• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

Blimey. A month is gonna be a long time without the nice weather of the previous lockdown.
I guess at least they finally made a decision on something.
More made up brick I bet !!!
Yep a month will be fudging horrendous especially if the kids stop going to school
It will be a huge struggle for me mentally to deal with my 11 year old at home 24/7 again

Seems more nuanced than last time if reports are to be believed. Schools, universities and courts to remain open; construction to continue; outdoor exercise to be encouraged.

I was hoping they'd close the schools so we don't have to do the school run (also the kids in my daughters class are all bored stiff of being in a small room all day). But I guess it makes a huge difference for most working parents.

Reports suggest lockdown from Thursday (till 2nd December), after a parliamentary vote (Sky).

That’s trusting Peston, though, and everybody enjoys briefing him duff gen. Suspect there will be a deviation in the PC from what was pre-briefed, if only to disrupt the virus’ OODA loop.

That’s trusting Peston, though, and everybody enjoys briefing him duff gen. Suspect there will be a deviation in the PC from what was pre-briefed, if only to disrupt the virus’ OODA loop.
I'd love it (fudging love it) if everyone is just fudging with him.

If you're comparing to other coronaviruses then at least that's apples to oranges. It's important to note that most coronaviruses are like the common cold, COVID-19 and SARS are quite different but similar to each other.

They don't mutate well and there aren't many strains. That means that immunity is not only likely to last, but also likely to work for both and all other similar strains.

I agree the government has been poor in most of this. I've restrained my criticism of them though as we essentially have a 2 party system and the other party wanted to lock down harder and longer (or at least claimed so with hindsight). That would have been significantly worse.

SARS-cov-1 also does not confer permanent immunity. Yes the coronaviruses are different but they have enough similarities that comparisons are still valid.

A lockdown while more extreme at least is known to reduce cases. It's preferable to a mish mash of restrictions that burden business but do nothing to arrest cases.

I don't think that's the case.

It's obvious that many (if not most) are asymptomatic, but I don't believe that can be entirely down to the presence of antibodies. There's just too many asymptomatic people around for that to be the case.
But we are exposed to various coronaviruses from play school onwards?. That BMJ paper is highlighting SARS cases and immunity gained.

I suppose if I was going to argue against myself, then the level of colds etc that are generally widespread, then we'd all be immune? (Or asymptomatic) and we are clearly not.

SARS-cov-1 also does not confer permanent immunity. Yes the coronaviruses are different but they have enough similarities that comparisons are still valid.

A lockdown while more extreme at least is known to reduce cases. It's preferable to a mish mash of restrictions that burden business but do nothing to arrest cases.
You're confusing antibodies and immunity again.

SARS antibodies last a couple of years - quite lengthy for a coronavirus. Nobody has actually tested extended immunity (which runs far longer than antibodies) to my knowledge, although I can't see why they would, as it would be extremely rare for it not to happen.

I was hoping they'd close the schools so we don't have to do the school run (also the kids in my daughters class are all bored stiff of being in a small room all day). But I guess it makes a huge difference for most working parents.
We defo have a different opinion on this one hahah

But we are exposed to various coronaviruses from play school onwards?. That BMJ paper is highlighting SARS cases and immunity gained.

I suppose if I was going to argue against myself, then the level of colds etc that are generally widespread, then we'd all be immune? (Or asymptomatic) and we are clearly not.
I don't believe anyone seems to think there's cross-immunity from anything other than (probably) SARS.

If exposure were causing asymptomatic behaviour, I'd expect to see more cases in places like Australia and New Zealand, and fewer in the UK.

The lass who is the Chair from Edinburgh Uni for health has it nailed on. The government need to be smarter but so do people because lockdown and release till we find a vaccine is not sustainable in any way shape or form.

She was also spot on when she said that test, track and trace was pointless because people who get a positive result are not staying at home.

We defo have a different opinion on this one hahah

Ha! I completely understand though and think most people share your opinion.
In my case I only have her 50% of the time so get a long break, we have nice outdoor space and less boring than on my own :)

But yeah for *normal* people I think it's very difficult.

She was also spot on when she said that test, track and trace was pointless because people who get a positive result are not staying at home.

Yeah while it's optional it would never work.

People say we should copy Taiwans track-and-trace, but pretty sure their's is a legal requirement that everyone must sign up and you get an instant fine if your phone leaves your house when you are meant to quarantine.

Big difference.

Ha! I completely understand though and think most people share your opinion.
In my case I only have her 50% of the time so get a long break, we have nice outdoor space and less boring than on my own :)

But yeah for *normal* people I think it's very difficult.
Home schooling was ridiculous with her earler in the year and now she is at Secondary school it would be worse, i’m coming into a very busy time at work and have some job worries too

Didn't loads of businesses just continue last time?

Getting stuffed delivered was never much of a problem?
Depends on the level of lockdown.

We didn't stop at all as we had a letter to show we were part of the essential services chain.

I know plenty felt like they had to but probably could have won in court.

The lass who is the Chair from Edinburgh Uni for health has it nailed on. The government need to be smarter but so do people because lockdown and release till we find a vaccine is not sustainable in any way shape or form.

She is very good. Interestingly she is a scientist not a medic.

It probably doesn't take many delays along the ch.ain of track and trace (test, contact list, phone calls, contacts tested, results) to render the system far to retrospective to be of any use.

Plus how many on here have downloaded the NHS app? If you haven't (I'm not judging you) then simply, you've really forfeited your right to moan about it.

Normal government service - people recognised a need to act swiftly around a month ago. Government did nothing dithered. On here we were talking about how each day counts when infection growth is exponential. Now we’ll have a worse lockdown. Boris seriously screwing the economy.

They can’t even deliver a press conference on time.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Home schooling was ridiculous with her earler in the year and now she is at Secondary school it would be worse, i’m coming into a very busy time at work and have some job worries too

Yeah home schooling was very difficult, our 3 x 30 mins would regularly take most of the day.
Not great if you have work commitments & worries.

It does seem they are determined to keep them open, so hopefully that helps you a bit.

Back