• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Danny Rose

Excellent defending from Rose, but why the comment about Vertonghen? Wasn't Nugent playing on the right for them? Is it the centre back's job to track the right sided midfielder in that situation?

Rose does very well. Nugent is quite a lot bigger than him, but Rose challenges for it rather brilliantly, puts his body in there to make sure Nugent doesn't get the easy header and even gets to the ball first. He does his job against his man.

Look at the clip again. Look at Dier being ahead of the central Leicester player, no control over him at all. Yet you want Vertonghen to leave that player and be 5-10 yards further back picking up their right sided midfielder?

I was not intending that comment to be an attack upon Vertonghen but, as you say, young Dier keeps on getting caught out of position lately and perhaps it's no coincidence that Walker and Vertonghen have been more prone to gaffes than usual in recent weeks.

Looking through our results, we haven't kept a single clean sheet in any league game that Dier has played 90mins as CB.

The main thing that was missing from Rose's game last season in my opinion was the innate desire all top defenders have to not concede a goal. Maybe a weird thing to say but how often did Rose lose the ball up the pitch and saunter back at a snails pace into position. He was doing a job as a defender rather than committing to the task. Now I see a mind shift in Rose and those two vines are great examples of it. That sliding tackle was superb and stopped a certain goal I'm sure. Last season Rose is 20 yards further up the pitch and nowhere near close enough to even try a tackle like that.

I wanted Rose gone at start of this season but now he's our best defender. Who would have thunk it?

Last edited:
The main thing that was missing from Rose's game last season in my opinion was the innate desire all top defenders have to not to concede a goal. Maybe a weird thing to say but how often did Rose lose the ball up the pitch and saunter back at a snails pace into position. He was doing a job as a defender rather than committing to the task. Now I see a mind shift in Rose and those two vines are great examples of it. That sliding tackle was superb and stopped a certain goal I'm sure. Last season Rose is 20 yards further up the pitch and nowhere near close enough to even try a tackle like that.

I wanted Rose gone at start of this season but now he's our best defender. Who would have thunk it?

Tbf the fact Spurs spent 3 months preparing a new 5 year deal, suggests that behind the scenes he was very highly rated by the club. I will never forget the reaction to him getting a new deal. Maybe its the age of social media but although we like to slag off liv, chelsea, arsenal fans - by in large our fans are deluded clams

Tbf the fact Spurs spent 3 months preparing a new 5 year deal, suggests that behind the scenes he was very highly rated by the club. I will never forget the reaction to him getting a new deal. Maybe its the age of social media but although we like to slag off liv, chelsea, arsenal fans - by in large our fans are deluded clams

On here or on twitter?

I never joined until about Nov because became so disillusioned with us and had to rant somewhere. I remember seeing a Twitter reaction and what most of my friends said, so imagine it was similar on here

Rose wasn't delivering solid performances before this season. His displays have seen a marked improvement recently.

Other than stating that we shouldn't criticise any of our own players, it isn't completely surprising that criticism is aired when it appears that we are rewarding a player whose performances, in the critics minds, perhaps may not have merited that reward.

I am keen on him staying for a long time to come. At the start of the season, I wanted Davies to be first choice as I had little faith in Rose. Full credit to Rose for making me review my opinion of him and for really stepping up his game to the point that now he is one of our best performers and has rightfully earned England recognition.

I never joined until about Nov because became so disillusioned with us and had to rant somewhere. I remember seeing a Twitter reaction and what most of my friends said, so imagine it was similar on here
Unlikely.

This place may be full to the brim with clams but it's not even close to Twitter in that sense.

I'm pretty sure the reaction on here was measured and mature. This place is the last bastion of sanity on the interweb ;)

Rose seems to possess that impossibly rare trait of defying all expectations about him that were made based on initial impressions and his playing style. :) His articulate interviews at the start of the season surprised me - given that the enduring story about him that had stuck in my mind prior to that was Lennon's description of him reading out 'In Da Club' by 50 Cent at his initiation, I didn't expect Danny to be very different from most footballers when it came to articulation of his thoughts in an eloquent manner: however, those composed interviews did pleasantly surprise me. Beyond that, his rash playing style and sub-par 2013-2014 had convinced me that he was going to be a considerable risk at the back, and I did expect him to leave last summer with the arrival of Davies: his new contract again really surprised, and he continues to surprise me on the playing side, with him becoming one of our better performing defenders this year on the whole, and with him making far better forward runs and crosses than he did last season. Now, he doesn't seem like the England type, but I have no doubt that he'll end up surprising me yet again. :)

Not just Spurs, most players. How many players pull out with injuries after being called up. Sturridge, Lallana, Shaw to name a few this time around, along with Rose.

Not just Spurs, most players. How many players pull out with injuries after being called up. Sturridge, Lallana, Shaw to name a few this time around, along with Rose.

The difference is, we all know the Liverpool trio will be fit and ready to play at Arsenal, whereas Rose will be out for 2/3 weeks min from his hamstring injury

Rose seems to possess that impossibly rare trait of defying all expectations about him that were made based on initial impressions and his playing style. :)

Heh...or further evidence that managers and coaches know more than keyboard warriors?;)

Be that as it may, I do believe some fans were higher on Rose than others, even last season? But fair play, thats as articulate a way of saying 'I was wrong about a player' as I've seen in a while. :)

Last edited:
Heh...or further evidence that managers and coaches know more than keyboard warriors?;)

Be that as it may, I do believe some fans were higher on Rose than others, even last season? But fair play, thats as articulate a way of saying 'I was wrong about a player' as I've seen in a while. :)

keyboardwarriors.jpg

And yes, I believe some people were more forgiving on Rose than others here on GG. To those people, fair play. I, however, was incorrect in assuming too much about him, and I freely admit that. :)

Back