sure there's a few massive albums like that I haven't heard yet but just haven't got round to yet. It's rather good you know. Can anyone recommend me which Smiths album to attempt first? Always hear people talking about them but have never got round to it. There'll be a sarcastic gif/smiley to anyone who links me to "The best of The Smiths" :ssg:

I've missed out one very important band from this list............. The Stone Roses.

i half agree with that, but i think the influence they had has to come in to play

i would put Gun n Roses in the same bracket - some good music over a couple of albums and huge influence but can can they really justify their reputation from such a small output?

you could argue that the Beatles are not as good as the above bands as they had some "average" moments - but they produced a hell of a lot more music?

Back