• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Etienne Capoue

It makes sense to me to let him go if we can get our money back on him. We have too many central midfielders, Dembele, Paulinho, Bentaleb, Sandro. This alone is enough. Eriksen can be added to that as well and possibly Carroll may come back.

Players of the quality of Holtby and Capoue not getting games is a recipe for discontent in the squad. Neither have shown enough while others have so it makes sense for all parties to move them on.

We don't need him. I can't think of any other side with two out and out midfield destroyers in their squad. The day of the limited one dimensional midfielder is gone.
Add that he being one of the signings AVB wanted, he probably was never a favourite of baldini or levy.

We don't need him. I can't think of any other side with two out and out midfield destroyers in their squad. The day of the limited one dimensional midfielder is gone.
Add that he being one of the signings AVB wanted, he probably was never a favourite of baldini or levy.

an out and out midfield destroyer its necessarily by choice, its a skills set limitation. if an out and out destroyer could pass with range then he gets utilised as a playmaker...and so on and so forth

Sandro therefore is an out and out destroyer...capoue potentially is a little bit more but primarily BOTH are defensive mids whose primary duty is to protect the back....now most teams have 2 players that are capable of doing that....the teams that dont have two...have enough technical guys to make the need for two DMs null and void

we dont have enough of said technical guy....

therefore......ipso facto shmactastico radcalo.....we need two DMs in case one goes down

we need two DMs in case one goes down

I agree. The point about players who play in this combative role is that they pick up injuries and suspensions.
Just having Sandro leaves us light in my view, especially with the UEFA Cup starting again.
I think Sandro and Capoue cover one position and Dembele and Paulinho another.
If we sell Capoue and then Sandro picks up an injury, i dont think either Dembele or Paulinho have the necessary skills to taks Sandro's place.

Without wishing to be the merchant of doom, i suspect that if we finish outside the top 4 this season, Sandro will be off in the summer anyway, in which case Capoue will be promoted to first choice DM.

I agree. The point about players who play in this combative role is that they pick up injuries and suspensions.
Just having Sandro leaves us light in my view, especially with the UEFA Cup starting again.
I think Sandro and Capoue cover one position and Dembele and Paulinho another.
If we sell Capoue and then Sandro picks up an injury, i dont think either Dembele or Paulinho have the necessary skills to taks Sandro's place.

Without wishing to be the merchant of doom, i suspect that if we finish outside the top 4 this season, Sandro will be off in the summer anyway, in which case Capoue will be promoted to first choice DM.

Sense.

Seeing it all from block 29.

Comparing Livermore to Capoue!? Oh my ****ing days, what have we come to..

The question was posed in terms of Sherwood having shown signs of preferring youth players he has worked with.

I have no idea how they compare, to be honest. I was impressed with Capoue's early performances; less so with his recent ones.

I've only seen MotD highlights of Livermore at Hull but he seems to have improved somewhat from a "tremendous athlete" type to a more rounded player.

We're the new Aston Villa.

How to sell reduction.

Get off your "Hate Sherwood at all costs bike", under him we've won 4 and drawn one in the EPL, that's not exactly Villa form.

I agree comparing Livermore to Capoue is a stretch but give Sherwood some credit for knowing the players he has in his squad a little better than you do.

Get off your "Hate Sherwood at all costs bike", under him we've won 4 and drawn one in the EPL, that's not exactly Villa form.

I agree comparing Livermore to Capoue is a stretch but give Sherwood some credit for knowing the players he has in his squad a little better than you do.

I don't know how well Gutter Boy knows our squad, but it appears that Timmeh knows parts of it less well than most people who own a Sky Sports subscription.

Timmeh said:
I don't know Capoue as much as I know Bentaleb

Timmeh said:
I never knew he possessed that, I have to be honest

To be fair scara - the last quote was about paulinho, who had just had an outstanding performance and did things that none of us had seen him do during matches in the early part of the season.

But i agree it's a strange thing to say for any Manager, even if it was tongue-firmly-in-cheek.

It's a difficult line to tread for any manager - on the one hand he shouldn't have to justify his team selections as at the end of the day he's now the manager and he picks who he feels can do a job for him. On the other hand you have the fans on numerous boards and call-in shows berating his selections when we think he has better options available to him in an experienced player like Capoue compared to the relatively less well-known youth player Bentaleb.

Personally the Capoue comment, however honest TS was being, smacks of poor man management, and I can only imagine Capoue's view of TS changed quite a bit after that public comment.

The worrying thing at the moment is that TS clearly has a preferred way to play (if not the fact that he is not wedded to any particular formation, but perfers playing with two up front) and the current squad of players he has available to him was built in mind with another midfield-heavy formation in mind and just the one up top, hence the ridiculous numbers of players who could play in mid and the lack of proper options up front.

Given TS's preferences opportunities are going to be hard to come by for quite a few players, in what is a world cup year, so it's no surprise a few players noses are out of joint. But and this is the crucial bit, TS has been given the job of managing this team as best he sees fit, to get the best results for the team overall, and he is getting us playing a certain way. I don't for a minute think that Levy said to him his job was to get the best out of all the players at his disposal.

What i'm pretty hopeful of is that Levy has the nous not to make wholesale changes to the current squad if he is going to bring in another manager post-world cup and if you believe the press it'll be LVG, who may very well have a different view of the players in the current squad and may set the team out in an entirely different way than TS. that's not TS's concern but it should be Levy / Baldini's concerns.

To be fair scara - the last quote was about paulinho, who had just had an outstanding performance and did things that none of us had seen him do during matches in the early part of the season.

That quote was a subtle dig at AVB, nothing more, nothing less.

Those claiming it was Sherwood displaying lack of knowledge of the squad have missed the point.

That quote was a subtle dig at AVB, nothing more, nothing less.

Those claiming it was Sherwood displaying lack of knowledge of the squad have missed the point.

If he's having a dig at AVB then he's a cvnt. Our manager should hold himself to a better standard than that - especially in public.

If, as I suspect, he's telling the truth then he should have known - I don't watch a lot of football and I knew it.

But i agree it's a strange thing to say for any Manager, even if it was tongue-firmly-in-cheek.

It's a difficult line to tread for any manager - on the one hand he shouldn't have to justify his team selections as at the end of the day he's now the manager and he picks who he feels can do a job for him. On the other hand you have the fans on numerous boards and call-in shows berating his selections when we think he has better options available to him in an experienced player like Capoue compared to the relatively less well-known youth player Bentaleb.

Personally the Capoue comment, however honest TS was being, smacks of poor man management, and I can only imagine Capoue's view of TS changed quite a bit after that public comment.

The worrying thing at the moment is that TS clearly has a preferred way to play (if not the fact that he is not wedded to any particular formation, but perfers playing with two up front) and the current squad of players he has available to him was built in mind with another midfield-heavy formation in mind and just the one up top, hence the ridiculous numbers of players who could play in mid and the lack of proper options up front.

Given TS's preferences opportunities are going to be hard to come by for quite a few players, in what is a world cup year, so it's no surprise a few players noses are out of joint. But and this is the crucial bit, TS has been given the job of managing this team as best he sees fit, to get the best results for the team overall, and he is getting us playing a certain way. I don't for a minute think that Levy said to him his job was to get the best out of all the players at his disposal.

What i'm pretty hopeful of is that Levy has the nous not to make wholesale changes to the current squad if he is going to bring in another manager post-world cup and if you believe the press it'll be LVG, who may very well have a different view of the players in the current squad and may set the team out in an entirely different way than TS. that's not TS's concern but it should be Levy / Baldini's concerns.

I agree with all of that - except the first bit. It's not like Paulinho was playing for some Sunday League (or equivalent) side in the **** end of Kurdistan, he was a Spurs player and a Brazilian international. If someone employed at the top end of the football chain doesn't know what someone like him can do (especially in his own club) then that shows a lack of either interest or knowledge - both are worrying.

If he's having a dig at AVB then he's a cvnt. Our manager should hold himself to a better standard than that - especially in public.

If, as I suspect, he's telling the truth then he should have known - I don't watch a lot of football and I knew it.

No, you were right when you said he's probably a c**t. There's plenty of evidence to back up that theory.

Being a c**t, however, doesn't mean that he won't turn out to be a good manager - it's a zero correlation thing.

I don't think it was a dig at AVB, I think that is Sherwood making a humourous comment to the media. Of course he knew Paulie can do that. How many times to we see a coach/player comment on what another individual does on the training pitch?

Anyway, I would be sad to see Capoue go, I think he has massive potential and as was posted earlier, we need cover for Sandro, this is one of the areas where we suffered last season when the Beast got injured. I do believe that Sandro would be poached were we not to secure Champs League so Capoue would then become no. 1 in that position. I do feel that 5 months is too short for our new additions to prove themselves though and they should all stay, at least until the summer.

Anyway, I would be sad to see Capoue go, I think he has massive potential and as was posted earlier, we need cover for Sandro, this is one of the areas where we suffered last season when the Beast got injured. I do believe that Sandro would be poached were we not to secure Champs League so Capoue would then become no. 1 in that position. I do feel that 5 months is too short for our new additions to prove themselves though and they should all stay, at least until the summer.

Damn right.

No doubt we'll sell Capoue and he'll spend the rest of the season putting on world-class performances for his new team; then Sandro will be poached this summer and we'll be looking for another defensive midfielder who will need another 6 months to "settle". Bloody Tottenham!

Back