• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

James McCarthy

I'd much rather we bought an understudy for them anyway, than parachute in some name to block their progress - so McCarthy or Linetty would be ideal

I wouldn't... I think the best way to improve is to bring in players who are better than the ones you have in the first team. We should be aiming to replace our weakest 2 or 3 first team players each year. Those 2 or 3 players can then become squad players.

I wouldn't... I think the best way to improve is to bring in players who are better than the ones you have in the first team. We should be aiming to replace our weakest 2 or 3 first team players each year. Those 2 or 3 players can then become squad players.

I agree, we have a big hole in our CM and we need to find a player who can fix that and its not Mason.

what if, after his first PL season under his belt, Mason comes back a much better player..........after all, who expected Kane to have such a massive impact last season with the few first team chances he was given late on during the season before

another Poch pre season, more faith in him which gives him added confidence, his performances might be quite surprising

I agree, we have a big hole in our CM and we need to find a player who can fix that and its not Mason.

I'd say judge Mason next season (like we should with anyone after their first season)

If we can get a better player on then I'm all for it but McCarthy is not one

I still say that if we fix the front 3 with players who bust their balls with effort we will automatically defend better as a unit

I'd say judge Mason next season (like we should with anyone after their first season)

If we can get a better player on then I'm all for it but McCarthy is not one

I still say that if we fix the front 3 with players who bust their balls with effort we will automatically defend better as a unit

(1) Of course we should see what he does next season I have never said anything else, however he is not defensive minded and I doubt he will ever be.

(2) Well Stop! Hammer time and I disagree I think McCarthy is better at the defensive side of the game which is what we badly need.

(3) I disagree, our CM was wide open last year and the main reason was none of the three ( Benaleb, Mason,Eriksen ) are defensive minded, making our front three players work harder will help but it will not solve the problem.

(1) Of course we should see what he does next season I have never said anything else, however he is not defensive minded and I doubt he will ever be.

Agree with that. However I see him as a recycler and passer in a role similar to Fabregash

(2) Well Stop! Hammer time and I disagree I think McCarthy is better at the defensive side of the game which is what we badly need.

Yeah e is definitely more dfsnuve because he spends a lot of time chasing the ball or the man. He offers nothing else which I think we need personally

(3) I disagree, our CM was wide open last year and the main reason was none of the three ( Benaleb, Mason,Eriksen ) are defensive minded, making our front three players work harder will help but it will not solve the problem

Again I agree. The best exponents of our system have players defending from the front

When we played at our best last season, we had the three behind the striker work incredibly hard (Chelsea, arsenal and Everton spring to mind). The games where one or two of them have been average to poor we have struggled defensively.

There not the answer but if you eliminate the problems further up the pitch you defend better as a unit

Mourinho last season had William and hazard working their socks off consistently and winning ball further il the pitch. That's how you defend as a team

Mourinho last season had William and hazard working their socks off consistently and winning ball further il the pitch. That's how you defend as a team

He also had Matic sitting in front of the back four which had more to do with it. I have already said that making the front three players work harder would help, but without someone in CM who has a defensive awareness has to be a priorty.

McCarthy ws bought for 15M; what has he got/done that would makes him worth a bid of near 20M (if not more Everton are unlikely to sell for much less given their outlay)?

McCarthy ws bought for 15M; what has he got/done that would makes him worth a bid of near 20M (if not more Everton are unlikely to sell for much less given their outlay)?

He is probably over valued at that price, however you could say the same ting for lots of players in todays market.

He is probably over valued at that price, however you could say the same ting for lots of players in todays market.

True, but what attributes does he have that our current midfield don't? Also, how does he compare with Schneiderlin or, say, Fernandinho?

He also had Matic sitting in front of the back four which had more to do with it. I have already said that making the front three players work harder would help, but without someone in CM who has a defensive awareness has to be a priorty.

And Matic is class hence the £25m fee

I'd argue that Bentelab plays the Matic role personally as he invariably plays
The deeper of the two but everyone cites Mason as the DM

Chelsea show that with the right balance of technical players working hard you can defend from thw front

We could play like Southampton and play two defensive players there at all times but that's pretty dull IMO and certainly isn't our way of playing

And Matic is class hence the £25m fee

I'd argue that Bentelab plays the Matic role personally as he invariably plays
The deeper of the two but everyone cites Mason as the DM

Chelsea show that with the right balance of technical players working hard you can defend from thw front

We could play like Southampton and play two defensive players there at all times but that's pretty dull IMO and certainly isn't our way of playing

(1) He is still the main reason Chelski are hard to break down which is why I mentioned him, as you mentioned the two flank players.

(2) Neither of our two CM player are a DM as they do not have a defensive brain.

(3) You keep mentioning Chelski and they do work hard as a team, but they have a proper DM where we do not.

We are going round in circles her though as we obviously disagree.

True, but what attributes does he have that our current midfield don't? Also, how does he compare with Schneiderlin or, say, Fernandinho?

I would say he is nearer to Fernandinio to be honest, the point is we need a player who is more defense minded then either Mason or Bentaleb.

Bentaleb and Mason were doing very well until Dembele was taken out of the team imo, he provided a shield that Eriksen just cannot replicate.

Last edited:
Bentaleb and Mason were doing very until Dembele was taken out of the team imo, he provided a shield that Eriksen just cannot replicate.

Agree massively.

Is not the defensive work demebel does that's key though it's the way he holds the ball up in the position half and doesn't lose it so he is a viable out ball.

I've seen plenty of games last season where Chadli for is native has hardly touched the ball for large spells

We looked very good last season with dembele playing that role and I don't understand why we didn't play it more in the important games

He was so bad today.
Awful. Truly awful. I've felt for a while that the only two players from the current Irish squad that I'd be happy to see at Spurs would be Coleman and McCarthy. You can't judge a player on one game only of course, but based on the Scotland match they're both lucky to be in the premier league and wouldn't get near the Spurs team. It's depressing... I really thought O'Neill & Keane would at least get us to the Euros... and in fairness we ended up in an especially tough group... but it looks like we just don't have the players at the moment.

Back