• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Lamela cannot finish, whenever he gets a sight of goal, he gets stage fright. Son all day for me. With very limited chances in the side he has been far more composed in front of goal and his pressing is as good, if not better. He doesn't concede many stupid fouls.
I think he's still trying too hard. Which works great in his pressing and closing down game, but not in his attacking game. Once he relaxes a bit, the goals will come.

I think all this fouling is evidence that Quique Sanchez Flores had it right when he said we're "ANIMALS!!!"

Rabid badgers, I shouldn't wonder.

Last edited:
Fouls break up play. Look at Chelsea against Arsenal last season, absolutely changed their style of play by fouling them every 5 minutes. Say we didn't make one of them fouls in their half, what's saying they wouldn't have scored from that play?

Fouls break up play. Look at Chelsea against Arsenal last season, absolutely changed their style of play by fouling them every 5 minutes. Say we didn't make one of them fouls in their half, what's saying they wouldn't have scored from that play?
Good point. It's interesting when you look at match stats that the majority of the time it is the winning team that commits the most fouls.

The point is.

Fouls in oppose half = fine good and dandy

Fouls in our half= not so fine and dandy, especially if they are reckless and needless giving the oppo more dead ball attacks at our goal.

@milo are you really sure we have only conceded one goal from a free kick all season? I must admit I tend to block out the oppo's goals!!!

Selective memory and all that is a wonderful thing at my age!!!

The point is.

Fouls in our half= not so fine and dandy, especially if they are reckless and needless giving the oppo more dead ball attacks at our goal.

@milo are you really sure we have only conceded one goal from a free kick all season? I must admit I tend to block out the oppo's goals!!!

I can't remember any....

The point is.

I gave a link to where I got the stat from.

If we are not conceding goals from set pieces and we have given opponents the least number of goal scoring opportunities of any club in the league this season, it is hard to see how your argument stacks up.

Wouldn't it be just as (if not more) valid to say that we would give opponents more chances to score if we did not close down so hard and break up the oppositions' play?

I gave a link to where I got the stat from.

If we are not conceding goals from set pieces and we have given opponents the least number of goal scoring opportunities of any club in the league this season, it is hard to see how your argument stacks up.

Wouldn't it be just as (if not more) valid to say that we would give opponents more chances to score if we did not close down so hard and break up the oppositions' play?

Yes I agree. I just don't like the thought of giving away reckless and needless fouls in our own half that put us under unnecessary pressure. The stats you produce are surprising to me but I accept that they are a powerful argument to the contrary nevertheless.

It is really puzzling why Lamela is much more confident to score in Europe than in the league. For all his work rate and skills, he is not doing himself any favour with his lack of goals in the league. Maybe he can turn himself into a reliable defensive midfielder some day.
I think the problem with Lamela is he's not relaxed enough. We paid £30m for him and it's the PL where he has to prove himself, so he feels added pressure and things aren't coming off for him in league games. The EL had never been taken too seriously, hence less pressure and he's more relaxed.

In my opinion, anyways...

It is really puzzling why Lamela is much more confident to score in Europe than in the league. For all his work rate and skills, he is not doing himself any favour with his lack of goals in the league. Maybe he can turn himself into a reliable defensive midfielder some day.

He's scored goals against some pony teams we've played in the EL and against some second string sides the better teams have out out, I feel he doesn't have his best games against the top teams, he gets worried out of them. I don't know if he's reached his ceiling with us.

He's scored goals against some pony teams we've played in the EL and against some second string sides the better teams have out out, I feel he doesn't have his best games against the top teams, he gets worried out of them. I don't know if he's reached his ceiling with us.

That is not true. Lamela was our best player against Arsenal and Emirates Marketing Project. He even scored a good individual goal against ManCity. And he scored a hattrick against a good Monaco team in EL. Don't think anyone can question his workrate or form against big teams. His only problem is lack of goals in the league.

A year ago, what would you, at that time, consider his ceiling to be? I´m quite certain that his current level is far above that ceiling.

A year ago his ceiling was probably to mimic his performance vs Sherrif against a good premier league side..

Now I think his ceiling is far higher, the hard work + skill (when the time is right), if it all comes together will be something special. He see's the game differently to a lot of other players, it will be great when his physical game becomes second nature and he develops on his decision making. Under Poch he's found the foundations, now he can just keep on growing, the talent is there!

Back