• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

James McCarthy

Awful. Truly awful. I've felt for a while that the only two players from the current Irish squad that I'd be happy to see at Spurs would be Coleman and McCarthy. You can't judge a player on one game only of course, but based on the Scotland match they're both lucky to be in the premier league and wouldn't get near the Spurs team. It's depressing... I really thought O'Neill & Keane would at least get us to the Euros... and in fairness we ended up in an especially tough group... but it looks like we just don't have the management team at the moment.

Fixed it for you.
No charge - you're welcome

Awful. Truly awful. I've felt for a while that the only two players from the current Irish squad that I'd be happy to see at Spurs would be Coleman and McCarthy. You can't judge a player on one game only of course, but based on the Scotland match they're both lucky to be in the premier league and wouldn't get near the Spurs team. It's depressing... I really thought O'Neill & Keane would at least get us to the Euros... and in fairness we ended up in an especially tough group... but it looks like we just don't have the players at the moment.

Robbie Brady should be playing in the centre of midfield. Thats how bad we were.

Robbie Brady should be playing in the centre of midfield. Thats how bad we were.
Great crosser of the ball Brady.

That was a typical McCarthy performance IMO. A few nice touches, a few reckless tackles and a lot of nothing. IMO he doesn't have the half the drive and commitment our current centre pairing have, especially Bentaleb, and we shouldn't touch him with a barge pole.

Last edited:
But are Ireland any worse now (in terms of available personnel) than they were under Trappatoni?

Yes. The issue with Trap was he never went to watch Irish players at any games. He refused to call up the likes of Coleman and McClean when they broke through because he hadnt seen them. He arrived at Ireland and decidedthe only way they could achieve anything was play like Greece in 2004 and build a team around playing long balls to Kevin Doyle. The only game Ireland passed the ball under him was in Paris against France when the players took it on themselves to ignore his orders and give it a go.

From the remarks regarding McCarthy on here I think he'd pleasantly surprise some, he has something about him and would probably only get better playing in our team.

Im also very comfortable in trusting Poch and Mitchell's judgement on players that would fit in with our system and improve the team over anyone on here including myself....

yeah id rather go into the new season with Bentaleb, Mason, Stambouli, and Alli rather than pay pay near enough 20 mill for McCarthy. just my opinion.

McCarthy is Michael brown MK 2. Runs a round a of but very little football brain or technique of we seem him replacing two footballers in Mason and Bentelab then we have serious issues IMO

Coupled with the fact he has 3 years left on a contract that cost Everton £13m to buy him... The will want schenjerldain money for a player not even half as good in my opinion

McCarthy is Michael brown MK 2. Runs a round a of but very little football brain or technique of we seem him replacing two footballers in Mason and Bentelab then we have serious issues IMO

Coupled with the fact he has 3 years left on a contract that cost Everton £13m to buy him... The will want schenjerldain money for a player not even half as good in my opinion
Close.

:D that is so funny.

Everton fans seem to be very Meh about losing him, this sets off alarm bells.

I wish I could find the article now, but there is a piece wrote somewhere about when Mitchell scouted Lovren for Saints. He spotted that Lovren has been booked a hell of a lot and was rated one of the worse defenders in French league, but Mitchell said it was due to the high line lyon played and said in the saints set up, he would work well.

Interestingly he looked decent at saints but struggled at Liverpool.

Maybe Mitchell sees something in mcarthy that can be changed to suit spurs.

these lads are trained coaches, experts and don't judge on match of the day highlights. have a little faith

I wish I could find the article now, but there is a piece wrote somewhere about when Mitchell scouted Lovren for Saints. He spotted that Lovren has been booked a hell of a lot and was rated one of the worse defenders in French league, but Mitchell said it was due to the high line lyon played and said in the saints set up, he would work well.

Interestingly he looked decent at saints but struggled at Liverpool.

Maybe Mitchell sees something in mcarthy that can be changed to suit spurs.

these lads are trained coaches, experts and don't judge on match of the day highlights. have a little faith

fair enough, however I wonder how far we would go to land McCarthy because i dont see Everton selling for less than 20 mill pounds. They paid 13 mill for him and he still has 3 years left on his contract.

yes, if he was playing in France maybe we could pick him up for 7 mill like we did Capoue/Stambouli and then if things dont go well we could look to offload. However when the figure to buy is around the 20 mill mark then you see why fans are wary of such a purchase.

fair enough, however I wonder how far we would go to land McCarthy because i dont see Everton selling for less than 20 mill pounds. They paid 13 mill for him and he still has 3 years left on his contract.

yes, if he was playing in France maybe we could pick him up for 7 mill like we did Capoue/Stambouli and then if things dont go well we could look to offload. However when the figure to buy is around the 20 mill mark then you see why fans are wary of such a purchase.

And the cost for Delph has now set a bench mark for average British players (I know he plays for the Republic)

Back