• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Etienne Capoue

Hang on, is this about playing them both at the same time, or having squad depth?! I don't think we should ever play Capoue and sandro together, but I do feel, and the last few matches have proven, that a more DM is really needed to protect the defence. Sandro is injured, so for me Capoue should play against better opposition. Without Capoue it leaves us relying on Sandro...

In principal it is great to have a big squad. In reality we see most players unhappy to play the role of understudy. My question is can we have cover by using 2 different types of defensive midfielder.

We need cover for injuries.
Capoue and Holtby are settled at Spurs.
We don't need a few million, it makes no difference to us fans unless we are going to spend it on a new forward or left back and that is the only way of funding it.

100% agree.

I think we're getting rid of Holtby and Capoue to make space for Carroll in the squad. I think it's very silly letting Capoue go...Holtby i'm not as bothered about.

I think we're getting rid of Holtby and Capoue to make space for Carroll in the squad. I think it's very silly letting Capoue go...Holtby i'm not as bothered about.

We're getting rid of our 2nd DM, plus another who can harry and play a pressing game for Carroll??
Is this madness?

Depends on how Sherwood is thinking.

If he prefers a Dembele - Bentaleb partnership to playing Capoue even when Sandro and Paulinho are out injured then he obviously sees either Dembele or Bentaleb as the "defensive midfielder" option (assuming a defensive midfielder is always needed). If so there won't be much playing time for Capoue this season and letting him go might be a decent plan.

Personally I rate Capoue based on what he's shown so far and I think he will get better next season with a proper pre-season and time to adjust. If he gets games that is. If he's 5th choice at best for a two man midfield there's a very good chance he'll stagnate.

I mentioned in the transfer forum several times that I wanted a playmaker brought in, now it seems Bentaleb is that player for us. I was asked in the transfer forum if I would be willing to see one of our then "4 big" central midfielders let go to make room in the squad and I answered yes I think. I still think so. Seems to me quite likely that Sherwood wants to move towards better passers in central midfield, and the Sandro, Dembele, Paulinho, Capoue options aren't up to scratch in terms of passing imo. And although all 4 are somewhere between good and excellent overall some tough decisions might have to be made to give us a better balance in terms of ability in our squad and on the pitch.

What's madness is you talking like we've got rid of two players when nothing has happened....

No I'm talking like we are intending to get rid of these two players. Every rumour coming out of the club plus TS's comments, let alone the fact that these two players aren't getting a game suggests that this is a strong possibility.

Not madness at all to ask about the implications

Depends on how Sherwood is thinking.

If he prefers a Dembele - Bentaleb partnership to playing Capoue even when Sandro and Paulinho are out injured then he obviously sees either Dembele or Bentaleb as the "defensive midfielder" option (assuming a defensive midfielder is always needed). If so there won't be much playing time for Capoue this season and letting him go might be a decent plan.

Personally I rate Capoue based on what he's shown so far and I think he will get better next season with a proper pre-season and time to adjust. If he gets games that is. If he's 5th choice at best for a two man midfield there's a very good chance he'll stagnate.

I mentioned in the transfer forum several times that I wanted a playmaker brought in, now it seems Bentaleb is that player for us. I was asked in the transfer forum if I would be willing to see one of our then "4 big" central midfielders let go to make room in the squad and I answered yes I think. I still think so. Seems to me quite likely that Sherwood wants to move towards better passers in central midfield, and the Sandro, Dembele, Paulinho, Capoue options aren't up to scratch in terms of passing imo. And although all 4 are somewhere between good and excellent overall some tough decisions might have to be made to give us a better balance in terms of ability in our squad and on the pitch.

I agree 100%

No I'm talking like we are intending to get rid of these two players. Every rumour coming out of the club plus TS's comments, let alone the fact that these two players aren't getting a game suggests that this is a strong possibility.

Not madness at all to ask about the implications

What were Sherwood's comments? I must of missed that. A few rumours yes, but they are just that and always happen at this time. Wouldn't be surprised to see Capoue go and Holtby go on loan, but even if this happens then need to see who comes in by the time the window shuts. If Capoue and Holtby go and Carroll is the only incoming I would find that questionable. But so many on here always go on a rant everytime there's a bit of speculation and nine times out of ten it doesn't happen anyway....

Given Bentaleb's recent performances, does anyone else think it possible that when everyone is fit we may well see Paulinho with him?? I know a lot of people are saying Sandro and Paulinho are our first choice, but the more I think about it, the more likely it seem that we will be keeping one passer next to one box to box player.

With what Sherwood mentioned in his press conference with regards to players and the world cup. Do you think Capoue will want to hang around when he knows he's 5th choice?

I think he's happy to and we're happy to let him go at the right price.

It may well be a mistake to get rid of Capoue but then we have Dembele, Paulinho, Sandro, Capoue, Bentaleb. That's probably 1 more than we need and not even mentioning Carroll.

Its not sustainable. We have to trim it if we are now seeing Bentaleb as genuine competion for a starting place. And he probably warrants a squad place based on his excellent performances so far

Back