• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

As someone who's lost an elderly relative through this most unusual time, am I entitled to say "go fudge yourself"?

I guess it depends on why you feel like you're being held hostage. If you've got a business to run that's been severely affected and there's not the support in place I can understand why compassion might go out the window if you have a family that are dependent on that income supply.

However if you're just missing the golf course in addition to your fav restaurant and the elderly (they're almost dead anyway right?!?!) are preventing you from enjoying your youthful years, kindly sit on it and swivel.

Sorry to hear this mate.

Furlough scheme extended until end of June - gives some idea of government's thinking re opening up. There will be a partial opening up probably by end of May imo, but very slow. Pubs probably July/August at a guess. :(

Furlough scheme extended until end of June - gives some idea of government's thinking re opening up. There will be a partial opening up probably by end of May imo, but very slow. Pubs probably July/August at a guess. :(
It is the festivals I'll miss most. I always go to a couple. :(

Here's the Czech Republic's exit timetable. They were tracking us but locked down earlier, so have had far less cases/deaths and have been able to relax measures earlier. I'd guess that we're about a month behind now.

https://brnodaily.com/2020/04/14/ne...j_8LsJSYWe7uCbKGTpEqe2xXutnIS8bZObiRpsW7pQEo0

March the 12th, 11 days before us.

They were on the same trajectory as us before they went into lockdown but cases have tailed off a lot quicker because of the earlier response. To date they've had 16 deaths per million of population compared to our 215.

Some of the predictions for Africa are awful, hope they will be alright over there. As ever if it does hit bad out there it will be the poor and working class that get hit the worst.

i remember thinking africa and india were doomed a few weeks back. coverage of whats going on in those places seems to have been dialled back in the uk recently though.

Indian government are much better placed/prepared to fight this than African countries. They’ve enforced social distancing for a few weeks i think I recall reading.

Unfortunately in many African communities, there’s an attitude of life is already tough enough, no cold bug is going to make it much worse. The elderly will suffer and the health care is nowhere near ready to cope. Only ray of hope is developed countries get past the worst of it and pass their resources onto countries in need. That would require China, USA, Italy etc mobilising in a way they never have with safety equipment, ventilators etc.

Which, to add a little bit of context, was also earlier than Spain.

If people were talking about different countries purely as a way to do things better and to learn by others examples and mistakes(to be fair some on here are talking that way) I could understand it. But in the media the seems to be these competitiveness about who can top a league table, that and the politicising of this outbreak all feels really distasteful to me.

I repeat I did not vote for this government so i dont feel the need to defend them and they have been and still seem a little slow to be reacting to things, but the way the press and some politicians are going after them it just does not sit right with me.

Maybe I move in nicer circles then I realised but everyone I have spoken with when we saw what was happening in Italy were saying "oh my GHod those poor people" then when it looked like it was coming here the was the whole "stay safe, see you on the other side and if the is anything i can do drop me a line" and then when it looked like hitting poorer parts of the world it was "oh GHod how will they cope, I hope they will be alright"

Some of the media outlets in this country should hang their heads in shame, along with a fair few people as well. I used to browse most of the online newspapers of an evening before going to bed. Dont really bother anymore.

If people were talking about different countries purely as a way to do things better and to learn by others examples and mistakes(to be fair some on here are talking that way) I could understand it. But in the media the seems to be these competitiveness about who can top a league table, that and the politicising of this outbreak all feels really distasteful to me.

I repeat I did not vote for this government so i dont feel the need to defend them and they have been and still seem a little slow to be reacting to things, but the way the press and some politicians are going after them it just does not sit right with me.

Maybe I move in nicer circles then I realised but everyone I have spoken with when we saw what was happening in Italy were saying "oh my GHod those poor people" then when it looked like it was coming here the was the whole "stay safe, see you on the other side and if the is anything i can do drop me a line" and then when it looked like hitting poorer parts of the world it was "oh GHod how will they cope, I hope they will be alright"

Some of the media outlets in this country should hang their heads in shame, along with a fair few people as well. I used to browse most of the online newspapers of an evening before going to bed. Dont really bother anymore.

Completely agree.

The Czech republic very much appear to have taken the correct action and, with hindsight, a more effective strategy than ours. However, the fact that even Spain hadn't seen fit to lock down at the point the Czechs did should provide a good indication of thinking and the wider situation as it was perceived at the time (as opposed to revisionist thinking).

Using the Czech example as a stick to beat the UK government with is unfair in my view, at least at this point in time. Were they to repeat the error ahead of a second wave later in the year of course, that would be a different matter. But at this point in time it just smacks, to me, of agenda.

Back