• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Interesting debate Chaps and Chapesses. I read Martin Keown making the following points:

Spurs pressing has seen them commit 300 fouls ( second only to Man U who have committed 302 fouls).

186 have been in the opposition half.

Lamela has 44, second highest in the League.

In my view, a lot of those are reckless and needless. Dead balls against us have regularly caused us problems. We give away to many IMO. It is fine margins but Lamela is too often the needlessly guilty party.

Interesting debate Chaps and Chapesses. I read Martin Keown making the following points:

Spurs pressing has seen them commit 300 fouls ( second only to Man U who have committed 302 fouls).

In my view, a lot of those are reckless and needless. Dead balls against us have regularly caused us problems. We give away to many IMO. It is fine margins but Lamela is too often the needlessly guilty party.
I know,just imagine where we'd be in the Lge if we changed that.
Talk about over analysing

Not from inside the opposition's half they haven't!

Was Keown's point was that most of them were in the opposition half where it didn't hurt us that much? You are right Lamela does give away a lot of fouls but it certainly does break up the flow of the opposition play quite often, so not all bad.

Was Keown's point was that most of them were in the opposition half where it didn't hurt us that much? You are right Lamela does give away a lot of fouls but it does certainly break up the flow of the opposition play quite often, so not all bad.

His point was exactly that

Lamella is guilty of silly fouls but who also does professional fouls sometimes which I accept and like

Keowns point was about the teams that excel defend well and to defend you need to tackle (my perception anyway)

A key for me is we have least shots against, most on target for, least amount of goals conceded and I think we're now the furthest runners

We're excelling at the best most critical stats which isn't luck

Was Keown's point was that most of them were in the opposition half where it didn't hurt us that much? You are right Lamela does give away a lot of fouls but it certainly does break up the flow of the opposition play quite often, so not all bad.

Agreed, I like that about Lamela's game. It's something we've needed to do for a long time. I'm just suprised it has been Lamela doing it. Wouldn't have thought last season nor the one before that we'd see this from him and I always thought if he did come good it would be for his attacking qualities and not deffensive ones.

Eventually he probably will get a red for it but I hope people don't forget about what a help it has been for us.I really do think we would have beaten Arsenal had Lamela not been taken off.

Is this the article you are referring to?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...tml?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

If so, it seems a funny conclusion to draw. This seems to be the crux of the point he is making

It’s interesting that Spurs have committed the second-most fouls in the league and that most of them happen in the opposition half.

It shows their hunger to win the ball back in dangerous areas but tactically it allows them to reset their shape before the opposition can attack.

Which is the opposite of what you are saying.

I think it is time Lamela uses rabona kicks more in his matches. Was left down badly with the way he kicked wildly with his right foot against Watford. Even my 12-year nephew felt Lamela should have taken the rabona kick with his left leg on that occasion. I agree with him. Lamela doesn't seems to be confident with his right foot. So he might as well use the rabona with his left foot more.

Some of those fouls in the opponents half may be needless. But they stem from an overall aggression, pressing and willingness to put in tough tackles that also gives us quite a few turnovers in brilliant positions. The kind of turnover one would happily accept 3 fouls in the opponent half to get one of. These tackles are often low risk, high reward. And even when they end up as a foul they break up play and let us get organized.

Against City in particular that kind of aggression in their half can be vital.

I suppose I shouldn't be shocked that Lamela is singled out in a negative way for something positive he contributes though...

Some of those fouls in the opponents half may be needless. But they stem from an overall aggression, pressing and willingness to put in tough tackles that also gives us quite a few turnovers in brilliant positions. The kind of turnover one would happily accept 3 fouls in the opponent half to get one of. These tackles are often low risk, high reward. And even when they end up as a foul they break up play and let us get organized.

Against City in particular that kind of aggression in their half can be vital.

I suppose I shouldn't be shocked that Lamela is singled out in a negative way for something positive he contributes though...

I wouldn't call them tough tackles but at least he is there trying to make them. He make a hell of a lot though for an attacking player and he has 100% proven his worth this season

I agree massively with him breaking up play an the importance of that. Nothing wrong with a professional foul in the right place

Lamela cannot finish, whenever he gets a sight of goal, he gets stage fright. Son all day for me. With very limited chances in the side he has been far more composed in front of goal and his pressing is as good, if not better. He doesn't concede many stupid fouls.

Lamela cannot finish, whenever he gets a sight of goal, he gets stage fright. Son all day for me. With very limited chances in the side he has been far more composed in front of goal and his pressing is as good, if not better. He doesn't concede many stupid fouls.
But how is his Rabona?

Is this the article you are referring to?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...tml?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

If so, it seems a funny conclusion to draw. This seems to be the crux of the point he is making

Which is the opposite of what you are saying.

Pressing in the opponents half is all fine and good. However, if 186 out of 300 of all fouls are in the opponents half it follows that 114 are in our half. Lamella has committed 44 fouls in total. My point is that I suspect many (and indeed I can certainly remember quite a few) of these unfortunately have been committed in our half and have been reckless and needless. That is the area he needs to address IMO.

Son also gets through a lot of work in closing down the opposition but doesn't give away the needless and reckless fouls that Lamela does. If he were more aggressive in the oppositions half then that would be great but I don't want to see reckless fouls in our half - especially around our box. Lamella has the unfortunate propensity to do that.

Pressing in the opponents half is all fine and good. However, if 186 out of 300 of all fouls are in the opponents half it follows that 114 are in our half. Lamella has committed 44 fouls in total. My point is that I suspect many (and indeed I can certainly remember quite a few) of these unfortunately have been committed in our half and have been reckless and needless. That is the area he needs to address IMO.

Son also gets through a lot of work in closing down the opposition but doesn't give away the needless and reckless fouls that Lamela does. If he were more aggressive in the oppositions half then that would be great but I don't want to see reckless fouls in our half - especially around our box. Lamella has the unfortunate propensity to do that.

A high number of tackles and fouls has been a feature of all of Poch's teams, so I think that it is safe to assume that it is something he is looking for from his players.

With regards to whether fouls in our own half have cost us, we've only conceded one goal in the league as a result of a free kick all season, so I think it is a risk that we can live with.

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/...90116-talking-tactics-set-piece-specials.html

I think it is something we have consistently been unable to do for years, and finally, finally, we're getting smart.

A high number of tackles and fouls has been a feature of all of Poch's teams, so I think that it is safe to assume that it is something he is looking for from his players.

With regards to whether fouls in our own half have cost us, we've only conceded one goal in the league as a result of a free kick all season, so I think it is a risk that we can live with.

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/...90116-talking-tactics-set-piece-specials.html

Music to Chadli's ears:eek:

I know this is ridiculously late but have just checked who won the Ballon D'or as I somehow missed it and went in assuming lamella had won the Puskas award only to find that it wasn't even nominated?! Why on earth not?

Only reason I can think for that happening is it was too late too be nominated for 2014 but to early to be remembered for 2015.

I think it is time Lamela uses rabona kicks more in his matches. Was left down badly with the way he kicked wildly with his right foot against Watford. Even my 12-year nephew felt Lamela should have taken the rabona kick with his left leg on that occasion. I agree with him. Lamela doesn't seems to be confident with his right foot. So he might as well use the rabona with his left foot more.

His right foot is fine

Back