• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Eric Dier

Fair enough, Maguire and Dier are good footballers but just not who I'd opt for as cover for our system. I foresee a mess if there's any issues, it's likely it would have been the same with Sanchez around too. It wouldn't have hurt to have another decent CB around but maybe that's asking too much.

It's for a different thread but it's the same for the left side, Davies doesn't have the same kind of recovery pace as VDV and still hasn't played as a CB pairing in the PL, doing it for Wales or as a back 3 for Conte is different thing.

We have taken a risk, you can do the pros/cons, you could say Philips is a better backup (worse case he learns/gets experience even if he fudges up, vs. Dier/Sanchez/etc. who have had years for same results) or you could say not.

We will punt Dier at next window or end of year, another CB or two will have to come in.

We have taken a risk, you can do the pros/cons, you could say Philips is a better backup (worse case he learns/gets experience even if he fudges up, vs. Dier/Sanchez/etc. who have had years for same results) or you could say not.

We will punt Dier at next window or end of year, another CB or two will have to come in.

I think Ange would likely play Royal ahead of either Dier or Williams right now.

Maybe we luck out and have no cb injuries, maybe we don't.
However I wonder if the good start is blinding people to the fact that this a long term rebuild, it was never going to happen in one window.
IMHO we are way ahead of schedule both with the rebuild and how the squad have adapted to ange system.
Minimum injuries, a bit luck and steady progress from here and CL is very possible, at worst at the moment EL is likely, (granted some of that is because I don't think all the teams around us are anywhere as good as they're being portrayed) think we would all have been happy with where we are at the start of the window.
We've waiting five years to have our Tottenham back, let's not start worrying about stuff that might never happen and enjoy it.

Maybe we luck out and have no cb injuries, maybe we don't.
However I wonder if the good start is blinding people to the fact that this a long term rebuild, it was never going to happen in one window.
IMHO we are way ahead of schedule both with the rebuild and how the squad have adapted to ange system.
Minimum injuries, a bit luck and steady progress from here and CL is very possible, at worst at the moment EL is likely, (granted some of that is because I don't think all the teams around us are anywhere as good as they're being portrayed) think we would all have been happy with where we are at the start of the window.
We've waiting five years to have our Tottenham back, let's not start worrying about stuff that might never happen and enjoy it.

Mate, thats exactly where I am. I know people are worried about the depth and I absolutely get that, but a couple of months ago we were managerless and being tipped for a terrible season with a first team to be ashamed of, now we have a very highly functioning first team with whats turning out to be a large portion of very good young talent. I personally think from that reality, to be wanting to see new and improved depth on the bench is maybe an ask too far at the minute, I also don't think the depth is as bad as being sold based on where we were and everyone being pushed down the line.

I listen to Ange interviews with great intent, not least because I think he is worth listening to, in a big way. He seems to a laser focus and almost selfish nature on how he wants things, ultimately he will have to live and die by his decisions, but I would lay money that he has had the final calls on the departures and how the squad now looks, we will see how that pans

Last edited:
Mate, thats exactly where I am. I know people are worried about the depth and I absolutely get that, but a couple of months ago we were managerless and being tipped for a terrible season with a first team to be ashamed of, now we have a very highly functioning first team with whats turning out to be a large portion of very good young talent. I personally think from that reality, to be wanting to see new and improved depth on the bench is maybe an ask too far at the minute, I also don't think the depth is as bad as being sold based on where we were and everyone being pushed down the line.

I listen to Ange interviews with great intent, not least because I think he is worth listening to, in a big way. He seems to a laser focus and almost selfish nature on how he wants things, ultimately he will have to live and die by his decisions, but I would lay money that he has had the final calls on the departures and how the squad now looks, we will see how that pans

I fairness we're still being tipped for a terrible season.

Would be okay with Maguire as backup too. The lack of pace is a thing, but Dier isn't slower than Davies. With VDV next to him he can do a job.
Much quicker than Davies:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...-Sissoko-Premier-League-s-fastest-player.html

What is a terrible season though
All I want is progress

One of our issues imo has been that the fan base has never had a clear impression of what success is.
A trophy,
Top four,
Finishing above arsenal,
Progress,
Spending money.
Since AVB onwards I feel its gotten worse, even when we get what we want we say its not good enough because of something else.

Terrible season for me would be early exit from f a cup and no Europe qualification.
But if we're still playing the way we are I wouldn't be too disappointed.
Still think top CL place is there for the taking.

It means a lot more when you're playing a high line.
Beat me to it, he’s slow on acceleration as he is a big unit but once he gets going he is reasonable fast. Playing low block is very much fast feet and acceleration but playing higher gives time to hit those top speeds. That being said he has had a few injuries and a little older so may have lost a yard of pace, since those stats were done.

It means a lot more when you're playing a high line.
Beat me to it, he’s slow on acceleration as he is a big unit but once he gets going he is reasonable fast. Playing low block is very much fast feet and acceleration but playing higher gives time to hit those top speeds. That being said he has had a few injuries and a little older so may have lost a yard of pace, since those stats were done.
If his acceleration is slow (it is) his top speed won't matter as the relatively short distance means he won't catch the player before they get to a danger position. This has been seen many times.

For a high line you need to be a great reader of the play, have quick reactions and decent speed. Dier fails on all three.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

Back