• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Eriksen

Is he really though? I think people want him to be a an Ozil/Silva type but I haven't seen much evidence of this supposed craft/guile/vision. His best form has been as a wide midfielder where he can drift undetected and this allows him to get amongst the goals, when he's played in the pocket it's all too congested for him and he's easily nullified as he just isn't sharp/quick/agile enough to really escape defenders. He's been getting a free pass for a while now, he has one goal in his last 20 games and that was a cross, he doesn't effect the game nearly enough to make up for the lack of output and I disagree that we missed him yesterday, we were no worse than the majority of games Eriksen has taken part in over the past six months.

No, he really is that good when it comes to slide-rule passes: it's a bit late where I am, or I would have tried to rustle up some gifs/ analyses to support my claim, but trust me, I'm not exaggerating. I've watched him slide balls in behind the defense, only for Kane to get there a second too late as the GK sweeps it up: I've also seen him play short slide-rule passes in behind an onrushing full-back on the wings for Chadli/Lamela to chase, only for them to try to cut inside onto their stronger foot and then squander the chance as the defenders get back into position. About once per game (by my count), he also tends to drop deeper next to the deepest-lying midfielder and play a lofted pass into the feet of the aforementioned wing duo: again, they don't have the pace to take men on and thus end up cutting inside and (more often than not) squandering the opportunity. In triangular play, he's brilliant: he gives and goes in tight spaces effortlessly well, and indeed I think he needs to, given his physical limitations. And I do think that he genuinely tries to make the ball do the running for him when trying to play through balls from just behind the pocket in front of the opposition box: unfortunately, there often aren't many runners, which forces him to take into the pocket where, as you mentioned, he's easily nullified more often than not.

I'm not particularly biased when it comes to Eriksen: indeed, the only Spurs AMs I've really been gaga for have been VDV throughout his Spurs career and Bale in 2012-2013. I don't particularly 'like' Eriksen in the same way that I liked those players: unlike VDV, he doesn't wear his heart on his sleeve and represent the very soul of what Tottenham's about(and, to his credit, he's never really pretended to try), and unlike Bale with his screamers and one-man rescue acts, he doesn't really leave stardust all over the place when he plays, being more of the cold, clinical, efficient type, IMO.

But I do recognize that the lad's magnificently talented, and that he's being let down by the players around him. And I think we'll see that in time, either with us (when he gets team-mates that play to his strengths), or with someone else (likewise).

What runners? What space? Most weeks we denied space to run into. Parking the bus is the most common tactic used against us because it works. There are no runners because there's no where to run to.

What runners? What space? Most weeks we denied space to run into. Parking the bus is the most common tactic used against us because it works. There are no runners because there's no where to run to.

Not entirely true: most teams leave space behind them at least a few times per game, and even when they don't, a pacy player would probably be able to work in tighter spaces with a bit less hassle from defenders,given the increased likelihood of the player's pace making it easier for him to get fouled in dangerous areas in or around the box.

Either way, we don't have the players to take advantage of Eriksen's plays at the moment (except N'Jie, I suppose): that was my primary point.

Its there but you have to have the desire to find it, something some of our players lack.

are we talking about eriksen?

i dont get it.....the guy is class...where is this doubt coming from?

The problem for me isn't the skill he does have, it's the skill he doesn't for the position he's played in.

In those attacking 3 positions behind Kane we need someone to run onto the passes Eriksen can provide. The 2 behind them are the ones who are supposed to offer that service/vision/slide-rule passing the majority of the time.

When the balls dead he's great and can be the one to provide that service, but when the ball's rolling he's not in the right position to offer anything with that ability he's got.

In Poch's system what he need to look for in each position is...

Forward (finishing, holdup play, clever runs)

3 advanced mids (pace, clever runs, confidence in 1v1 situations, finishing)

2 behind (vision, passing, technical ability, longer range passing, ball retention, breakup play)

The problem i have with Eriksen is that he holds more of the abilities suited for the two deeper midfield positions and with that in mind, I'd be fine if he was sold.

all that said... If he was played in a 4-3-3 as the ACM i think he'd be a huge value to the club.

Something like:
Pritchard - Kane - Njie
Eriksen
Bentaleb - Dembele​

No, he really is that good when it comes to slide-rule passes: it's a bit late where I am, or I would have tried to rustle up some gifs/ analyses to support my claim, but trust me, I'm not exaggerating. I've watched him slide balls in behind the defense, only for Kane to get there a second too late as the GK sweeps it up: I've also seen him play short slide-rule passes in behind an onrushing full-back on the wings for Chadli/Lamela to chase, only for them to try to cut inside onto their stronger foot and then squander the chance as the defenders get back into position. About once per game (by my count), he also tends to drop deeper next to the deepest-lying midfielder and play a lofted pass into the feet of the aforementioned wing duo: again, they don't have the pace to take men on and thus end up cutting inside and (more often than not) squandering the opportunity. In triangular play, he's brilliant: he gives and goes in tight spaces effortlessly well, and indeed I think he needs to, given his physical limitations. And I do think that he genuinely tries to make the ball do the running for him when trying to play through balls from just behind the pocket in front of the opposition box: unfortunately, there often aren't many runners, which forces him to take into the pocket where, as you mentioned, he's easily nullified more often than not.

I'm not particularly biased when it comes to Eriksen: indeed, the only Spurs AMs I've really been gaga for have been VDV throughout his Spurs career and Bale in 2012-2013. I don't particularly 'like' Eriksen in the same way that I liked those players: unlike VDV, he doesn't wear his heart on his sleeve and represent the very soul of what Tottenham's about(and, to his credit, he's never really pretended to try), and unlike Bale with his screamers and one-man rescue acts, he doesn't really leave stardust all over the place when he plays, being more of the cold, clinical, efficient type, IMO.

But I do recognize that the lad's magnificently talented, and that he's being let down by the players around him. And I think we'll see that in time, either with us (when he gets team-mates that play to his strengths), or with someone else (likewise).

Here are some from Lamela, now I'm not suggesting I think Lamela's a better player but I actually remember him making more of these incisive through-balls than Eriksen. Despite playing quite a bit less than Eriksen last season, Lamela managed seven assists to Eriksen's two and whilst I'm not a massive fan of assist stats they do paint a vague picture in terms of how creative a player is.

I really don't remember too many of these kind of passes from Eriksen.

Here are some from Lamela, now I'm not suggesting I think Lamela's a better player but I actually remember him making more of these incisive through-balls than Eriksen. Despite playing quite a bit less than Eriksen last season, Lamela managed seven assists to Eriksen's two and whilst I'm not a massive fan of assist stats they do paint a vague picture in terms of how creative a player is.

Think Eriksen is a vastly better player than Lamela, so much so that when other players aren't getting themselves into a position to score, Eriksen takes it on himself and delivers.

Additionally think its been done to death, believe 4 of his assists were corners ... (take that however you may)

Think Eriksen is a vastly better player than Lamela, so much so that when other players aren't getting themselves into a position to score, Eriksen takes it on himself and delivers.

Additionally think its been done to death, believe 4 of his assists were corners ... (take that however you may)

I also think Eriksen is a much better player than Lamela overall but whether he's as creative I'm not convinced.

Two of Lamela's seven assists were from corners - vs QPR(h) and Villa(a). 2299 minutes played.

One of Eriksen's two assists was from a corner - Swansea(a). 3129 minutes played.

Eriksen attempts through balls every game and most of them end up at the feet of an opponent. If he started putting them into space and nobody made the run, then start blaming others.

Erisken is out most creative player IMO, maybe Kane would be up there too

He isn't prefect but far better than the others we have

But we're not creating space against teams doing what Leicester did yesterday. Twice we got through them, Chadli smashing it wide and the goal. These teams don't need to come out, if they can hit on the break and score first then it's almost certain they will get s draw. They can sit deep and soak it up.
Eriksen sums us up at the moment, we don't know where and how to play to maximise our strengths

With Eriksen injured, it wasn't such a suprise that Kane failed to have that great an influence against Leicester, those two are on the same wavelength.

So far as the space argument goes, it's entirely down to how disciplined the opponents are. Against Stoke, the CB's were both pulled out of position by Kane and we exploited the space. Then there was that counter where Eriksen played Chadli in with that beautiful lofted ball only for Chadli to mis-control. I've yet to see Lamela demonstrate that sort of vision. I agree that he's the best player in the team for those slide rule passes for the strikers and perhaps playing at the tip of the diamond behind two strikers will suit him, but for me Eriksen has more awareness of everything going on around him.

Are you saying that lamela is of more use to us than Eriksen?

Lamela doesnt come close to eriksen. neither does chadli...no one can give us what eriksen does..somehow we should sell?

weird

It's ridiculous.

We have 2 players with any sort or creative ability and we want to sell one?!

We are dull and predictable enough as it is, let's make us completely unwatchable by flogging Christian.

I think he will be off anyway, I don't think he is happy with the tactics after his comments and he should be playing in the cl

Lamela is a good player, just not suited to this league - it happens.

Neville has suggested Silva is playing some of his best football due to Emirates Marketing Project adding more pace to the team. Hopefully with Clinton and the possibility of Berahino, Eriksen can profit from it aswell.

Neville has suggested Silva is playing some of his best football due to Emirates Marketing Project adding more pace to the team. Hopefully with Clinton and the possibility of Berahino, Eriksen can profit from it aswell.

It's pretty simple isn't it

Give us a variation in our play and those with the skill and craft to create will have more opportunities and scope to do so

I think Kane and Erisken are crying out for someone better to work with them

Back