• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

James McCarthy

And the cost for Delph has now set a bench mark for average British players (I know he plays for the Republic)

not really because Delph has a low release clause in his contract. Without the 8 mill clause Villa would be demanding 15-20 mill from a normal club and probably 20-25 mill from Emirates Marketing Project

not really because Delph has a low release clause in his contract. Without the 8 mill clause Villa would be demanding 15-20 mill from a normal club and probably 20-25 mill from Emirates Marketing Project

How do we know that? People are assuming that and I'm sure there is a strong possibility that it's true but no one has seen the contract here have they

Seriously the Delph deal is a British player moving for a fair and reasonable value

That is the bench mark

Their is no reason whatsoever for McCarthy to cost more then than his own clubs valuation and that's their right. If it means we don't get him then great because he really isn't that good

You have to laugh at the posts by some during the summer window, all the links to players that are ( in most cases) made up by the " gutter press" or " "wanabee bloggers" with too much time on their hands. It turns some to fits of depression and hand wringing which is hilarious to see. :)

How do we know that? People are assuming that and I'm sure there is a strong possibility that it's true but no one has seen the contract here have they

Seriously the Delph deal is a British player moving for a fair and reasonable value

That is the bench mark

Their is no reason whatsoever for McCarthy to cost more then than his own clubs valuation and that's their right. If it means we don't get him then great because he really isn't that good

common sense

Are you saying that there's common sense in football???

And are you also saying that Villa got A player to sign a contract knowing full well they would sell him and therefore take the power away from him???

Are you saying that Villa sold one of their best players and England International whi had just signed a new contract to the richest club in the league (world?) for a paltry 8m quid WITHOUT a release clause?

You crazy foo'

Are you saying that Villa sold one of their best players and England International whi had just signed a new contract to the richest club in the league (world?) for a paltry 8m quid WITHOUT a release clause?

You crazy foo'

no i am saying that it's purely speculation with only a few people knowing the facts

no i am saying that it's purely speculation with only a few people knowing the facts

Well of course it's speculation - doesn't make it any less obvious what went on though and as such you can't say 8m is the benchmark for that 'level' of player

Well of course it's speculation - doesn't make it any less obvious what went on though and as such you can't say 8m is the benchmark for that 'level' of player

Of course I can.

One is an England international who is recognised to have improved a lot and is wanted by the richest club in the world

The other plays for the Republic of Ireland who have had a pretty poor couple of year and he has been recognised by their press as having been poor in that side. His club side were comfortably beaten by U.S. Twice last season and he played in both games anonymously... And his side were pretty crap last year

Delph at least played well against us

£8m is the maximum value of MCCarthy based on his limited ability and his performances for the last two seasons

If anyone thinks a player who got completely outplayed by Mason and Bentelab would be an upgrade their delusional.

McCarthy would be an awful signing for me, completely uninspiring in the position we are desperately weak. I think mason is poor, but how much of an upgrade is McCarthy? Is he better than Stambouli or capoue? Hopefully it's either flimflam, or I'm completely wrong about him, but currently our dealings are very unambitious and just a tad mid-table.

Of course I can.

One is an England international who is recognised to have improved a lot and is wanted by the richest club in the world

The other plays for the Republic of Ireland who have had a pretty poor couple of year and he has been recognised by their press as having been poor in that side. His club side were comfortably beaten by U.S. Twice last season and he played in both games anonymously... And his side were pretty crap last year

Delph at least played well against us

£8m is the maximum value of MCCarthy based on his limited ability and his performances for the last two seasons

If anyone thinks a player who got completely outplayed by Mason and Bentelab would be an upgrade their delusional.

You can if you want but it wouldn't make any sense as It's not an even comparison because Delph obviously had a get out clause skewing things.

Fwiw i wouldn't buy him for a bag peanuts but if you think the Delp to City deal has any baring on his value then i think that's just straight up wrong.

Last edited:
Of course I can.

agree, but this is nothing to do with Delph's current value because of that 8 mill clause. Without that clause he would be on the market at the 15-20 mill level

McCarthy would be an awful signing for me, completely uninspiring in the position we are desperately weak. I think mason is poor, but how much of an upgrade is McCarthy? Is he better than Stambouli or capoue? Hopefully it's either hogwash, or I'm completely wrong about him, but currently our dealings are very unambitious and just a tad mid-table.

Well I think he would be a upgrade on Mason who ( imo) is only rated highly by some because he is " one of ours", as for Stambouli I have no idea as I believe we have not seen enough of him to judge ( again imo).

All I know is we have to upgrade our CM because if we do not then I can see our back four being overrun again next season, they were left wide open by our CM last season and it will happen again if we persist with it as it is.

Well I think he would be a upgrade on Mason who ( imo) is only rated highly by some because he is " one of ours", as for Stambouli I have no idea as I believe we have not seen enough of him to judge ( again imo).

All I know is we have to upgrade our CM because if we do not then I can see our back four being overrun again next season, they were left wide open by our CM last season and it will happen again if we persist with it as it is.

if you look at the squaka stats comparing the two, Mason comes out on top in most key areas.

if you look at the squaka stats comparing the two, Mason comes out on top in most key areas.

Mason is a better player

The stats show it apparently and the head to head games showed it

But Masons game is asuxh creative as it is defensive (something McCarthy can barely dream of)

I'd were after a true "stopper" then it's Bentelabs role that's arguably at risk too

Ultimately the pair of them are very similar players but Mason does more going forward than Bentelab

MCCarthy isn't as good as either

Personally I would be disappointed if we sell those two to Watford and replace them with McCarthy, we should and can do better. I mean they need to be sold but we need better replacements

I agree he is an upgrade, but marginal, and mason is so bad it isn't saying much. It's our weakest area of the pitch and we need to get a far better player... Early days yet, but we're worryingly small time in our dealings so far. West brim going for McCarthy would raise any eyebrows, never mind Spurs filling the weakest area of the pitch...

I agree he is an upgrade, but marginal, and mason is so bad it isn't saying much. It's our weakest area of the pitch and we need to get a far better player... Early days yet, but we're worryingly small time in our dealings so far. West brim going for McCarthy would raise any eyebrows, never mind Spurs filling the weakest area of the pitch...

How is McCarthy an upgrade?

Can someone please tell me as statistically he isn't and head to head he wasn't!!! And he had experience on his side

Screw the stats, I have worked with stats in football and they very rarely tell the full picture. One of the big problems with todays football is that some get so blinded by stats they fail to see the big picture. I can see with my own eyes and Mason is a weak link and raved about by some ( through blue tinted glasses) because he is home grown.

Screw the stats, I have worked with stats in football and they very rarely tell the full picture. One of the big problems with todays football is that some get so blinded by stats they fail to see the big picture. I can see with my own eyes and Mason is a weak link and raved about by some ( through blue tinted glasses) because he is home grown.

he is raved about by very few. Most see him as someone who has done ok but can also be replaced by someone better. Point is, McCarthy is no better, in fact he is inferior so why waste 20 mill replacing Mason with him

Back