• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Yes I agree. I just don't like the thought of giving away reckless and needless fouls in our own half that put us under unnecessary pressure. The stats you produce are surprising to me but I accept that they are a powerful argument to the contrary nevertheless.

Assuming you're right if you took the time to look up the chalkboards for the last handful of games Lamela has played you would expect a significant number of fouls from him in dangerous positions our half then?

Assuming you're right if you took the time to look up the chalkboards for the last handful of games Lamela has played you would expect a significant number of fouls from him in dangerous positions our half then?

I would over the whole season, yes. Has he curbed his recklessness in the last handful of games where his contribution has been less effective overall and against teams where we have dominated anyway, possibly not.

I would over the whole season, yes. Has he curbed his recklessness in the last handful of games where his contribution has been less effective overall and against teams where we have dominated anyway, possibly not.
I don't think he's curbed his recklessness, I just don't think he was reckless. Below are the last 7 matches that he's played more than a handful of minutes in. In all of that time, he's committed one foul in what I'd consider anything like a dangerous area - against Everton.
01-watford.png 02-sunderland.png 03-leicester.png 04-everton.png 05-watford.png 06-norwich.png 07-scbc.png

Start him, but then sub him after 65 minutes when he's on a yellow and has been ineffectual and we need someone to come in and be a real threat going forward.

That's what we did against Arsenal when we were leading 1-0 and we almost lost the game after Lamela went off. I think Lamela's defensive duties are much more important to us than his attacking ones. He stops the opponent's attacks instantly, all over the field. Mind you, he even tackles the goalkeeper ! He is the extra defensive midfielder that any team will love to have.

That's what we did against Arsenal when we were leading 1-0 and we almost lost the game after Lamela went off. I think Lamela's defensive duties are much more important to us than his attacking ones. He stops the opponent's attacks instantly, all over the field. Mind you, he even tackles the goalkeeper ! He is the extra defensive midfielder that any team will love to have.

It's a funny kind of ineffectual when you have one of the best records in the team for creating goal scoring chances.

What can I say. Opinions remain strongly divided.

He hustles, I will grant you that. Did we buy him as a defensive midfielder who can put in a good shift? Not sure. You cite a game where he came off and the defensive dynamic shifted, I'm sure I can find at least one example where he came off and we scored thereafter.

I can't verify his record of creating goal-scoring chances, but I'll take you at your word. I might put that down to the position he plays in this side, and would venture that any advanced midfielder will inevitably be creating chances, statistically speaking, particularly one tasked with taking corners and free kicks. Then again, there is no other player in the current side who in my view more often picks the wrong pass, or waits too long, scuffs a shot, inspires less confidence near goal, or otherwise leaves me frustrated going forward in the final third.

And that's the club's record signing.

I cheer him on every time he plays, and I do value his endeavor in chasing opponents around the pitch. So perhaps it depends on the dynamic of the particular game and the scoreline as to whether it calls for a clogger in midfield. But I've stopped expecting any magic from him. Can he play a pass to someone else who creates the magic? Probably. But with 30 minutes left in a tight match where we need a goal, I'd much rather see Chadli or Son or Carroll even Onomah come on, and if recent history is a guide, it seems that Poch feels the same. Honest question since I don't have the stats - in how many matches has Lamela been on the pitch at the final whistle?

I'm not slagging him. He's good for some things. But not for others. I suppose that can be said about every player, and perhaps it's down to which set of things one looks at, wants, values, or expects. Maybe that's a different set for you than it is for me. We're not alone - he and Chadli are probably the players as to whom opinion is most divided on this forum lately.

At the end of the day, if he continues to play a role in a side that keeps on winning and legitimately challenging for the title, then I guess I'm happy to agree to disagree.

Last edited:
we didn't buy Bale to be a 10, we only bought Ricky to keep Ossie company, we only hired 'Arry to save us from relegation

What can I say. Opinions remain strongly divided.

He hustles, I will grant you that. Did we buy him as a defensive midfielder who can put in a good shift? Not sure. You cite a game where he came off and the defensive dynamic shifted, I'm sure I can find at least one example where he came off and we scored thereafter.

I can't verify his record of creating goal-scoring chances, but I'll take you at your word. I might put that down to the position he plays in this side, and would venture that any advanced midfielder will inevitably be creating chances, statistically speaking, particularly one tasked with taking corners and free kicks. Then again, there is no other player in the current side who in my view more often picks the wrong pass, or waits too long, scuffs a shot, inspires less confidence near goal, or otherwise leaves me frustrated going forward in the final third.

And that's the club's record signing.

I cheer him on every time he plays, and I do value his endeavor in chasing opponents around the pitch. So perhaps it depends on the dynamic of the particular game and the scoreline as to whether it calls for a clogger in midfield. But I've stopped expecting any magic from him. Can he play a pass to someone else who creates the magic? Probably. But with 30 minutes left in a tight match where we need a goal, I'd much rather see Chadli or Son or Carroll even Onomah come on, and if recent history is a guide, it seems that Poch feels the same. Honest question since I don't have the stats - in how many matches has Lamela been on the pitch at the final whistle?

I'm not slagging him. He's good for some things. But not for others. I suppose that can be said about every player, and perhaps it's down to which set of things one looks at, wants, values, or expects. Maybe that's a different set for you than it is for me. We're not alone - he and Chadli are probably the players as to whom opinion is most divided on this forum lately.

At the end of the day, if he continues to play a role in a side that keeps on winning and legitimately challenging for the title, then I guess I'm happy to agree to disagree.

I think that you miss understood the point that I was making. Lamela has created the second most chances of any player in the Spurs squad this season and his all round attacking stats are good.

Have a look at these, whatever way you look at it, he is making a very solid contribution going forward

https://tinyurl.com/Lamela-stats

Care to expand on that and explain why?

I tried to be even handed in the stats I chose, I included pretty much all of the relevant attacking stats and did not cherry pick to fit my argument.

If they go against your preconceived opinion they are flimflam - come on milo you should know the drill by now, can't change your mind once you've nailed your colors to the mast :p

Last edited:
I like his work rate - I like his defensive contribution. I like how hard it can be to get the ball off him. I love him when he contributes via assists or scoring. Sometimes he can be puzzling but damn

PS HE SHOULD GIVE SON HIS TIPS ON BUILDING UPPER BODY STRENGTH AND WORK ETHIC!!

Back