• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Eric Dier

I would love Ange to come out and say something along the lines of “Dier has a decision to make” like Ten Hag said publicly about Maguire. Failing that, happy for him to be on the bench all season then he leaves when his contract expires.

A question for all the repeaters in here, the ones who have for weeks upon weeks popped up with a further ‘expression of their opinions’ on this player just in case we doubted their sincerity before…if he stays and ends up having a good season as a squad player, will you recognise it?

A question for all the repeaters in here, the ones who have for weeks upon weeks popped up with a further ‘expression of their opinions’ on this player just in case we doubted their sincerity before…if he stays and ends up having a good season as a squad player, will you recognise it?

Sure. I think most people acknowledged he was pretty good in Conte’s first season. I’ve seen enough of his body of work to come to the conclusion that he needs a fresh start and we need to say goodbye to him as he’s one of the last few players of an era that we need to close the book and move on from. I just don’t want him to have a promising few games and he fools everyone into thinking he’s turned a corner then his form dips again but retains his place in the side. Hopefully we will follow through and sign a couple of CB’s this summer which will reduce Dier’s playing time and will only be called upon in emergencies or for rotation.

I get the point Steff (and I don't get wound up re Dier, that much) but his best outcome is he has an "ok" season, we know what his ceiling is. He's also just another hangover of a time/team that didn't quite make it and has fallen off badly.

I would genuinely prefer we sold Dier and brought back Lenglet (lets say even outlay in/out/wages), not because I rate Lenglet but because at least he isn't the past, had an ok season himself (not quite the disaster class Dier did) and potentially has a better ceiling.

Someone (that he listens to) really needs to have a word with Dier, that stubbornness/self belief is how you make it in sports in the first place, but his time here is up, his game certainly doesn't suit a highline/possession based team that expects to play out back and pass around a press.

I get the point Steff (and I don't get wound up re Dier, that much) but his best outcome is he has an "ok" season, we know what his ceiling is. He's also just another hangover of a time/team that didn't quite make it and has fallen off badly.

I would genuinely prefer we sold Dier and brought back Lenglet (lets say even outlay in/out/wages), not because I rate Lenglet but because at least he isn't the past, had an ok season himself (not quite the disaster class Dier did) and potentially has a better ceiling.

Someone (that he listens to) really needs to have a word with Dier, that stubbornness/self belief is how you make it in sports in the first place, but his time here is up, his game certainly doesn't suit a highline/possession based team that expects to play out back and pass around a press.

Quite possibly, but there is also a difference between being a progressive team and a team that soaks up pressure. If we were playing as we were under Conte/Mou where defenders are expected to constantly be under the cosh and absorb all that pressure to enable a quick counter attack then Dier is not the player we need. It maybe, if we are 10 yards higher up the field and more on the front foot with defence being more instinctive that Dier fits in ok, so IF he wants to stay and fight for his place then he deserves that opportunity. If Ange thinks after pre-season he is not up to scratch and wants to sell then i am also ok with that too.

I think one of Dier's biggest problems has been lack of competition for his place.

Some people are naturally driven, like Kane. Others dont have that internal drive and need other things (competition, incentives etc) to bring it to them.

He's been able to coast and almost however badly he plays, he'd be in the team

I wouldnt give him a new deal and see how he gets on this season when not a first choice. Can always sign him up again next summer. He wont have bigger teams that us clamouring for his signature

If he plays well he'll deffo get the credit from me. I have no axe to grind with him, I just don't rate him as a CB.

Would love him to outperform his capabilities of course, I'm just not a glutton for punishment.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

Well i would be glad to see him stay, he is not as bad a player as some fans make out he is( IMO). I would rather he stay then Lenglet or Sanchez. Not saying he should be a starter but as a squad player he will be a assest. (IMO)

As long as he is not offered a new contract

Well i would be glad to see him stay, he is not as bad a player as some fans make out he is( IMO). I would rather he stay then Lenglet or Sanchez. Not saying he should be a starter but as a squad player he will be a assest. (IMO)

Would you offer him a new 3-4 year deal?

He turns 30 during next year and I could see us being lumbered with him til he retires if we give him a new deal and he has a poor season. No-one would buy him after that, or at least no-one would would offer him the wages he wants and at a club which he wants to go to

Dont give him a new deal - make him hungry next year and earn it

If he signs a new deal but no-one takes him when we want to flog him then he becomes a liabiltiy rather than an asset

I totally understand both the viewpoint and the (very obvious) right to express it. I was only pointing out that even when there is no real 'news' about him, people seem driven to express the same opinions they've expressed over and over. I know, tis a footie forum and I should recognise that, and I do; I was just genuinely intrigued as to what these folks would do if he stays and has a decent season in whatever capacity.

Would you offer him a new 3-4 year deal?

He turns 30 during next year and I could see us being lumbered with him til he retires if we give him a new deal and he has a poor season. No-one would buy him after that, or at least no-one would would offer him the wages he wants and at a club which he wants to go to

Dont give him a new deal - make him hungry next year and earn it

If he signs a new deal but no-one takes him when we want to flog him then he becomes a liabiltiy rather than an asset

No i would not, but that is not to say he would be not be a asset to us over the next season and we then take it from there. If he demands that lengthof a new contract for staying ( and i have not read anywhere that he has done that) then we should sell him.

No i would not, but that is not to say he would be not be a asset to us over the next season and we then take it from there. If he demands that lengthof a new contract for staying ( and i have not read anywhere that he has done that) then we should sell him.

I think all players would want a 3-4 year contract. There arent many 1-3 year extensions for 29 year olds

Agree that he could be an asset...but I'm hoping we sign 2 CBs and those 2 + Romero cover 95%+ of our starting CB positions

I think all players would want a 3-4 year contract. There arent many 1-3 year extensions for 29 year olds

Agree that he could be an asset...but I'm hoping we sign 2 CBs and those 2 + Romero cover 95%+ of our starting CB positions

To be honest i have not read anywhere what says he is asking for a long term extension and i do not disagree with what you have said. But if we only sign one CB i would rather keep Dier then either Sanchez or Lenglet.

Just watched his Spurs Play documentary. Have to say, it was extremely weak. The first half focussed on his childhood in Portugal and was quite interesting, but once he got to Tottenham it really skipped over so much; brief mention of how much he struggled with appendicitis, no mention of how poor he’s been, struggling with fan reaction, social media etc. Really felt like a missed opportunity to try and address some of the criticism. If you’re not doing that, I really don’t see why he gets a documentary - would rather see a Hugo one.

The best part was probably seeing Eriksen and Jan interviewed.

Just watched his Spurs Play documentary. Have to say, it was extremely weak. The first half focussed on his childhood in Portugal and was quite interesting, but once he got to Tottenham it really skipped over so much; brief mention of how much he struggled with appendicitis, no mention of how poor he’s been, struggling with fan reaction, social media etc. Really felt like a missed opportunity to try and address some of the criticism. If you’re not doing that, I really don’t see why he gets a documentary - would rather see a Hugo one.

The best part was probably seeing Eriksen and Jan interviewed.
Why would it mention how poor he has been or how our fans react
That’s not really how a promotional doc would work

Back