• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Sissoko is a destroyer, pace and strength, he’s a blunt instrument.

I’m not sure why anyone expected anything different.

He is dealing with a media more savage than anything I can remember, because that media also includes the public/socials. The Kane thing was a massive gang-up (these are young men remember) and I believe he dances a minefield these days in press conferences. I agree with you re: the window, absolutely.

If he plays Lucas he needs to allow him to do damage uptop.

The most intriguing question is how many of this current squad does he consider sub-par for a proper tilt next season?

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

We must remember the pay scale Poch is working with. Its not like he can dip into the entire player pool and pick which players he wants.

When buying the likes of Sanchez, Moura etc these are probably the best players available in our budget (PS I think both have great potential with us).

Players like Mane, Salah, Martial etc aren't an option for Poch.

I feel like I say this every window but there is such a limited amount of players available that will:

1. Improve our best 15 players
2. Want to join us (Not be swayed by a rival)
3. Are willing to fit into our pay scale

It would be interesting to see who you and others think these players are? I know our scouts should be capable of finding the odd nugget, a Payet maybe, but they are simply few and far between.

Whats hurting us is 1 or 2 of the top class players we do have wanting to leave - and Poch cant control that either.

Good common sense post @Benny_Lad

Poch is doing good job. Yes he is frustrating with some shortcomings but he probably feels the same frustrations due our current financial situation.
We are not going to do any better without a huge increase in revenue.
Pochettino also is learning on the job and needs to be given some time.

We aren’t punching well above our weight - we was a consistent top 5 club before he came along. We’d got CL football and to the quarters before he came along. Don’t get me wrong I love Poch but let’s not oversell it. Practically everyone on here likes to talk like we are one of the top clubs, therefore we have to act like one. We haven’t won any trophies which means that’s something we have to do. This means showing more progression. Some people are seeing warning signs that Poch might not be the man to take us to the next level and they are perfectly entitled to. As has been discussed there are plenty of consistencies that mean he is entitled to be questioned. He has won NOTHING in his managerial career so let’s not pretend he’s at GHod like status and that no one should dare question his methods....
We were consistently finishing 5th or 6th a mile away from 4th. Yes, technically we were a top 6 club, but never really a top 3-4 one, which is what we are now. So yes, we are punching above our weight.

And all this "Poch has never won anything in his career as a manager" is incredibly blinkered. He was coaching Espanyol and Southampton ffs! What do you think he should have won with those teams?

Freund was a simple defensive mid, we knew what we were getting and at the time it was exactly what we needed to help protect the exposed back 4. Plus he cost 1 million pounds iirc. what we dudnt know we were getting was such a fantastic character.

Sissoko is not what we needed at all, his performances and more importantly attitude stunk the place out at Saudi Sportswashing Machine, and yet we decided to make him our record signing. :confused: we were crying out for a Mane type, a wide forward who us rapid, can score and assist, but we go and spunk 30 mill on Sissoko who has none of those qualities. Why would you do that for a player that can just run around a bit. It was frustrating

Nothing against the lad but it was a bad deal and yes from all points of view one of the worst the club has ever made.

Poch actually signed him because he felt Sissoko offered something similar to what Mane does, here's the quotes from when he signed him. I agree we need a player like that but don't believe SIssoko is the answer. I don't think he's been as awful as people say but his touch and passing aren't at the required level but he does bring the ball out well, puts a shift in and has a good engine to get up and down. He would have injected more energy into the West Brom game if he'd started for instance.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...end-30million-on-moussa-sissoko-a7219236.html

Poch actually signed him because he felt Sissoko offered something similar to what Mane does, here's the quotes from when he signed him. I agree we need a player like that but don't believe SIssoko is the answer. I don't think he's been as awful as people say but his touch and passing aren't at the required level but he does bring the ball out well, puts a shift in and has a good engine to get up and down. He would have injected more energy into the West Brom game if he'd started for instance.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...end-30million-on-moussa-sissoko-a7219236.html
A second glass of wine has given me inspiration for a tactic to break through those bus parking type defences. I call it the phalanx. Basically all the big players on the team ring Eriksen, who has the ball, and they all run in formation into the opposition goal. Sissoko can be the point of the phalanx or something.

We were consistently finishing 5th or 6th a mile away from 4th. Yes, technically we were a top 6 club, but never really a top 3-4 one, which is what we are now. So yes, we are punching above our weight.

And all this "Poch has never won anything in his career as a manager" is incredibly blinkered. He was coaching Espanyol and Southampton ffs! What do you think he should have won with those teams?

It’s the issue people never see... they don’t want to look at who he coached, just how many years

And on the subject of league places the higher you are the harder it is to go up one place ... it costs something bonkers when you look at the investment needed and we ave done it with minimal investment

Going from where we are to winning the league would take investment in the squad that I doubt we can fund under the current structure

My take.
it’s more an obsivation that he is not an ‘elite’ manager with a large budget like his ‘direct’ adversaries . Thus people should not be so critical.
But he has some annoying traits in his management which are allowed to be discussed without ridicule.

Last edited:
How many times do you read that Spurs are punching above their weight? Probably weekly I would guess.

Actually not. I hardly ever hear it (outside of here). How we are playing, the company we compete with, its never ever factored into the reasoning.

We are one and the same as Pool/Chelsea/Arsenal/Utd... That we have half the budget is never even considered, to my eye.

THAT is how good a job Poch has done. People dont even pay attention to it now, just accept it.

Last thought for the night. Is Poch turning into AVB? Discuss.

Poch is, and always has been, the manager AVB wishes he was (and was supposed to be).

AVB, a manager that promotes a high press, high intensity press, wants to physically dominate the opponent, likes vertical passes, likes playing in transition, promised to work with youth and develop players...

When we signed AVB everything about him, that we bought into and he never delivered - is what Poch has done successfully.

It’s the issue people never see... they don’t want to look at who he coached, just how many years

And on the subject of league places the higher you are the harder it is to go up one place ... it costs something bonkers when you look at the investment needed and we ave done it with minimal investment

Going from where we are to winning the league would take investment in the squad that I doubt we can fund under the current structure

We would need a very well healed investor.
Sadly some on here think its an excuse and we bottle everythings........

Some quotes "Sissoko is more of a destroyer" arf arf arf ... of who? Himself and the team?

But I don't want to discuss this further. Hopefully he is shipped out.

The way I rate a player is to see if he would be in any of the teams ahead of us? Or at the very least present a reasonable argument.

Some quotes "Sissoko is more of a destroyer" arf arf arf ... of who? Himself and the team?

But I don't want to discuss this further. Hopefully he is shipped out.

The way I rate a player is to see if he would be in any of the teams ahead of us? Or at the very least present a reasonable argument.

Sissoko has become a thought experiment. Its the same as the flat earth society, nobody believes what they say, they just want to form a convincing argument...

Sissoko has become a thought experiment. Its the same as the flat earth society, nobody believes what they say, they just want to form a convincing argument...

Very good, mind you could say the same thing about those who can not get the transfer fee out of their minds when talking about him and made their minds up before he played for us and will not go back on that. ;)

Very good, mind you could say the same thing about those who can not get the transfer fee out of their minds when talking about him and made their minds up before he played for us and will not go back on that.

Certainly not me.

If you frame the question as "Is he value for money" then my answer would be no, otherwise its not something I worry about.

Levy runs a tight ship, whatever we pay for whoever is fine by me (even if £40m for Sanchez raised an eyebrow at the time).

My judgement of Sissoko is and always has been as a footballer. Which he isnt ;):D.

Certainly not me.

If you frame the question as "Is he value for money" then my answer would be no, otherwise its not something I worry about.

Levy runs a tight ship, whatever we pay for whoever is fine by me (even if £40m for Sanchez raised an eyebrow at the time).

My judgement of Sissoko is and always has been as a footballer. Which he isnt ;):D.

I would never suggest that you are one of them mate :) there are a few though.

We must remember the pay scale Poch is working with. Its not like he can dip into the entire player pool and pick which players he wants.

When buying the likes of Sanchez, Moura etc these are probably the best players available in our budget (PS I think both have great potential with us).

Players like Mane, Salad, Martial etc aren't an option for Poch.

I feel like I say this every window but there is such a limited amount of players available that will:

1. Improve our best 15 players
2. Want to join us (Not be swayed by a rival)
3. Are willing to fit into our pay scale

It would be interesting to see who you and others think these players are? I know our scouts should be capable of finding the odd nugget, a Payet maybe, but they are simply few and far between.

Whats hurting us is 1 or 2 of the top class players we do have wanting to leave - and Poch cant control that either.

We were in for both Mane (I think) and Marital (definitely), we got priced out on wages. Which kind of proves the point really!

The players we need are good enough for elite clubs. Thats a very small pool in reality. Of that pool, we need ones who will choose us, and will accept our wage offerings. Which is an even smaller pool of players.

The Mane and Martial of the world - those are the players we will secure with the new stadium IMO. We will offer more competitive wages and make it a fairer fight. Even so, though, its still like finding a needle in a haystack really.

Back