• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Most overrated bands

I've not been taken with anything new for a long time, I mostly listen to foo fighters/high flying birds/the wildhearts, same as I was 15 years ago

High Flying Birda - they should be on the list. Really just dont get it. If Noel wasnt in the band i dont think anyone would give a damn

Wildhearts however, very underrated band.

U2 from Joshua Tree back are worthy of their status. They've had some good moments since then, Achtung Baby is great and they've put out some decent radio-friendly rock songs. It's easy to say they're over-rated seeing as they're the biggest band in the world, but I think they've earnt that honour. Yes, Bono may be a bit of a nob, but musically they have runs on the board.

Over-rated, I agree with Nirvana and unfortunately, Foo Fighters. The Colour & the Shape was one of my favourite albums growing up, but everything since then has gotten worse and worse, yet they've only gotten more and more popular.

And I'm sorry to say, a lot of your UK bands I just don't get. Kasabian? Boring. Arctic Monkeys? Sorry, I don't see what the fuss is about and don't think they sound new and fresh at all.

I disagree - I saw them at Glastonbury last year and I thought Coldplay were much better. They're just a bunch of **** munchers - the whole 'I want to save the world' gonad*s by Bono is a load of rubbish, especially when I have first hand information proving otherwise.

it pretty immature to say that a band with musicians as talented as the Edge, Clayton and Mullen are **** munchers. Its also grossly inaccurate to suggest that they do not indulge in activities of a philanthropic nature.
If you don't like their music, then fair enough, but those kind of petty insults are just rubbish, IMO.

My top 3 at the moment would have to be...

Coldplay - the most boring band ever, listening to Chris Martin speak makes me fall asleep and their songs aren't much better. So dull it hurts.
High Flying Birds - theyre just a brick Oasis, it's like they took all the oasis songs that didn't make it to be B-sides and put an album out. Plus Noel has such a whiny voice, it's awful.
Killers - First album was ok, the next one was poor and the latest one is brick. Just don't get what all the fuss is about.

Coldplay - cringeworthy

Same reefs for 10 years now - do something new!

Honourable mention - Green Day

Last edited:
Can't believe some people are saying Foo Fighters. I know they are very popular but I don't think anyone claims they are one of the greatest bands ever. They make solid albums, rarely make a poor album. You could argue that they haven't made any classic albums, but they are also very good live.

it pretty immature to say that a band with musicians as talented as the Edge, Clayton and Mullen are **** munchers. Its also grossly inaccurate to suggest that they do not indulge in activities of a philanthropic nature.
If you don't like their music, then fair enough, but those kind of petty insults are just rubbish, IMO.
In hindsight my comments were a little harsh, was not in the best of moods at all yesterday after the game. I just find Bono an unbearable, arrogant human being. Some of the stuff that was coming out of his mouth at Glastonbury was ridiculous, it was as if he was bigging himself up as some kind of demi-GHod.

Mumford and Sons - A couple of good songs (Little Lion Man + The Cave) gave them their reputation, but their catalogue is seriously limited and sounds very much the same.

For the past 20 years, Metallica. Before the Black album they were amazing, but since that they have been dreadful and constantly touted as 'the best metal band ever'. When infact they're the most 'popular' metal band ever.

Mumford and Sons - A couple of good songs (Little Lion Man + The Cave) gave them their reputation, but their catalogue is seriously limited and sounds very much the same.

When it takes this long for a band to come out with their follow up album it normally spells trouble too.

Kings of Leon are just...meh. Nickelback would top the list, but I'm not sure they're overrated, just not rated at all. I fail to understand how playing one tune over and over again with slightly different bass and calling them different songs can garner so many fans, though.

Oh, and almost every modern pop star.

But yes, I agree with uksb up there; there's no point debating which bands are good and which aren't, there's too much variance in personal choices. For example, there's nothing I enjoy more than listening to Sinatra on the balcony, but I'm sure most kids these days would hate him. Saddens me, but then, who are we to judge their preferences, etc, etc.

Coldplay - Yawn
U2 - Why cant they get decent production on an album!!??
Chili peppers - anything post blood sugar
Blur - The performance on the brits this year summed up what I think of them really.

As has been said it is down to taste, so is all completely subjective

In hindsight my comments were a little harsh, was not in the best of moods at all yesterday after the game. I just find Bono an unbearable, arrogant human being. Some of the stuff that was coming out of his mouth at Glastonbury was ridiculous, it was as if he was bigging himself up as some kind of demi-GHod.

now that - I have no problem with. He does come acros as a sanctimonious prick. The other band members seem a little more grounded.

Kings of Leon are just...meh. Nickelback would top the list, but I'm not sure they're overrated, just not rated at all. I fail to understand how playing one tune over and over again with slightly different bass and calling them different songs can garner so many fans, though.

Oh, and almost every modern pop star.

But yes, I agree with uksb up there; there's no point debating which bands are good and which aren't, there's too much variance in personal choices. For example, there's nothing I enjoy more than listening to Sinatra on the balcony, but I'm sure most kids these days would hate him. Saddens me, but then, who are we to judge their preferences, etc, etc.

all kids hate the music of their elders, father etc. Its all part of the cycle of trying to find an identity and responding to peer pressure.
As everyone grows up, they start to feel guilty about listening to radio 2 and then getting secret pleasure from enjoying the Beatles, Buddy Holly or Frank Sinatra.

The you get to my age and finally admit that you were a complete prick for all those years, listening to music you now couldn't give a toss about, and enjoying the fact that you can fill your MP3 player with anything you like, and no-one will know.

All of a sudden -
Chiquitita, you and I know
How the heartaches come and they go
And the scars they're leaving
You'll be dancing once again and the pain will end
You will have no time for grieving

doesn't sound like a dagger to the heart, and you can listen to it, because it just sounds fabulous, as you imagine climbing into a bucket of KY jelly with Anna and Agneta (as they looked when they made it) and.............

ooh sorry, I seem to have wandered off message

And for some reason, ol' Blue Eyes was someone I enjoyed listening to since the age of fourteen. Peer pressure, rebellious instincts, the desire to fit in; none of them mattered when the first bars of 'Luck be a Lady' floated over the airwaves.

Perhaps that was because N'Sync were top of the charts at the time. Shudder.

That careless, tossaway line is the only thing saving you from this;

View attachment 307

it was the only way I could fit the image in

it wouldn't have sounded right If I had swapped them for Dean Martin and little Ole wine drinkin me........

ps

I love listening to the popular classical music stuff as well, some of it is astonishing when listened to properly

(Not 4 hours of it live, but the best bits - without an ice cream or jeans advert accompanying them)

all kids hate the music of their elders, father etc. Its all part of the cycle of trying to find an identity and responding to peer pressure.
As everyone grows up, they start to feel guilty about listening to radio 2 and then getting secret pleasure from enjoying the Beatles, Buddy Holly or Frank Sinatra.

The you get to my age and finally admit that you were a complete prick for all those years, listening to music you now couldn't give a toss about, and enjoying the fact that you can fill your MP3 player with anything you like, and no-one will know.

All of a sudden -
Chiquitita, you and I know
How the heartaches come and they go
And the scars they're leaving
You'll be dancing once again and the pain will end
You will have no time for grieving

doesn't sound like a dagger to the heart, and you can listen to it, because it just sounds fabulous, as you imagine climbing into a bucket of KY jelly with Anna and Agneta (as they looked when they made it) and.............

ooh sorry, I seem to have wandered off message

I know what you mean. But I personally have no doubt that the music from my parents era (the 60s) is a 1000 times better than the music of my youth and adult years so far (late 80s-now). The Beatles, The Who, Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, The Kinks, Jimi Hendrix and too many others to name sounds a lot better than Coldplay, U2, Radiohead etc.

I think Snow Patrol probably top the list for me. Dire, dreary songs which all sound the same. I don't like Coldplay but do accept they have done a few good songs, same for Radiohead, but the esteem they are both held in is ridiculous.

I think the Doors were crap as well, boring music, and I don't like Jim Morrison's voice. I think the Smiths are vastly over rated too. Come to think of it, there are not many bands that really live up to the hype that surrounds them.

Back