• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Most overrated bands

I forgot to add Abba to the list. I fudging hate them. Waterloo is a decent, catchy song but everything else they ever did was brick, yet they are one of the highest selling acts of all time. It really depresses me.

I forgot to add Abba to the list. I fudging hate them. Waterloo is a decent, catchy song but everything else they ever did was brick, yet they are one of the highest selling acts of all time. It really depresses me.

because in their day, they made music that people wanted to listen to

funny that you would quote possibly the most annoying song they ever did as being the best.

some of their stuff was quite introspective and interesting, particularly the stuff that was written as their marriages were falling apart.

The day before you came is a great song

I think Snow Patrol probably top the list for me. Dire, dreary songs which all sound the same. I don't like Coldplay but do accept they have done a few good songs, same for Radiohead, but the esteem they are both held in is ridiculous.

I think the Doors were crap as well, boring music, and I don't like Jim Morrison's voice. I think the Smiths are vastly over rated too. Come to think of it, there are not many bands that really live up to the hype that surrounds them.

Coldplay and Snow patrol seem to write either really good songs, or totally forgettable stuff.

in the balance of 10-20% good, the rest ........meh

I think the Doors were crap as well, boring music, and I don't like Jim Morrison's voice. I think the Smiths are vastly over rated too. Come to think of it, there are not many bands that really live up to the hype that surrounds them.
I downloaded The Doors greatest Hits to see what all the fuss was about and was quite surprised at how average they were - the studio music is nothing to compare to Jim Morrison's antics off the stage! Cobtrast this to The Kinks (although I have listened to some of their stuff before) who lived up the hype easily.

The Smiths are bloody brilliant though!

I know what you mean. But I personally have no doubt that the music from my parents era (the 60s) is a 1000 times better than the music of my youth and adult years so far (late 80s-now). The Beatles, The Who, Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, The Kinks, Jimi Hendrix and too many others to name sounds a lot better than Coldplay, U2, Radiohead etc.

My eldest daughter was born in 84 and she and her mates used to have Dad music nights. Little cow stole so many of my CDs

My parents listened to opera and jazz - I have none of their musical tastes

Hendrix was way overrated IMO. Great musician, but his music sucked by and large. I think you had to be doing a lot of acid to get it, or not notice it was awful.

???

seriously
based on what?

ie musicianship, lyrically or musically?

there's a pretty big and loyal fanbase who would disagree with you - I suspect.

Musically i find a lot of their stuff sounds like elevator music or "muzak". I bought Dark Side Of The Moon and was very disappointed based on how many millions of copies its sold and the fact that its held in such high regard in the music industry.

My eldest daughter was born in 84 and she and her mates used to have Dad music nights. Little cow stole so many of my CDs

My parents listened to opera and jazz - I have none of their musical tastes

Hendrix was way overrated IMO. Great musician, but his music sucked by and large. I think you had to be doing a lot of acid to get it, or not notice it was awful.

Hendrix was one of the greatest guitarists that ever lived. Maybe that's why people are careful to criticise his music. I think he was great personally. Voodoo Child has some phenomal guitar playing!

Hendrix was one of the greatest guitarists that ever lived. Maybe that's why people are careful to criticise his music. I think he was great personally. Voodoo Child has some phenomal guitar playing!

hendrix could play a guitar alright, just wasn't overly impressed with his music, or his singing.

I'm not a big fan of Dark Side of the moon, 'Wish you were here' is so much better

Musically i find a lot of their stuff sounds like elevator music or "muzak". I bought Dark Side Of The Moon and was very disappointed based on how many millions of copies its sold and the fact that its held in such high regard in the music industry.

I know what you mean. I wouldn't say I was a huge fan of Pink Floyd in general, but I am a huge fan of some of their songs. Shine on you crazy diamond is an incredible piece of music, and I love Comfortably Numb, Breathe, Time and Wish you were here. Most of the rest though is too experimental/psychadelic for my tastes. I agree with Mick, Wish you were here is a much better album than Dark side of the moon, which has too many dud tracks to make it a genuine classic in my view.

agree on pink floyd, i love the gilmour stuff, some of it was absolutely wonderful, wish you were here in particular, but they also did a lot of crap

[-X
He was far from it. He was good, played guitar with his teeth, but that's it. Qualified guitarists don't rate him.

Qualified guitarists?

It's fine if you don't rate him, that's your right but don't try to back up your opinion with flimflam like "qualified guitarists don't rate him", that really is a rather meaningless thing to say.

I downloaded The Doors greatest Hits to see what all the fuss was about and was quite surprised at how average they were - the studio music is nothing to compare to Jim Morrison's antics off the stage! Cobtrast this to The Kinks (although I have listened to some of their stuff before) who lived up the hype easily.

The Smiths are bloody brilliant though!

You can't judge a band like The Doors through some bricky best of compilation! Get yourself high and listen to the album LA Woman then come back and give your earnt opinion.

Wierd this, as I was thinking about how the guitarist of the Doors is vastly under-rated, some of his playing is so fudging tasteful in their stuff, doesn't have to play loud to be heard, but some of that could be attributed to Bruce Botnick's late work with the band where Robbie Krieger really shined through.

You can't judge a band like The Doors through some bricky best of compilation! Get yourself high and listen to the album LA Woman then come back and give your earnt opinion.

Wierd this, as I was thinking about how the guitarist of the Doors is vastly under-rated, some of his playing is so fudging tasteful in their stuff, doesn't have to play loud to be heard, but some of that could be attributed to Bruce Botnick's late work with the band where Robbie Krieger really shined through.

if you don't like the best of the Doors, its going to be tough to ask someone to sit through the worst of them - particularly if you have to be whacked out of your head to get through the experience........

:D

Back