• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Euro 2016 Qualifying

I don't know. As stupid as that was, I kind of feel sorry for him. Getting the wrath of a nation for something like that. He didn't concede the goal.

On another note - how did Kane play today?
I don't think he got a shot off. But then again, neither did anyone else. Estonia packed it pretty tight at the back. Other than that, I would say he had a so so performance. Alli came in in the final 3 minutes and almost created an assist out of nothing. That kid is the best buy we have made in a long time.

Well done to Wales, Northern Ireland and Iceland for qualifying to their first ever Euro tournament. I think teams like Wales and Northern Ireland have really made the most of Euro being expanded to 24 teams which meant there were too many weak qualifying groups for too many places. The fact the top 2 get automatic qualification and the 3rd place go into play-offs meant it was almost impossible for any decent team not to qualify. Netherlands will have only themselves to blame if they finish 4th as they let teams like Iceland and Turkey finish above them.

I think it will be a real disgrace for European football and UEFA if Albania qualifies to Euro 2016. They are playing Armenia in their last match and will overtake Denmark in 2nd place if they win. But the only reason Albania will finish 2nd is UEFA awarded them a 3-0 win over Serbia after they started the riot in Serbia by flying their politically-sensitive flag. There is no logic whatsover in that decision. Serbia should have been awarded the 3-0 win instead as it was Albania who started the riot. It is as if UEFA are encouraging teams to start riots at their opponents place if they want a win ! Albania have only won 2 matches on merit, one against Armenia and the other one against Portugal who always start poorly in any qualifications. Denmark have every right to sue UEFA if they fail to qualify.

I think Euro 2016 might suffer from lack of quality as far too many minnows will be playing in it.

Well done to Wales, Northern Ireland and Iceland for qualifying to their first ever Euro tournament. I think teams like Wales and Northern Ireland have really made the most of Euro being expanded to 24 teams which meant there were too many weak qualifying groups for too many places. The fact the top 2 get automatic qualification and the 3rd place go into play-offs meant it was almost impossible for any decent team not to qualify. Netherlands will have only themselves to blame if they finish 4th as they let teams like Iceland and Turkey finish above them.

I think it will be a real disgrace for European football and UEFA if Albania qualifies to Euro 2016. They are playing Armenia in their last match and will overtake Denmark in 2nd place if they win. But the only reason Albania will finish 2nd is UEFA awarded them a 3-0 win over Serbia after they started the riot in Serbia by flying their politically-sensitive flag. There is no logic whatsover in that decision. Serbia should have been awarded the 3-0 win instead as it was Albania who started the riot. It is as if UEFA are encouraging teams to start riots at their opponents place if they want a win ! Albania have only won 2 matches on merit, one against Armenia and the other one against Portugal who always start poorly in any qualifications. Denmark have every right to sue UEFA if they fail to qualify.

I think Euro 2016 might suffer from lack of quality as far too many minnows will be playing in it.

You do realise they went through a qualification process right?

UEFA did not award the victory to Albania, the Court of Arbitration in Sport overturned the original decision by UEFA to award the win to Serbia because "...the match stoppage and the eventual abandonment of the match were caused by security lapses of the organisers and acts of violence exerted on the Albanian players by the Serbian fans and at least one security steward"

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jul/10/albania-serbia-match-abandoned-drone

Are all the groups settled now?

Norway (!) have a theoretical possibility of a second place finish if they snatch a very unlikely away win against already qualified Italy on Tuesday. That will push Croatia down to third. Norway will also get second place if Croatia fails to beat Malta away, regardless of how they do in Rome.

Ukraine and Slovakia are tied on points in group C, with Spain already group winner.

Russia (17p) and Sweden (15p) are still in contention for second place in group G.

The other groups are settled.

UEFA did not award the victory to Albania, the Court of Arbitration in Sport overturned the original decision by UEFA to award the win to Serbia because "...the match stoppage and the eventual abandonment of the match were caused by security lapses of the organisers and acts of violence exerted on the Albanian players by the Serbian fans and at least one security steward"

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jul/10/albania-serbia-match-abandoned-drone

Ofcourse the Western courts will always favour the pro-West Albania than pro-Russia Serbia. The facts are clear : the brother of the Albanian PM smuggles a drone into the stadium, then flies the drone with the illegal Albanian flag attached over the stadium. The match was stopped and a Serbian player pulls down the flag but an Albanian player tried to grab the flag from the Serbian player. It started the fight between the players and crowd. It was clear the Albanians came well prepared to provoke the Serbian players and crowd. It was the only way they were going to get something from the game as Serbia was too strong for them. Albania did lose 0-2 at home to Serbia. So, there is no logic in awarding the game to Albania. Just like the expulsion of Yugoslavia from the Euro92, it was a political decision than a football one. And it not only affects Serbia, it affects Denmark as well. Just imagine Eriksen, who is one of the best free kick takers in Europe might not go to Euro due to political decision.

Ofcourse the Western courts will always favour the pro-West Albania than pro-Russia Serbia. The facts are clear : the brother of the Albanian PM smuggles a drone into the stadium, then flies the drone with the illegal Albanian flag attached over the stadium. The match was stopped and a Serbian player pulls down the flag but an Albanian player tried to grab the flag from the Serbian player. It started the fight between the players and crowd. It was clear the Albanians came well prepared to provoke the Serbian players and crowd. It was the only way they were going to get something from the game as Serbia was too strong for them. Albania did lose 0-2 at home to Serbia. So, there is no logic in awarding the game to Albania. Just like the expulsion of Yugoslavia from the Euro92, it was a political decision than a football one. And it not only affects Serbia, it affects Denmark as well. Just imagine Eriksen, who is one of the best free kick takers in Europe might not go to Euro due to political decision.

Yesterday you did not know who made the decision. Today you know what motivated them.

Do you mind me asking whether you have spent much time in Europe? You seem very set in your views on it but it is not a Europe I recognise in the slightest.

I don't see what else the court could have done. Some Albanians did fly a drone and stadium security was unable to deal with it. There was no need for the Serbian players and coaches to get involved. If they had ignored the drone and let stadium security deal with it, the game would have been stopped briefly, and they would have gone on to win. Instead they started a riot.

Like a 5-a-side match on this 3G pitch. A few loose 1st touches, fingers crossed no one gets a bad injury.

Prediction: Boring game. Townsend to come of the bench and score a worldie.

The Norwegian captain has a very odd sock thing going on.

That's the most interesting thing from the first 20 minutes.

And we haven't conceded in four matches. Maybe this actually can get interesting. Not a very deserved lead though.

Iceland have parked the bus and the Czech's are surprising the Dutch...

Tonight we may hear Turkish or Hungarian car horns.

What's happening to Holland? They're really brick these days, aren't they. Imagine if they end up fourth in that group, would've been great odds that.

If the current results stand, the group winners in the qualifiers will include Czech Republic, Northern Ireland, Austria and Norway, with countries like Iceland, Wales, Slovakia, Poland and Albania also qualified for the Euros.

I have to admit, I kinda like it. Good with a bit of variation in the participating teams, although I'm also unsure whether a Northern Ireland - Albania group stage game will tempt me to turn on the TV...

Back