• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

Interesting read that

It's pretty much what we could've expected looking at what other countries are doing. The difficult bit will be testing capacity and having enough people to do contact tracing.

You're looking at needing something like 10k of people doing home visits for tests and contact tracing and the ability to do 200k tests a day with a short turnaround time.

Completely agree.

The Czech republic very much appear to have taken the correct action and, with hindsight, a more effective strategy than ours. However, the fact that even Spain hadn't seen fit to lock down at the point the Czechs did should provide a good indication of thinking and the wider situation as it was perceived at the time (as opposed to revisionist thinking).

Using the Czech example as a stick to beat the UK government with is unfair in my view, at least at this point in time. Were they to repeat the error ahead of a second wave later in the year of course, that would be a different matter. But at this point in time it just smacks, to me, of agenda.

Spain was ahead of Czech Republic. Czech was in line with us, so about a week behind Spain. Czech locked down whilst we were still pursuing a herd immunity strategy. Portugal is worth looking at, they have handled this very well.

Spain was ahead of Czech Republic. Czech was in line with us, so about a week behind Spain. Czech locked down whilst we were still pursuing a herd immunity strategy. Portugal is worth looking at, they have handled this very well.
As is Sweden

Spain was ahead of Czech Republic.

Ahead in terms of case numbers, I'm sure. But they were 2 or 3 days behind them in terms of actual lockdown date (comparing a quick google search for the Spanish date with the Czech date given in this thread).

I find the media unimaginative often, whether a Poch press conference or a government briefing.

But the idea that the media should not questions this governments actions is absurd! There are many totalitarian nations where the media tow the line. That is not us.

There is no parliament sitting, the opposition can not question and critique the government’s actions. And with some evident failings, who would put any pressure on the government to improve without the free media!!?

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Some of the media outlets in this country should hang their heads in shame, along with a fair few people as well. I used to browse most of the online newspapers of an evening before going to bed. Dont really bother anymore.

Could not agree more, the ones that really waste every ones time is those who ask the same stupid questions at the daily meeting the goverment. Can they not see that its the same old stuff they have asked before and been given a answer too, they may not like the answer but repeating it is not going to change anything.

Ahead in terms of case numbers, I'm sure. But they were 2 or 3 days behind them in terms of actual lockdown date (comparing a quick google search for the Spanish date with the Czech date given in this thread).

That's right. It is the stage that they locked down during their outbreak that is important and that was earlier than us or Spain.

That's right. It is the stage that they locked down during their outbreak that is important and that was earlier than us or Spain.

I was pointing out that, by locking down earlier than Spain and only a couple of days behind Italy, the Czech lockdown occurred very early in the timeline of the wider event.

I'm not sure that there were many serious calls for the UK to implement a full lockdown at that point (again, it's very easy to say now that is what should have been done), and I'm quite sure many of the same people now taking that line would have panned the govt had they actually gone that route back then.

84 tonnes of PPE 'arriving in UK tomorrow'

Asked about the chronic shortage of protective equipment for NHS staff, the communities secretary says it is extremely challenging to source at this time.
He says a large consignment of PPE is due to arrive in the UK tomorrow from Turkey - some 84 tonnes of PPE.

He says it will include 400,000 gowns, calling it “a very significant additional shipment”.

I was pointing out that, by locking down earlier than Spain and only a couple of days behind Italy, the Czech lockdown occurred very early in the timeline of the wider event.

I'm not sure that there were many serious calls for the UK to implement a full lockdown at that point (again, it's very easy to say now that is what should have been done), and I'm quite sure many of the same people now taking that line would have panned the govt had they actually gone that route back then.
It's impossible to say what should have been done for good 12 months.

84 tonnes of PPE 'arriving in UK tomorrow'

Asked about the chronic shortage of protective equipment for NHS staff, the communities secretary says it is extremely challenging to source at this time.
He says a large consignment of PPE is due to arrive in the UK tomorrow from Turkey - some 84 tonnes of PPE.

He says it will include 400,000 gowns, calling it “a very significant additional shipment”.
Apparently though this will last 3 days !!!

Everyone that has handled this “very well” are now looking down the barrel of the Coronavirus shotgun. Japan are now saying that they are not going to be able to handle this in their hospitals. Markle is saying they are expecting a spike and how they are looking to manage that.

I think as I’ve said this is something that is not just solved by doing A,B or C this virus and the hugely contagious nature means even those deemed to be doing “better” are going to lose scores of lives beyond anyone’s control

If you read back on this forum you would see there was no real call for a lock down leading up to our lockdown and those that did were in the minority. I’m not saying we run the country or should have known more but I do struggle with the “it was obvious” call when it wasn’t at all. At the time we locked down people in large numbers didn’t know how serious this was or going to be.

Near enough the capital city was open up till they were told to close and although people will claim greed and with some right there are a lot of clever brains there that didn’t know or predict how bad this was going to be and send staff home.

Yes we should have done more, totally accepted but definitely not having the ego feeding from people saying it was obvious and needed. That’s rubbish.

Back