• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Eric Dier

Didnt he have complications with appendicitis, or something like that, around that period that affected him for quite a long time?

He had the appendicitis which kept him out for a quite a while, but then after that there was something else - I don't think it was ever explained what it was but it involved surgery if I recall correctly.
He had a perforated and infected appendix that required emergency surgery. After that he kept falling ill causing him to miss a load of games.
There was a second surgery, but as Glenda says, no explanation was given for it.

He has been through it this last couple of seasons ( couple of opertaions, illness etc) and has taken a lot of stick from certain fans while keeping his mouth shut and getting on with it.

He has been through it this last couple of seasons ( couple of opertaions, illness etc) and has taken a lot of stick from certain fans while keeping his mouth shut and getting on with it.

Wasn’t the appendicitis in 2018? Not sure you can still use that as a factor for his poor performances 4.5 years later tbh. Could make a case if his issues were purely physical but his mistakes are down to poor reading of the game, misplaced passes, being out of position, failing to put a tackle in etc.

Wasn’t the appendicitis in 2018? Not sure you can still use that as a factor for his poor performances 4.5 years later tbh. Could make a case if his issues were purely physical but his mistakes are down to poor reading of the game, misplaced passes, being out of position, failing to put a tackle in etc.
It happened the end of 2018 and caused him issues for about a year and had other unknown issues after it.

He was playing well for over a year then fell off a cliff around the time he got the England recall. Depends on what the physical issue is, if it's causing pain it's going to impact concentration or willingness to dive into a tackle etc. I'm not saying it is, it could be something minor, we don't know.

Groins can be a pain (haha)...it can feel healed but can easily reoccur, and it's a joint that can make movement awkward. Sharp direction changes, twisting, turning etc.

Could be a hernia, but it's definitely something they feel wasn't going to heal with just rest...they're probably timing the surgery so in 6 weeks he can integrate straight back into pre season training.

Groins can be a pain (haha)...it can feel healed but can easily reoccur, and it's a joint that can make movement awkward. Sharp direction changes, twisting, turning etc.

Could be a hernia, but it's definitely something they feel wasn't going to heal with just rest...they're probably timing the surgery so in 6 weeks he can integrate straight back into pre season training.

Or perhaps sold

The last couple of seasons he has been injury free - his issues were around the time we were at Wembley

The last couple of seasons he has been injury free - his issues were around the time we were at Wembley

Yet he has had yet another operation. Truth is nobody knows if it is related or not. Before anone get on to me about defending him for his performances i am not doing that.

His problem haven't been related to his physical condition, no loss of speed, or agility (never had it in the first place) or even balance.

So unless he's had a brain injury that causes all the terrible decisions he makes this all moot.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

His problem haven't been related to his physical condition, no loss of speed, or agility (never had it in the first place) or even balance.

So unless he's had a brain injury that causes all the terrible decisions he makes this all moot.

Time spent away from training/playing can have an effect though - this far on you can't really keep using it as an excuse.

Time spent away from training/playing can have an effect though - this far on you can't really keep using it as an excuse.
People just want to make excuses for him and I truly don't understand why. We're not exactly talking about Lesley King here.

At his best hes ok, he's often not at his best. At his usual level he's mediocre at best and often damn right awful.

Yet we keep making excuses for him. Why, please someone explain this to me? [emoji28]

People just want to make excuses for him and I truly don't understand why. We're not exactly talking about Lesley King here.

At his best hes ok, he's often not at his best. At his usual level he's mediocre at best and often damn right awful.

Yet we keep making excuses for him. Why, please someone explain this to me? [emoji28]

I think the injury/illness thing was fair at the time tbf but we're talking 3 years since then now and that's long enough to see the level he is now at. He was decent enough before then but always thought due to Jan/Toby/Dembele/Wanyama being played around him his limitations were masked somewhat - he's just a poor/average player these days, maybe he always was.

That's the one thing he *hasn't* done, given how much he spaffs to press about our mentality and how we've changed, and guff like that. Always him, and you just *know* he's going to fudge up and give away a goal the next game after his interview. It happens like clockwork. I suspect there's be a lot less opprobrium if he did indeed keep his mouth shut.

This latest narrative about him playing through an injury as a reason for him being utterly atrocious is amusing - given he's been crap for upwards of seven years, he must have been carrying this injury since roughly 2017.

That's the one thing he *hasn't* done, given how much he spaffs to press about our mentality and how we've changed, and guff like that. Always him, and you just *know* he's going to fudge up and give away a goal the next game after his interview. It happens like clockwork. I suspect there's be a lot less opprobrium if he did indeed keep his mouth shut.

This latest narrative about him playing through an injury as a reason for him being utterly atrocious is amusing - given he's been crap for upwards of seven years, he must have been carrying this injury since roughly 2017.

Sorry, this is bilious rhetoric mate. He has NOT had a great season by any stretch of even the most fertile imagination. He has not been 'crap' since 2017. BTW, he most certainly HAS kept his mouth shut and got on with it. He has never once remarked on the abuse he has regularly received over the years.

BTW, he most certainly HAS kept his mouth shut and got on with it. He has never once remarked on the abuse he has regularly received over the years.

Hasn't he? This must have been his brother talking to the media, then. Or this. Or this.

But that isn't what I'm pointing out - it's absolutely fine for him to talk about the stick he gets, though I wish he'd realize a lot of it's deserved.

It's things like this. Or this. Or this. Where he comes out bellowing about how our mentality has changed under Poch/Mourinho/Conte, how we're ready to fight for things, how he's in the best form of his career...

...and then he makes an absolute howler of an error shortly afterwards, looks skywards and yells a bit...and then repeats the cycle a little later. Again, and again, and again.

It's like clockwork. You can set your watch by Eric Dier declaring some changed mentality in the press and then committing an error League 2 defenders would be ashamed of almost immediately afterwards.

And note the times - he's been doing this since the Poch days, and has been called out since the Poch days.

*That* is why he has definitely, 100%, not 'kept his mouth shut', mate. 'Do your talking on the pitch' is an alien concept to the man.

Hasn't he? This must have been his brother talking to the media, then. Or this. Or this.

But that isn't what I'm pointing out - it's absolutely fine for him to talk about the stick he gets, though I wish he'd realize a lot of it's deserved.

It's things like this. Or this. Or this. Where he comes out bellowing about how our mentality has changed under Poch/Mourinho/Conte, how we're ready to fight for things, how he's in the best form of his career...

...and then he makes an absolute howler of an error shortly afterwards, looks skywards and yells a bit...and then repeats the cycle a little later. Again, and again, and again.

It's like clockwork. You can set your watch by Eric Dier declaring some changed mentality in the press and then committing an error League 2 defenders would be ashamed of almost immediately afterwards.

And note the times - he's been doing this since the Poch days, and has been called out since the Poch days.

*That* is why he has definitely, 100%, not 'kept his mouth shut', mate. 'Do your talking on the pitch' is an alien concept to the man.

I am wrong, as you have shown. Two incidences of him addressing abuse he has received. Speaking on the CULTURE of abuse in football -specifically the cowardly targeting of players and their families- is bang on the money. In fairness, even you ceded a little ground there.

Would you rather the club had banned him from doing interviews? What would you have expected him to say?

You'd have to grudgingly admit that our mentality did improve quite rapidly under Poch, and again for that dynamic 15 game spell under Conte before that fell apart.

Here's what I see with Eric Dier.
A player who has always tried his best, never hidden, and never ducked a challenge.
A player whose days as a first choice at this club have gone now, for sure.
A player who has had his day with us.

That you blame him for virtually everything wrong on the pitch with us is as damning an indictment of your obsessive (and IMO, bizarre) dislike of him as it is a metric of measurement.

I had to laugh, you even got angry when people were raising the fact he'd been playing with an injury
:D

As for the 'like clockwork' comment...mate...see this thread hahahaha!

I am wrong, as you have shown. Two incidences of him addressing abuse he has received. Speaking on the CULTURE of abuse in football -specifically the cowardly targeting of players and their families- is bang on the money. In fairness, even you ceded a little ground there.

Like I said, that's not what irks me. He's fully in his rights to complain about that - I'm only pointing out that he definitely hasn't been quiet about it.

Would you rather the club had banned him from doing interviews? What would you have expected him to say?

'We've had times where we appeared to turn a corner before, and then we collapsed like a pack of cards. We need to do our talking on the pitch, where it matters."

That's it, all that needs to be said. Self-reflection, and a refusal to say stupid crap that ends up backfiring because it immediately goes to their heads and they then go out and play like dozy children.

You'd have to grudgingly admit that our mentality did improve quite rapidly under Poch, and again for that dynamic 15 game spell under Conte before that fell apart.

Not really, because it's the same fragile sods having upswings in form and then terrible slumps like the one we're in - same men. There's zero consistency or determination to maintain the elevated levels of play we reached under Poch or Conte - at its heart, when the going gets tough, these lads give up. Conte said as much. So, I'd disagree there.

Here's what I see with Eric Dier.
A player who has always tried his best, never hidden, and never ducked a challenge.
A player whose days as a first choice at this club have gone now, for sure.
A player who has had his day with us.

There's a couple you've missed -

A player who was poor for the majority of his career here.
A player who is a symbol of our utter lack of desire to improve or win.
A player who talks a big game but doesn't remotely have the skills to match it.

As for 'trying his best, never ducking a challenge'....I've seen him duck plenty, mate. Hell, him lumbering backwards trying to avoid committing to tackling Rashford this very season is a prime example of it, and we conceded an absolutely terrible goal because of it.

That you blame him for virtually everything wrong on the pitch with us is as damning an indictment of your obsessive (and IMO, bizarre) dislike of him as it is a metric of measurement.

Him alone? No,not always. But him, Sanchez and Davies? Usually a combination of one, two or all three. And yes, sometimes just him - there are things he does that single-handedly throw away games for us, and even you have to see that.

I had to laugh, you even got angry when people were raising the fact he'd been playing with an injury

I'm amused that people use it as an excuse to defend him being crap, since he's been crap for the majority of a decade now mate. Some injury that's lasted for seven years, very unfortunate. ;)

Last edited:
Back