• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

James McCarthy

£20m is a joke. Was hardly a stand out performer in a relegation club, how on earth they think they can command a figure of that much is a joke. Even more of a joke that we even think we need another CM. I mean this guy would just sit on the bench wouldn't he?

£20m is a joke. Was hardly a stand out performer in a relegation club, how on earth they think they can command a figure of that much is a joke. Even more of a joke that we even think we need another CM. I mean this guy would just sit on the bench wouldn't he?

He'll go for less then 10m imo.

If we have £12m to blow on a 5th choice centre mid, I'd rather we put it towards the best young striker whizzkid we can possibly find in the hope that he turns out to be amazing.

what? Whelen managed to get 14 mill out of us for Palacios :lol:

Very different situation. That was in the January transfer window with prices inflated and Wigan desperate to keep him to try to fight off relegation (I think, weren't they always doing that?)

Palacios was also a very good player by the way. He looked like a great deal for that price (was £12m actually I think) up until the tragedy with his brother.

Does Whelan think we're Liverpool ?

McCarthy for 20 million reminds me of the Jordan Henderson signing. British and overpriced!

Very different situation. That was in the January transfer window with prices inflated and Wigan desperate to keep him to try to fight off relegation (I think, weren't they always doing that?)

Palacios was also a very good player by the way. He looked like a great deal for that price (was £12m actually I think) up until the tragedy with his brother.

Valencia to Man Utd for 17 mill in the summer of 2009?

9 mill for Moses who i think only had 1 year left on his contract

nearly 10 mill for Nzogbia, last year of his contract too :eek::lol:

Whelen is quite a trader

Different situations because they are now relegated.

he might not get 20 mill for McCarthy, but he will get around 15 mill imo which is still a lot, relegation or not

oh, and Levy paid 16.5 mill for Bent after Charlton were relegated....yeah yeah probably you will find another different situation :)

he might not get 20 mill for McCarthy, but he will get around 15 mill imo which is still a lot, relegation or not

oh, and Levy paid 16.5 mill for Bent after Charlton were relegated....yeah yeah probably you will find another different situation :)

Strikers generally cost more than midfielders.

Whelan might get £15m for him, but I doubt he'll get it from us.

Strikers generally cost more than midfielders.

Whelan might get £15m for him, but I doubt he'll get it from us.

:) except Antonio Valencia, who cost more than Bent, was transferred in a summer, and Wigan hadnt been relegated

why wouldnt Wigan get 15 mill for McCarthy from us....he is young, talented, has PL experience, an Irish international. I think he ticks many boxes from a Spurs point of view. I wouldnt buy him, but i think the people in charge at Spurs seem to be very interested

I feel like I'm really missing out. I watched a lot of Wigan last year as I love Shaun Maloney and McCarthy didn't stand out as being anything other than competent.

:) except Antonio Valencia, who cost more than Bent, was transferred in a summer, and Wigan hadnt been relegated

why wouldnt Wigan get 15 mill for McCarthy from us....he is young, talented, has PL experience, an Irish international. I think he ticks many boxes from a Spurs point of view. I wouldnt buy him, but i think the people in charge at Spurs seem to be very interested

Generally.

Wigan still being in the PL at that point probably increased what they could get for Valencia.

Because we just spent more than 15 mill on a central midfielder, we already have Sandro and Dembele and we have other positions that we have to strengthen.

Darren Bent was never worth 16 mill, neither was Bentley worth 16 mill...but Levy signed the cheques

Fancy signing a cheque for £16 million!

He didn't of course. Direct debit £300,000 per month. You don't even notice it that way.

Last edited:
Back