• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Most overrated bands

i half agree with that, but i think the influence they had has to come in to play

i would put Gun n Roses in the same bracket - some good music over a couple of albums and huge influence but can can they really justify their reputation from such a small output?

you could argue that the Beatles are not as good as the above bands as they had some "average" moments - but they produced a hell of a lot more music?
Most of The Beatles' stature within music is how they completely took over the entertainment industry, surely? As a bad they were very simple, some others during the same era were more edgy or aggressive but they captured an audience like no other. My parents listened to The Rolling Stones a lot more and preferred them, but will be the first to say that The Beatles changed music forever.

Most of The Beatles' stature within music is how they completely took over the entertainment industry, surely? As a bad they were very simple, some others during the same era were more edgy or aggressive but they captured an audience like no other. My parents listened to The Rolling Stones a lot more and preferred them, but will be the first to say that The Beatles changed music forever.

yeah i would go along with that, thats what i was trying to hit on with influence and how it relates to reputation (ie GnR and Stone Roses)

i half agree with that, but i think the influence they had has to come in to play

i would put Gun n Roses in the same bracket - some good music over a couple of albums and huge influence but can can they really justify their reputation from such a small output?

you could argue that the Beatles are not as good as the above bands as they had some "average" moments - but they produced a hell of a lot more music?

I know they influenced bands like Oasis, I just don't get what the fuss is about. They only made two albums. The first time I heard Ian Brown sing live, I genuinely thought it was a joke! His voice is terrible!

Fair enough mate, the doors do work especially well in Vietnam films....

Out of interest, Which Leonard Cohen song was it?

Dance me to the end of love, which was a name that Jack Vettriano chose for a painting of his that my wife likes

it seemed a good enough connection

Ahh I see, I think you'd like L.A Woman if you're in a things with a bit of blues, it's an album where their musicianship really shines through wheras in my opinion some of their earlier stuff has Jim Morrison as the centre of attention.

Weirdly I've only recently digested Pet Sounds, I'm sure there's a few massive albums like that I haven't heard yet but just haven't got round to yet. It's rather good you know. Can anyone recommend me which Smiths album to attempt first? Always hear people talking about them but have never got round to it. There'll be a sarcastic gif/smiley to anyone who links me to "The best of The Smiths" :ssg:

go to isohunt.com and download the lot

yeah i would go along with that, thats what i was trying to hit on with influence and how it relates to reputation (ie GnR and Stone Roses)

Guns N' Roses were the last great rock n' roll band. In fact, they were probably the last great band period. Their lyrics left a lot to be desired but they were simply fantastic musicians and their four albums (I don't count their 5th one of covers, or that last shower of brick that isn't really GNR) were superb.

Guns N' Roses were the last great rock n' roll band. In fact, they were probably the last great band period. Their lyrics left a lot to be desired but they were simply fantastic musicians and their four albums (I don't count their 5th one of covers, or that last shower of brick that isn't really GNR) were superb.

Agree. I love Appetite For Destruction, not so keen on Lies, but Use You Illusion 1 and 2 are both good albums. Wish I could have seen them live in their prime. Damn Axl Rose for ruining the band.

Agree. I love Appetite For Destruction, not so keen on Lies, but Use You Illusion 1 and 2 are both good albums. Wish I could have seen them live in their prime. Damn Axl Rose for ruining the band.

Must be the best entertainment in the world, seeing a band you love do their stuff live

genesis in their heyday were awsome live, and Clapton was astonishing.

football excluded

I just saw System of a Down live. They played a 'greatest hits' set. I saw Rage Against the Machine a few years ago, they did the same thing.

I love these reforming bands. They tour and have no new music to plug, so it's all the classics. Pearl Jam concerts are good too. I went to 2 on consecutive nights, basically got 2 different setlists with 2 or 3 song overlaps and that's about it.

The world's missing great rock acts.

I just saw System of a Down live. They played a 'greatest hits' set. I saw Rage Against the Machine a few years ago, they did the same thing.

I love these reforming bands. They tour and have no new music to plug, so it's all the classics. Pearl Jam concerts are good too. I went to 2 on consecutive nights, basically got 2 different setlists with 2 or 3 song overlaps and that's about it.

The world's missing great rock acts.

I have to disagree with you on that one, there are plenty of great rock acts out there, but just because they aren't played on MTV or whatever radio you're listening to doesn't mean they don't exist. Try to do some research, think outside the box, be open to new things and not the stuff that everybody else is trying to make you listen to. A band that plays for 50 people in a garage somewhere in Bradford or Trondheim can easily be way better and more entertaining than a band filling a stadium of 20.000 people. Also the entrance fee would probably be alot cheaper.

[-X
He was far from it. He was good, played guitar with his teeth, but that's it. Qualified guitarists don't rate him.

It's not simply about the text-book technicality, it's how he took the instrument and used it to become something else, how he spoke through it, how he made it speak for him...his interpretation of the Star Spangled Banner @ Woodstock is a work of art mate...

For the past 20 years, Metallica. Before the Black album they were amazing, but since that they have been dreadful and constantly touted as 'the best metal band ever'. When infact they're the most 'popular' metal band ever.

Dreadful? Really? Explain.

dread?Àful/ˈdredfəl/

Adjective:

1.Causing or involving great suffering, fear, or unhappiness; extremely bad or serious: "there's been a dreadful accident".
2.Extremely disagreeable: "the weather was dreadful".

'In my opinion'. :)

You simply cannot compare:

- Kill 'Em All
- Ride the Lightning
- Master of Puppets
- And Justice for All
- Metallica (weakest of the above)

to the albums after:

- Load
- Reload
- St.Anger
- Death Magnetic

The albums from when Bob Rock took over production have by and large sucked.

The sound changed in a huge way. From twisting time signature and crazy-fast riffs to a mindnumbingly polished and straightforward sound. I love the old fast and brutal Metallica far more than the over produced primadonnas they've become.

I have to disagree with you on that one, there are plenty of great rock acts out there, but just because they aren't played on MTV or whatever radio you're listening to doesn't mean they don't exist. Try to do some research, think outside the box, be open to new things and not the stuff that everybody else is trying to make you listen to. A band that plays for 50 people in a garage somewhere in Bradford or Trondheim can easily be way better and more entertaining than a band filling a stadium of 20.000 people. Also the entrance fee would probably be alot cheaper.

Great as in big, can fill a stadium, but thanks for the lecture.

Great as in big, can fill a stadium, but thanks for the lecture.

It wasn't a lecture, just saying it as it is. Alot of people just accept what's in front of them without trying to peek towards or beyond the horizon. If I offended you I'm sorry.
I think a lot of bands could fill stadiums if they were picked up by major labels, but that (fortunately in my view) doesn't seem to happen. I'd go to see some band blow my mind and eardrums on a small venue over seeing great (as in big, filling stadiums) bands on big stages anytime.
I have to say though, seeing Rush at Oslo Spektrum in 2007 was probably one of my favourite concerts ever, Roger Waters last year was also really really good.

I think this thread strayed way off topic for a while...I love these types of discussions because I recognise most of the bands being discussed...

I agree with coldplay and u2 being overrated...

But then someone mentioned pink Floyd, and the doors and hendrix...deary me

A lot of this has to be how old you were when you were first exposed to this stuff and the atmosphere etc.

If you listen to the doors for the first time in 2012 as an adult it will sound old and slow compared to the slick production values of today...but rewind to when this music was made and you had people like Jim Morrison, and jimi hendrix, and gilmour/waters, and lennon/mccartney who actually changed music. They didn't just write a couple of bland songs that a million people viewed on YouTube. They created masterpieces that are being discussed 40-50 years after they were written. It may not be to your taste, but do you really think your grandkids will give a flying fudge about kol or coldplay etc?

If you want to appreciate what is great about these so-called overrated bands, you have to realise that these sounds didn't exist before they dreamt them up...now they are being sampled in hip-hop and dance records and are influencing musicians whose parents weren't born when they were playing guitars with their teeth : )

dread?Àful/ˈdredfəl/

Adjective:

1.Causing or involving great suffering, fear, or unhappiness; extremely bad or serious: "there's been a dreadful accident".
2.Extremely disagreeable: "the weather was dreadful".

'In my opinion'. :)

You simply cannot compare:

- Kill 'Em All
- Ride the Lightning
- Master of Puppets
- And Justice for All
- Metallica (weakest of the above)

to the albums after:

- Load
- Reload
- St.Anger
- Death Magnetic

The albums from when Bob Rock took over production have by and large sucked.

The sound changed in a huge way. From twisting time signature and crazy-fast riffs to a mindnumbingly polished and straightforward sound. I love the old fast and brutal Metallica far more than the over produced primadonnas they've become.

Good Lord, if you can honestly say that either "...Anger" or "Death Magnetic" are 'mind numbingly polished and straightforward' in sound, or that either lacks 'twisting time signatures' or 'crazy fast riffs' then you, Sir, are IMO, as deaf as a post!!!! I won't get into arguing on the opinion side of it, no point, but I will based on the comments you made mate! ;-)

I think this thread strayed way off topic for a while...I love these types of discussions because I recognise most of the bands being discussed...

I agree with coldplay and u2 being overrated...

But then someone mentioned pink Floyd, and the doors and hendrix...deary me

A lot of this has to be how old you were when you were first exposed to this stuff and the atmosphere etc.

If you listen to the doors for the first time in 2012 as an adult it will sound old and slow compared to the slick production values of today...but rewind to when this music was made and you had people like Jim Morrison, and jimi hendrix, and gilmour/waters, and lennon/mccartney who actually changed music. They didn't just write a couple of bland songs that a million people viewed on YouTube. They created masterpieces that are being discussed 40-50 years after they were written. It may not be to your taste, but do you really think your grandkids will give a flying fudge about kol or coldplay etc?

If you want to appreciate what is great about these so-called overrated bands, you have to realise that these sounds didn't exist before they dreamt them up...now they are being sampled in hip-hop and dance records and are influencing musicians whose parents weren't born when they were playing guitars with their teeth : )

I think it spoils it a bit if the people in the old days sung songs that meant something, and you could understand the words being sung, to top it all they could play real instruments. I mean, whats all that about?

Good points, well made.

apart from the coldplay comment which was a bit harsh, they have made some really good songs, that I think will last (clocks, politik, the Scientist) but admittedly they are now making stuff that is so bland even radio 2 wont play it

Back