• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

James McCarthy

We need mifield depth should we go 433 yes,
but at the moment if we assume we want rid of Parker, Huddlestone and Livermore,
then it's Sandro we need cover for most of all.
Signing McCarthy is the end of Carroll's chance with Spurs.

Barely, he'd be 6th choice. Top Cat can fill that role and we don't even have to pay £10m+ for him. What's Mccarthy ever done? Looked like an average player in a team that went down? If I had to take a Wigan player it'd be Shaun Maloney, at least he's capable of something other than running around.

I only saw about five Wigan games last year (usually I'd see more as my mate is a Wigan fan, but he moved to a different part of the country last year, so we didn't get together to watch football as often as we used to) but McCarthy looked WAY above average in those games. And I've seen pretty much every performance he's put in for Ireland (most of them from the stands) and once again, he's been a lot better than "average". I guess different people see different things - one of the great things about football in a way - but if you say that the only thing he can do is "running around", I'm wondering whether we're even talking about the same player.

I only saw about five Wigan games last year (usually I'd see more as my mate is a Wigan fan, but he moved to a different part of the country last year, so we didn't get together to watch football as often as we used to) but McCarthy looked WAY above average in those games. And I've seen pretty much every performance he's put in for Ireland (most of them from the stands) and once again, he's been a lot better than "average". I guess different people see different things - one of the great things about football in a way - but if you say that the only thing he can do is "running around", I'm wondering whether we're even talking about the same player.

What does he do? Because statistically, he creates fudge all. He's just an all rounder, runs a bit, tackles a bit, passes a bit. Livermore can do that.

Tottenham Hotspur ...the team that find it so fudging easy to sign hundreds of central midfielders but can't fudging buy a striker for brick.

What does he do? Because statistically, he creates fudge all. He's just an all rounder, runs a bit, tackles a bit, passes a bit. Livermore can do that.

"runs a bit, tackles a bit, passes a bit" - pretty much defines every midfielder in the world. It's about the quality of the running, tackling and passing is it not? And from that perspective he's streets ahead of Livermore.

Tottenham Hotspur ...the team that find it so fudging easy to sign hundreds of central midfielders but can't fudging buy a striker for brick.

I remember a few years back when all we seemed to do was sign RB's now its central midfielders...

He is one years older than Tom Carroll and has over 100 more appearances at Prem level experience than him.

We could probably get Carroll a good Prem loan this season if it goes through

I really don't think united have a stronger collection of centre mids? Arsenal have 3 very good ones but not much after that.

We have a great squad. This guy could be a good addition. All depends on the price.

I must be cracking up because I thought there was already a thread about McCarthy where sums of up to £15 million were discussed?

I think this would be a very positive signing.

Carroll needs a Premiership loan, we need a bit of creativity in the middle, McCarthy would be the perfect solution. He seems far more suited to the team AVB is building than Carroll in that he is very athletic, while being more creative than any of our other midfielders. If Carroll were to shine on his loan, McCarthy's signing would not preclude his inclusion in the squad next year either.

He is not a proven, top-quality centre-mid, but we are never going to be able to sign one of those. McCarthy is probably about as good as we could do, ran the Wigan team last year at a very young age.

Then again, I wouldn't pay much above £10m for him. And we need to be spending our money on a striker and a wide-forward first and foremost. If Coentrao is available he would be a great addition too...

Last edited:
I really don't think united have a stronger collection of centre mids? Arsenal have 3 very good ones but not much after that.

Agreed. Talk to a United fan about their midfield and they will rant for hours. It's the one area that they have required large improvements over the last few years.

If Wigan are willing to accept player trades then i'm all for this move. Otherwise spending 20 mill on Mccarthy would be a waste.

£20m??? Are they having a fudging laugh? There are much better players than him that would cost less.

another player almost 6ft or over.....size matters to AVB

£20m??? Are they having a fudging laugh? There are much better players than him that would cost less.

Thats the problem with him - signing him from an English club. If he was foreign (aside from prbably being technically better) he would probably only cost £8m - £10m

Back