• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

I won't argue to the cometence of the civil service as I agree it needs ripping apart and rebuilding. But I am not sure policy mistakes are the civil services fault.
I think the policy is based on knowledge - they are learning as they go, like everyone else. I think they were wrong to start the lockdown and wrong to continue it. That said, Sunak's measures and the competency with which he got them working have been impressive. But the alternative was worse. The only other viable political party in this country wanted more lockdown, more govt interference in our lives, more damage to the economy and more of our money handed out to others.

The communication will normally come through the civil service. The govt will oversee that, but they only have what they have to work with.

I think the policy is based on knowledge - they are learning as they go, like everyone else. I think they were wrong to start the lockdown and wrong to continue it. That said, Sunak's measures and the competency with which he got them working have been impressive. But the alternative was worse. The only other viable political party in this country wanted more lockdown, more govt interference in our lives, more damage to the economy and more of our money handed out to others.

The communication will normally come through the civil service. The govt will oversee that, but they only have what they have to work with.

I agree that I now, without supreme confidence, can say the lockdown was wrong. We should have shielded the vulnerable and left the rest with some social distancing measures. Also Sunak has played it well.

I agree that I now, without supreme confidence, can say the lockdown was wrong. We should have shielded the vulnerable and left the rest with some social distancing measures. Also Sunak has played it well.
Sunak has to be first in the queue for the next party leader. If not, something is severely wrong there.

Sunak has to be first in the queue for the next party leader. If not, something is severely wrong there.

I'll be amazed to see the day a person of colour is leading the Tories (and lesser extent Labour, but moreso Tories). This is the same party that just a couple of years ago was seriously considering Andrea Leadsom as PM, so clearly ability is a minute factor in the process.

I'll be amazed to see the day a person of colour is leading the Tories (and lesser extent Labour, but moreso Tories). This is the same party that just a couple of years ago was seriously considering Andrea Leadsom as PM, so clearly ability is a minute factor in the process.

I know some conservative party members and all of them white and all would back him. @scaramanga said it a while back. The party might have issues with black people but they actually really like asians particularly the hard working clean cut well educated type.

Stems from Thatchers time as leader when she made a big effort to woo them amongst her whole its is your talent not who you are thing. A lot from that generation brought into it.

I know some conservative party members and all of them white and all would back him. @scaramanga said it a while back. The party might have issues with black people but they actually really like asians particularly the hard working clean cut well educated type.

Stems from Thatchers time as leader when she made a big effort to woo them amongst her whole its is your talent not who you are thing. A lot from that generation bought into it.

Don't disagree, clearly Tories have done wonders attracting women (leaders) and prominent people of colour compared to Labour (and Libs) especially. I just can't see it happening. As an asian i don't care if Rishi gets the job, wouldn't make me vote for him any more/less than now anwyay. Policies matter more.

What i will say though, is fudge me, the current crop are brick.

I don't think there's a surplus of ability anywhere in the Commons right now.

But they can't (and didn't) ignore popularity. Sunak passed his first test with flying colours. If he can steer us through any kind of recovery without making taxes any more punitive than they are, then he's in a good place to be next.

Back