• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Game of thrones thread

I don't think I'm giving too much of a spoiler away when I say that focus is going to be less on King's Landing now. Less political posturing, less intrigue and more silly fantasy nonsense is what's in line if he stays true to his books. Hopefully he's listened to the complaints about the fragmented story lines, lack of character development, etc and will alter the series to suit - I doubt it though.

I'm very similar to you, what I loved about what we've had so far is the Machiavellian nature of it all. Some of the characters are fairly deep and complex for a fantasy novel and, of course, boobs. The fantasy side of things really bother me and it's certainly leaning that way.

Another slight spoiler:

That ****ty Brandon storyline is about to get a whole lot more ridiculous (and boring).

There's a lot of King's Landing stuff to come with the fallout from the old man's death. How quickly the tv show gets to it remains to be seen.

Dorne will of course feature heavily next season, but that's mostly introduction of characters and a bit of politics.

The wall will be all politics for a while.

There's a lot of King's Landing stuff to come with the fallout from the old man's death. How quickly the tv show gets to it remains to be seen.

Dorne will of course feature heavily next season, but that's mostly introduction of characters and a bit of politics.

The wall will be all politics for a while.

Ah, yes - I forgot there was more to come on the wall. The messed up timeline from the books has screwed me a bit there. Still, I don't think any of what's to come really compares with what's been, and it's certainly trending more towards fantasy than action.

I didn't mind it when it was just a couple of dragons - that's not a problem for me, it's all the stuff in the North that I don't like/enjoy.

I haven't read the books, no, and have avoided checking to see what happens. It's just my feeling that there's a bit too many strands going on and it's starting to lack a central focus.

Like DHSF said, it's the human story that attracted me to the show, and dragons aside (because they used to exist before St George killed them) the magical/fantasy stuff leaves me a bit cold. Random Giant people suddenly appearing, The Lord of Light business, now the "Children", random people like Mckenzie Crook who see through a bird's eyes, the White Walkers who appeared to be a major part of the show then disappeared.

It's obviously based on different periods of English History, like the period of seven Anglo-Saxon kingdoms that united into England, the Wars of the Roses, and the wall is obviously based on Hadrian's wall. The best part of it is the power politics.

Agreed, good post.

I'm also not that big a fan of the fantasy stuff and prefer the historically inspired storylines plus political intrigue, reminded me of the HBO-BBC series Rome which was sadly cancelled in its prime. Oh well, I've heard good things about Vikings so will get stuck into that now.

Agreed, good post.

I'm also not that big a fan of the fantasy stuff and prefer the historically inspired storylines plus political intrigue, reminded me of the HBO-BBC series Rome which was sadly cancelled in its prime. Oh well, I've heard good things about Vikings so will get stuck into that now.

Have watched the first two series of Vikings and it is good, but going the same way as GOT, in that there seems to be a bit of writer's block going on, story line getting bogged down and all a bit predictable. Walking Dead is the series that has got me hooked, parable that is very apt. We are all surrounded by zombies and their numbers are growing.

a44O0OA_460sa_v1.gif

Actor JJ Murphy has died just four days into filming his scenes for the new season of HBO’s fantasy epic Game of Thrones.

The Belfast-born actor, who was 86, was cast to play the role of Ser Denys Mallister, the oldest member of the Night’s Watch, in the fifth season of the adaptation of George RR Martin’s Song of Ice and Fire series. He reportedly collapsed and died on Friday, 8 August, having shot only a few scenes in the role.

According to his agent Phillip Young, Murphy was “absolutely delighted”, to be cast “in one of the biggest productions in the world at this stage in his career.”

Having been working in the Northern Irish theatre scene from the late 1940s, Murphy was an active member of Equity, the British actors’ union, and had worked for years at Belfast’s Lyric Theatre. His death, says Young, is a “tragic loss” and comes at the end of a “long and full career”.

Murphy was no stranger to book adaptations; his past film credits include the film version of Frank McCourt’s Angela’s Ashes. Gary Shore’s big budget film Dracula Untold, which will be released in October of this year, features Murphy as a village elder.

Game of Thrones producers are yet to confirm whether they intend to recast his part, or order a rewrite of the scenes he had been set to film.

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2014/aug/11/game-of-thrones-actor-jj-murphy-dies-four-days-into-filming

Never watched this show and coming back from London today I sat down with my copy of the standard, total wall to wall advert for a fcuking t.v. show. Dont know why people watch Harry Potter and game of throws thing, I mean each to their own cos I love watching cycling. But your all macarons who ruined my train journey home.

good start, a little too much exposition but they have to cater to everyone I guess

didnt Gilly's baby grow up quick, compared to Lyanna Mormont for example?

Never watched this show and coming back from London today I sat down with my copy of the standard, total wall to wall advert for a fcuking t.v. show. Dont know why people watch Harry Potter and game of throws thing, I mean each to their own cos I love watching cycling. But your all macarons who ruined my train journey home.
You're right, it is teenage claptrap for people that should know better.

I absolutely love the GoT world, and seasons 1-4 were great. But from S5 onwards I do think the show has gone downhill, and doesn't deserve the critical acclaim that it gets.

There are so many different and disconnected characters / locations, that they don't get enough attention - in every episode each story gets about 5 minutes. I just find it not enough for good character and plot development, and quite an annoying viewing experience when watching one a week.

And so many of the best characters have died, that we're left with quite a lot of mediocre characters / actors.

I still love the show overall, and am looking forward to things coming together this season. But I find it increasingly weird that the vast majority don't seem to see the same flaws that I do.

S7E1, for example, was just not a good episode of TV in my view, viewed as a standalone thing on its own merit. Ed fudging Sheehan for fudges sake.

I absolutely love the GoT world, and seasons 1-4 were great. But from S5 onwards I do think the show has gone downhill, and doesn't deserve the critical acclaim that it gets.

There are so many different and disconnected characters / locations, that they don't get enough attention - in every episode each story gets about 5 minutes. I just find it not enough for good character and plot development, and quite an annoying viewing experience when watching one a week.

And so many of the best characters have died, that we're left with quite a lot of mediocre characters / actors.

I still love the show overall, and am looking forward to things coming together this season. But I find it increasingly weird that the vast majority don't seem to see the same flaws that I do.

S7E1, for example, was just not a good episode of TV in my view, viewed as a standalone thing on its own merit. Ed fudging Sheehan for fudges sake.

I see your point, but it's not a standalone thing on it's own merit, its a small part of a bigger whole

yeah it was a pointless cameo, but they have done that 3/4 times before right? pretty sure coldplay were in an earlier season

The books are the same.

The first few are slower and take their time building up characters in the proper way. After that, they flit around a load of different characters - some of which are just disposed of without having any real value in the grand scheme of things.

I've come to the conclusion over the last few books that he's actually not much of a writer at all, he just has one very good story he doesn't know how to fill/end.

The books are the same.

The first few are slower and take their time building up characters in the proper way. After that, they flit around a load of different characters - some of which are just disposed of without having any real value in the grand scheme of things.

I've come to the conclusion over the last few books that he's actually not much of a writer at all, he just has one very good story he doesn't know how to fill/end.

The books get bigger and bigger, yet there's hardly anything going on.

I see your point, but it's not a standalone thing on it's own merit, its a small part of a bigger whole

yeah it was a pointless cameo, but they have done that 3/4 times before right? pretty sure coldplay were in an earlier season

Yeah but when you only see one episode a week, I think each episode does need to stand alone.

In fairness I think the show is made for binging, but I just can't resist watching each one of S7 as it's released!

The books are the same.

you read any of the first law books - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_First_Law

think they are well worth a look if you are into this sort of stuff and unlike most Fantasy he has finished it - you could stop at 3 if you want and be done.

Back