• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Bentley

Shame it never worked out he seems like a genuinely good guy. I am in the camp that thinks he really was never as good as his price tag and add that to his lack of commitment to becoming a better player it was always going to go wrong. As glad as I am he is off our books, I genuinely hope he can turn his career around although it is looking more unlikely each passing season.

once he worked out he could live the playboy lifestyle without having to put any effort in that was his only goal at Spurs.

Poor Man's David Beckham - decent skill level (not amazing) but lacked Beckham's work ethic.

Don't think it helped coming from Arsenal where the 'Professor' was producing all these world class talents that believed their own hype about being the next big thing and generally weren't all that in reality.

£16,000,000 to sign. Leaving on a free.

Levy must be crying somewhere.

Hahaha, more like released as we aren't getting any offers, gives him a little bonus to prospective clubs and "most" importantly, we get him off our wage bill.

Rebrov..there was hope there. But Bentley just was absolutely the dumbest signing cash wise in the entire history of Spurs. How could you buy someone who fudged off England?

It was so obvious he would not be a star I cannot believe Levy bought him.

But let us not forget he played in many of the last games when we got ECL.

Bet he'll be picked up by Stoke, Sunderland, or one of the promoted clubs, and have a bloody fantastic season. Sometimes I wonder whether the bright lights of Old London Town give us as many problems as they do pulling power.

Not sure that I agree with people about Bentley not succeeding due to him living a playboy lifestyle. To me its simply that he isnt/wasnt that good! He's a wide midfielder but doesnt have any pace nor ability to beat a player - therefore after his first year or two honeymoon period in the PL, defenders worked him out and got close to him so that he couldnt cross or shoot. He was never going to beat the defender so it wasnt the same risk as a defender getting close to say Lennon

Beckham really is the exception in that he's also a not particuarly fast nor tricky wide midfielder yet did succeed

When I saw him in pre-season match v Roma (5-0), I thought he was going to be money well-spent. How wrong I was..
shame, desperately wanted him to come good, alas bar a few game he rarely did.
Thanks for the great goal at Arsenal and the 2nd half apperance v Fulham in the FA Cup that turned the match

Not sure that I agree with people about Bentley not succeeding due to him living a playboy lifestyle. To me its simply that he isnt/wasnt that good! He's a wide midfielder but doesnt have any pace nor ability to beat a player - therefore after his first year or two honeymoon period in the PL, defenders worked him out and got close to him so that he couldnt cross or shoot. He was never going to beat the defender so it wasnt the same risk as a defender getting close to say Lennon

Beckham really is the exception in that he's also a not particuarly fast nor tricky wide midfielder yet did succeed

imo, Bentley failed at Spurs for a few reasons

- Price tag put huge pressure on him, and he tried too hard to impress (some of his best games were when he kept it simple)
- We simply didn't (and still don't) have a front line that attacks the box, is strong in the air and would take advantage of the type of delivery he is good at
- He had Lennon in front of him

Attitude/aptitude may have had some effect, but the reasons above were probably far more influential ...

imo, Bentley failed at Spurs for a few reasons

- Price tag put huge pressure on him, and he tried too hard to impress (some of his best games were when he kept it simple)
- We simply didn't (and still don't) have a front line that attacks the box, is strong in the air and would take advantage of the type of delivery he is good at
- He had Lennon in front of him

Attitude/aptitude may have had some effect, but the reasons above were probably far more influential ...

Very true. There was little point crossing for the likes of Keane and Defoe (or even Pav and Crouch).

Bentley made his name feeding Santa Cruz. Imagine him in the same side now as say Andy Carroll.

Another thing with Bentley - remember the manager and DoF who signed him were also both fired 2 months into his Spurs career.

No pace, no skill, even his set pieces turned out to be pretty rubbish. Glad to see the back of him. The only place I can see him being successful now would be on ITV2, he's born to be in The Only Way Is Essex.

He seemed to think that because he was a Spurs player he had to do loads of fancy tricks and be a flash bastard. I remember one game he came on as a sub kept it simple and did well. Redknapp praised him for that and how he had kept it simple and had done well for the team. Unfortunately, he ignored the advice to keep it simple and his career hit the skids

Back