• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emmanuel Adebayor - Officially gone \o/

Re: Official - Adebayor

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foo...or-hits-rock-bottom-at-tottenham-8919454.html

Of course having supported the recall of Ade, he'll probably get a chance an be rubbish again.... still we won't know until he plays...

Additional quote from Mirror

"If selected I will give everything to be a success here. If not selected, I will give everything to be selected. Yes, it's been frustrating but I just have to keep my hopes alive, keep training hard, keep doing my thing and my chance will surely come."

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...riker-emmanuel-adebayor-2672397#ixzz2jmLWTJYj
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

That additional Mirror quote definitely softens the selectively mischievous quotes in the Standard piece.

How long has Ade been back? 2 or 3 weeks? That's not even a pre-season. So in pure footballing terms it's not likely he's ready yet to become #2 or even #3 striker.

So, reading Ade's comments in a negative light, he's complaining too soon. Reading them more charitably, he's expressing understandable frustration. One way or the other we should find out about his status in AVB's plans come the Christmas period.

He was used as a scape goat last season and the hate for him has followed on since. I remember seeing Ade press high up the field a number of times and also win the ball in our own half at times. The whole attitude thing is people believing what they read.

sorry, that's complete and utter rubbish. what a nonsense. what have I been reading then?

I base my opinion firmly on what ive seen on the field. what a pointless straw man argument.

what was I doing then when I thought I was watching games? interpretations can vary but to suggest im not capable of watching a football match and being able to draw my own conclusions is ridiculous frankly.

No not 'this' at all. The reason Ade didnt score many last season was due to him a) hanging outside of the penalty box too often ie always out wide b) Missing a load of gilt edged chances when he was in the box.

For the record I really think Ade can play a part for us, I really rate him. But a lack of chances was most certainly not the reason for his lack of goals last season....

sorry, that's complete and utter rubbish. what a nonsense. what have I been reading then?

I base my opinion firmly on what ive seen on the field. what a pointless straw man argument.

what was I doing then when I thought I was watching games? interpretations can vary but to suggest im not capable of watching a football match and being able to draw my own conclusions is ridiculous frankly.

Adebayor certainly do a lot of running last season, he was trying. Wherever it was always productive pressing was another matter but I dont think it was a lack of effort...

This is the Adebayor I would like to see again regularly this season, the one who a few months ago terrorised Chavski' defence at Stamford Bridge and scored one of the goals of the season plus assisted Sigursson' late equaliser... hopefully AVB can solve the enigma and get the Big Bad Ade who once scored 24 Premier League goals in a season to return [-o<

[video=youtube;UaVwkv5zIAk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaVwkv5zIAk[/video]

[video=youtube;64n3CEzyLCA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64n3CEzyLCA[/video]

People are so blinded by their hatred that they can't envisage Ade in a Spurs shirt again. Maybe he will be crap. We will never know until he gets a game

He was used as a scape goat last season and the hate for him has followed on since. I remember seeing Ade press high up the field a number of times and also win the ball in our own half at times. The whole attitude thing is people believing what they read.

'Hate' is so over the top it's funny. People got on his back because he scored a measly 5 league goals in 24 games playing in a top 6 calibre side. Ask any fan of any of his previous club what they make of his attitude and professionalism, they will all tell you he doesn't show it enough despite having bags of ability, or are they all lying? How many flights did he manage to miss on his way back from the ACN? The club expected him back by Wednesday and he returned by Friday, he was lucky we won that game. Granted he didn't get loads of chances in front of goal, but whenever he did get a chance, his finishing was woeful.

The big question is can he regain the form he showed at Arsenal a few years ago? Of course he can. Will he? Personally I think he will ultimately disappoint us and will not be consistent enough. If AVB really did think he was the answer we wouldn't have spent £26m on a new striker.

For the record, I do actually think he got a raw deal regarding the fallout from his brother's death, people deal with grief in different ways no matter how much money they're worth so I don't like to see fans having a pop at him for that.

No not 'this' at all. The reason Ade didnt score many last season was due to him a) hanging outside of the penalty box too often ie always out wide b) Missing a load of gilt edged chances when he was in the box.

For the record I really think Ade can play a part for us, I really rate him. But a lack of chances was most certainly not the reason for his lack of goals last season....

Now that really does deserve a "this"

That's football forums for you. There's always a player that comes in for stick in any football forum, but you can bet there will always be some defending said player regardless of how badly they play. Supporting him and hoping he comes through it is one thing, not being able to admit when a player is going through a bad time is just blind faith. Some people even credited him for Bale's form last season by "occupying defenders".

The ex Arsenal link doesn't bother me one iota. I would love it if we signed Fabregas, Van Persie or hell even Ramsey the way he is playing right now.

Crying out for him yesterday. When we eventually decided to start crossing the ball, we only had Soldado, Defoe and Paulinho in the box..... Hardly the biggest of targets. I hope it's not just AVB has a problem with him as I really think he would benefit the team.

Ade and Soldado upfront is the way forward. Lamela and Lennon on the wings and Sandro and one of Holtby or Eriksen next to him (Diamond) we would win most of our home games and would not be sat with such a **** goals for.

Don't know if he's still being a bit lazy, or if AVB is just returning to his Chelsea ways and holding grudges again (Ade's insistence that AVB didn't even bother speaking to him himself, sending a physio to tell him he'd be training with the U-18s, indicates the latter). Either way, his exclusion really needs to end, before we end up in January still stuck on 9 goals or something horrific like that. He offers us a different option, a different tactic to just banging our heads against an opposition wall over and over and over and over again until hopefully one of our lads breaks through with a bloody forehead and then everybody breathes a sigh of relief at the fact that at least we won't be going scoreless that week. Switching from 4-2-3-1 to a 4-4-2 with Ade and Soldadoup front could be amazing: Ade knocking it down for Soldado in the box, precisely where Soldado is at his best. Goals guaranteed. Admittedly, it could also turn out to be horrible: Ade could do his disappearing act again and Soldado would remain frustrated and isolated up front, leaving us with nine men on the pitch instead of the ten we usually play with. But at the moment, we know Defoe and Soldado don't work well together. We don't know how Ade+Soldado will perform. So why not try them?

Don't know if he's still being a bit lazy, or if AVB is just returning to his Chelsea ways and holding grudges again (Ade's insistence that AVB didn't even bother speaking to him himself, sending a physio to tell him he'd be training with the U-18s, indicates the latter). Either way, his exclusion really needs to end, before we end up in January still stuck on 9 goals or something horrific like that. He offers us a different option, a different tactic to just banging our heads against an opposition wall over and over and over and over again until hopefully one of our lads breaks through with a bloody forehead and then everybody breathes a sigh of relief at the fact that at least we won't be going scoreless that week. Switching from 4-2-3-1 to a 4-4-2 with Ade and Soldadoup front could be amazing: Ade knocking it down for Soldado in the box, precisely where Soldado is at his best. Goals guaranteed. Admittedly, it could also turn out to be horrible: Ade could do his disappearing act again and Soldado would remain frustrated and isolated up front, leaving us with nine men on the pitch instead of the ten we usually play with. But at the moment, we know Defoe and Soldado don't work well together. We don't know how Ade+Soldado will perform. So why not try them?

Moral hazard?

I'm not sure it's all that sensible to let the rest of the team know they can turn up (or not) whenever they want and still get to play for Spurs. Remember Mankini and Tevez? As soon as he folded and let Tevez back in he lost the respect of all his players - they knew they could overrule him whenever they wanted.

Moral hazard?

I'm not sure it's all that sensible to let the rest of the team know they can turn up (or not) whenever they want and still get to play for Spurs. Remember Mankini and Tevez? As soon as he folded and let Tevez back in he lost the respect of all his players - they knew they could overrule him whenever they wanted.

That depends on how Ade performs during his inclusion, surely? I mean, I don't think our lads are particularly stupid: they know there's a hierarchy in the squad that will be carried on regardless of how much AVB tries to make his selection policies egalitarian. Fryers, a natural left-back, will not play ahead of Verts at left-back if Rose is injured, even if Verts is only training at 50 percent. Similarly, last season, towards the end, I don't think AVB would have dared to omit Bale, regardless of how badly he trained, purely because of how he performed on the match-day.

There has to be an element of merit-based inclusion, of course, but team needs are paramount, and at this moment, we badly need another striker option. We have a guy we're paying 100k a week to who on his day can be absolutely brilliant, and offers completely different attributes to any of the other strikers in the squad, while possessing a decent (if not exactly reliable) track record to boot. But he's training with the kids.

If AVB includes him and he scores or sets up Soldado, the team (I hope) will be smart enough to understand that Ade's inclusion was necessary. IF he doesn't do well, I don't think AVB wouldget too much stick from the lads considering the desperate situation we're in up front: I trust, again, that they'll be smart enough to recognise that AVB had to try something new, and so he did. Either way, we have to at least try to get him on the field.

In January, by all means sell him or loan him out to show the team that you ultimately don't stand for slacking off. But right now his exclusion is hurting the team to make a point about merit and egalitarianism that I don't think is worth hurting our on-pitch performances over. There are other ways to show that you won't tolerate laziness or a non-committal attitude.

That depends on how Ade performs during his inclusion, surely? I mean, I don't think our lads are particularly stupid: they know there's a hierarchy in the squad that will be carried on regardless of how much AVB tries to make his selection policies egalitarian. Fryers, a natural left-back, will not play ahead of Verts at left-back if Rose is injured, even if Verts is only training at 50 percent. Similarly, last season, towards the end, I don't think AVB would have dared to omit Bale, regardless of how badly he trained, purely because of how he performed on the match-day.

There has to be an element of merit-based inclusion, of course, but team needs are paramount, and at this moment, we badly need another striker option. We have a guy we're paying 100k a week to who on his day can be absolutely brilliant, and offers completely different attributes to any of the other strikers in the squad, while possessing a decent (if not exactly reliable) track record to boot. But he's training with the kids.

If AVB includes him and he scores or sets up Soldado, the team (I hope) will be smart enough to understand that Ade's inclusion was necessary. IF he doesn't do well, I don't think AVB wouldget too much stick from the lads considering the desperate situation we're in up front: I trust, again, that they'll be smart enough to recognise that AVB had to try something new, and so he did. Either way, we have to at least try to get him on the field.

In January, by all means sell him or loan him out to show the team that you ultimately don't stand for slacking off. But right now his exclusion is hurting the team to make a point about merit and egalitarianism that I don't think is worth hurting our on-pitch performances over. There are other ways to show that you won't tolerate laziness or a non-committal attitude.

I think you're massively overestimating the intelligence of most footballers there. At the very least we have Walker and Townsend who I don't believe are exactly thinkers - that's without any potential language barrier with the slightly more intelligent but non-English contingent.

Equally, I'm not sure there are other ways to get the message across. If the alternative is to sell him, I doubt he'll be off to Rotherham this January - he'll be going to an established club paying him a lot of money (or we'll be making up the difference), carrying on his quite impressive feat of doing nothing and getting paid an absolute fortune for it. Not exactly punishment in the eyes of other footballers I suspect. Rotting in the reserves, on the other hand, is a clear punishment that most footballers are far too proud to want to experience.

I think you're massively overestimating the intelligence of most footballers there. At the very least we have Walker and Townsend who I don't believe are exactly thinkers - that's without any potential language barrier with the slightly more intelligent but non-English contingent.

Equally, I'm not sure there are other ways to get the message across. If the alternative is to sell him, I doubt he'll be off to Rotherham this January - he'll be going to an established club paying him a lot of money (or we'll be making up the difference), carrying on his quite impressive feat of doing nothing and getting paid an absolute fortune for it. Not exactly punishment in the eyes of other footballers I suspect. Rotting in the reserves, on the other hand, is a clear punishment that most footballers are far too proud to want to experience.

You raise some interesting points there, well worth chewing over. Still, if not Ade, then at least throw Kane on instead of Defoe: he's a big(ish) lad, and might be better in the air than Jermain. And if you're right about Ade, then that's all we can hope for until January, which has to be considered a failure somewhere. On Baldini's part , perhaps.

You raise some interesting points there, well worth chewing over. Still, if not Ade, then at least throw Kane on instead of Defoe: he's a big(ish) lad, and might be better in the air than Jermain. And if you're right about Ade, then that's all we can hope for until January, which has to be considered a failure somewhere. On Baldini's part , perhaps.

I agree about Kane - I never rated him but everything I hear and everything I've seen of him this season suggests I was probably wrong (and I hope that's the case). The only way we'll know for sure is to give him a few games and see.

I suspect Levy would have blocked the purchase of another "Ade type" striker until Ade was sold. We don't tend to carry much slack on our wage bill for a good reason and I suspect that Ade's £150K/week is far too much slack for us. I have to say, I'm very surprised Levy went for the buy in the first place. £5M and half his wages may sound like a hell of a deal, but any of us could have seen that if it didn't work out we'd be stuck with him. We all know how much Levy cares about resale values, I find it very strange that he would sign off on Ade's purchase under these terms.

Maybe he underestimated Ade's willingness to sit on his **** and take our money? Maybe, he's being stuck in the reserves until he agrees a pay cut?

Thought I spotted him sat with the subs behind AVB yesterday when I watched the highlights last night

Back