• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Davinson Sanchez

The same reason Tyler gets bitched about when commentating our games, always has to have the unnecessary dig.

To point out that a player has limitations and can be upgraded on (which Sanchez clearly can with Romero) is not an unnecessary dig. This thread reminds me when AVB was here and Adebayor was going through a goal drought and contributing very little otherwise but people kept pointing to the fact that we were winning and that nothing needed to change. Albeit not a like for like as Sanchez has been miles better than Ade was, but it’s almost like a win means no constructive analysis is allowed and we should just accept a player’s limitations. Quite ironic given your views on Son even when he scores a hat trick and you claim he “just scores goals”.

To point out that a player has limitations and can be upgraded on (which Sanchez clearly can with Romero) is not an unnecessary dig. This thread reminds me when AVB was here and Adebayor was going through a goal drought and contributing very little otherwise but people kept pointing to the fact that we were winning and that nothing needed to change. Albeit not a like for like as Sanchez has been miles better than Ade was, but it’s almost like a win means no constructive analysis is allowed and we should just accept a player’s limitations. Quite ironic given your views on Son even when he scores a hat trick and you claim he “just scores goals”.
He’s a back up defender…

Id have him over Ake, Gomes, Nat Philips, Konate or most other teams 4/5th choice centre backs!

I don't see you banging on about our other CB's limitations. Only Sanchez.

I think everyone acknowledges Davies also has his limits and could be upgraded on which we hopefully have done with Lenglet but that remains to be seen. Sanchez’s ability on the ball gets highlighted because it’s an essential skill for a CB to be comfortable on the ball in this era, much more so than it was even 10 years ago. And it’s compounded when Royal next to him also has a ceiling when it comes to being good on the ball, which isn’t Sanchez’s fault admittedly. Sanchez is the worst ball playing CB we have which is we people talk about it.

He’s a back up defender…

Yeah I get that. I was responding to specific criticism aimed at me claiming I dislike him when I simply am lamenting Romero’s absence as there is a clear drop off in quality between him and Sanchez on the ball. But apparently it’s not ok to highlight his weakness on the ball because we’re winning games?

Yeah I get that. I was responding to specific criticism aimed at me claiming I dislike him when I simply am lamenting Romero’s absence as there is a clear drop off in quality between him and Sanchez on the ball. But apparently it’s not ok to highlight his weakness on the ball because we’re winning games?
I don’t think anyone would say there isn’t a drop off in quality between Romero and Sanchez, that’s clear.

He’s a back up defender…

Which is a very fair point and he's a bloody good back up defender. But there are posts on here saying he's decent on the ball and inferring that Sanchez playing equals clean sheets. It's fair to challenge that and say he's ropey on the ball and the clean sheet stat is a bit of an anomaly. If we keep having to play Sanchez, he'll ll cost us somewhere along the line big time. We have four years' of evidence to support that opinion.

So Sanchez in a defence that hasn't conceded in 9 hours is open to criticism but son who has been poor isn't because he has "credit in the bank"?
How many hours of not conceding before sanchez has "credit in the bank"?

That doesn't make much sense to me.

Which is a very fair point and he's a bloody good back up defender. But there are posts on here saying he's decent on the ball and inferring that Sanchez playing equals clean sheets. It's fair to challenge that and say he's ropey on the ball and the clean sheet stat is a bit of an anomaly. If we keep having to play Sanchez, he'll ll cost us somewhere along the line big time. We have four years' of evidence to support that opinion.

Show me a defender or a player who doesn't cost us over time.

So Sanchez in a defence that hasn't conceded in 9 hours is open to criticism but son who has been poor isn't because he has "credit in the bank"?
How many hours of not conceding before sanchez has "credit in the bank"?

That doesn't make much sense to me.

Sanchez has been here 5 seasons and was poor for 3 and a half of them. Son has been here 7 seasons and has been well above average for all except his first season. Are people forgetting Sanchez’s previous seasons at the club? If you perform to a high level you get more slack, much the same in any walk of life

Sanchez has been here 5 seasons and was poor for 3 and a half of them. Son has been here 7 seasons and has been well above average for all except his first season. Are people forgetting Sanchez’s previous seasons at the club? If you perform to a high level you get more slack, much the same in any walk of life

You haven't answered the question.
How long?

He may not be the best on the ball but he has been a very effective defender for us in his last 9 hours of football.

Both today and in our last match Sanchez has not been the problem.

You haven't answered the question.
How long?

Over the course of a season(s) like Toby and Jan did and like Dier has to his credit last season and got near universal praise. Sanchez had one excellent season here then has been up and down to say the least ever since. Sanchez’s last consistent was 2017/18.

Anyway, everyone has been saying Sanchez is playing well now, just that his passing is still his weakness but that seems to have touched a nerve tonight.

Over the course of a season(s) like Toby and Jan did and like Dier has to his credit last season and got near universal praise. Sanchez had one excellent season here then has been up and down to say the least ever since. Sanchez’s last consistent was 2017/18.

Anyway, everyone has been saying Sanchez is playing well now, just that his passing is still his weakness but that seems to have touched a nerve tonight.

His passing has never been great, wasn't highlighted when he played with toby or jan because their proficiency masked his weakness.
We were spoiled with those two and now expect every cb to be the same, although Sanchez is the weakest of our passers i don't get the hype about dier or romeos tbh. Romero is slightly better than average, but thats it.

The problem being he has not put a foot wrong in the games he has come in, he has looked good on the ball and passed well yet he is still not getting the credit he deserves and people are quick to say he can be upgraded and point out his flaws. I give players credit when they deserve it and stick when they have played brick, if people can not handle it then ignore my comments.

came here young and the club/coaches have to take a fair share responsibility for his lack of development too.
great to see conte/paratici shaking things up across the back room and academy levels.
but he's much improved under conte and personally I think its easier to upgrade Davies and Dier than Sanchez based on the system Conte is playing now. Davies and Dier are just too porous and got beaten by the industrious and more nimble Forest recruits, where Sanchez put his physicality and speed to match them.

The problem being he has not put a foot wrong in the games he has come in, he has looked good on the ball and passed well yet he is still not getting the credit he deserves and people are quick to say he can be upgraded and point out his flaws. I give players credit when they deserve it and stick when they have played brick, if people can not handle it then ignore my comments.

Because he does have areas of weakness in his game and he can be upgraded. Would you prefer people lied and said the opposite?

If we are to believe all the crap in the media we have been trying to sign centrebacks during this window, that implies Conte wants to strengthen that area. If we dont get anyone we have to use those players in the squad, if we weren't looking I could understand the frustration but the sooner people accept this is the situation and stop reposting the same negative stuff week after week whatever the results the less tedious this will get.

If we are to believe all the crap in the media we have been trying to sign centrebacks during this window, that implies Conte wants to strengthen that area. If we dont get anyone we have to use those players in the squad, if we weren't looking I could understand the frustration but the sooner people accept this is the situation and stop reposting the same negative stuff week after week whatever the results the less tedious this will get.
Agree, but to be fair the CBs linked were mostly LCB and CB, not RCB because you aren’t going to get a much better backup standard to Romero than Sanchez….

Depends on what you mean by "putting a foot wrong".

To me he rather repeatedly puts us under more pressure and stops us from playing through pressure by picking the easy way out (poor long balls, playing it out for a throw, super safe pass selection). But that may not be "putting a foot wrong", maybe just him recognising that he's not very good on the ball so he should keep it safe.

So not mistakes as such, but detrimental effect to our overall play.

came here young and the club/coaches have to take a fair share responsibility for his lack of development too.
great to see conte/paratici shaking things up across the back room and academy levels.
but he's much improved under conte and personally I think its easier to upgrade Davies and Dier than Sanchez based on the system Conte is playing now. Davies and Dier are just too porous and got beaten by the industrious and more nimble Forest recruits, where Sanchez put his physicality and speed to match them.

He isn't a particularly good fit to our style on the ball.

The CBs we have signed is more highly rated on the ball than purely defensively. We've been linked more or less exclusively to very good ball playing centre backs. Tanganga (another one that's limited on the ball) seems to be on his way out, despite being home grown.

RCB has been less of a priority because we have Romero and adequate cover in Sanchez, whereas on the left at had only Davies.

I'm very happy that he's proving himself good enough as a cover player. Longer term I think we'd want a backup player that fits our style of play on the ball as well as defensively. But it's not a priority and we can't do everything in one window.

Fair play to him. He's adapted to Conte's system, makes the most of the qualities he has. He's been playing well and weeded out most of his defensive errors. Done at least as well as could be expected.

Back