• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Bentley

Wonder if he's yet learnt when to release the ball rather than constantly take on the next player? That's the only thing blocking a successful return to the Premiership imv because no question he has all the skills.

In hindsight giving a big six year deal was a mistake, as it seems to ruined him. He only seems worried now because that deal is coming to an end. Its sad but imo he's one of those players who is happy to sit and count his money.

In hindsight giving a big six year deal was a mistake, as it seems to ruined him. He only seems worried now because that deal is coming to an end. Its sad but imo he's one of those players who is happy to sit and count his money.
That surely has to be too glib. Okay the dough is massive compensation but what player wouldn't prefer to be out there on the pitch proving himself?

By all accounts he had the talent to succeed and he had opportunities, so you have look at desire and motivation as being his downfall. Why couldnt he work his way back into the team or looked for a move earlier. I can see Redknapps point, the guys career was going downhill fast and he is off trying to set up a restaurant in Spain with his agent. I mean look at King, who had immense struggles to go through just to play and then look at Bentley, what a waste...

By all accounts he had the talent to succeed and he had opportunities, so you have look at desire and motivation as being his downfall. Why couldnt he work his way back into the team or looked for a move earlier. I can see Redknapps point, the guys career was going downhill fast and he is off trying to set up a restaurant in Spain with his agent. I mean look at King, who had immense struggles to go through just to play and then look at Bentley, what a waste...

Because he isn't good enough and because no one was prepared to match his wages.

We paid over the odds for a player who had come off a season of exceptional form. Rather than lose form when he joined us, he just returned to his career average.

That surely has to be too glib. Okay the dough is massive compensation but what player wouldn't prefer to be out there on the pitch proving himself?

I do not think it is glib(had to google the word to know what it means) do you remember the video where he is singing and dancing and acting the fool in the dressing room with gomes, despite the fact that he had not been in the first team for a couple of years. He never cared enough about football but he loved the money from it.

The amount of footballers getting into money problems now tells me that they spend like they think there going to be on the same wages thier whole life. Would not be hard to imagine he over stretched himself on mortgages and now needs to make sure he has some money coming in.

I was a huge fan of his, i thought when he pulled out of the under 21 game for england that he had his head screwed on and he wanted to have a great season it showed a ****y nature but i liked it, sadly he did not have anything to back up his ****y side.

Why i get so angry is because i know how hard i had to push myself self to get where i am in life, life is a struggle and i hate seeing gifted people not put in the effort.

Compare bentley with bale who lots of people have said does so much work on the trainning ground with his free kicks and look how that turned out.

I know nothing about how hard Bentley works at his game or otherwise, but I'd be amazed if it he just couldn't be bothered. NO player likes to be left out in the cold, so it does not make sense to suggest he just sat back and did not try. The fact he likes a prank has nothing to do with it. No one enjoyed a prank more than Gazza but did that affect his game? Not one iota.

Doubtless some react more positively to failure than others. In Bentley's case it may well be he has not worked hard enough, I wouldn't know, and the fact he was eventually discarded by Arry suggests that may have been the case, but in the absence of inside information I don't see how we can be sure.

It seems more likely that the reason Bentley failed has something to do with the way his DNA is wired. It may simply be that Bentley is no more capable of adapting his game to the intense demands of the Premiership than Gareth Bale is of shooting with his right foot or Scottie Parker with either.

Bentley suffered from the same downside as Krancjar in that he is a very gifted footballer but not a good enough athlete to compete at the level we are currently at. Jenas is the complete opposite.

Bentley suffered from the same downside as Krancjar in that he is a very gifted footballer but not a good enough athlete to compete at the level we are currently at. Jenas is the complete opposite.

Good summing up, the modern game is very demanding, I think this is the reason why Hernandez will never be a starter in the Utd side, Wenger is very specific on the physical abilities of his players and for me it shows, his players are always athletically capable.

Exactly. And Jenas is the perfect example of a player who is happy to sit back and count his cash - look at his time at Spurs - he started something like 25 games in the past 4 seasons yet it was only this Jan when he left....and it wouldnt be remotely surprising is Harry is paying him the same as he was on at Spurs

Malouda? Chelsea have offered to let him go on a free but he will not move because he cannot get a deal that will match his present wages so he will spend the whole of this season as a Chelsea player but unregistered

Malouda? Chelsea have offered to let him go on a free but he will not move because he cannot get a deal that will match his present wages so he will spend the whole of this season as a Chelsea player but unregistered

4 hours training a day and the weekends off..... Its just a job after all.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Fapatalk HD

And he still takes to the papers to label Chelsea petty.

It was Bentley's price tag that was his ruination IMO. On the pitch he tried to perform like a 16mil player but he never was one. He over complicated things and made countless bad choices. He had talent but not the smarts to know where his talent stopped and his ego began. He did have one good'ish run in the team in our CL qualification season where it generally put in a good shift and kept it simple. This unfortunately was the exception.
I wonder has any of his loan spells made him realise what has happened to his career and do something to avert the slide.

It was Bentley's price tag that was his ruination IMO. On the pitch he tried to perform like a 16mil player but he never was one. He over complicated things and made countless bad choices. He had talent but not the smarts to know where his talent stopped and his ego began. He did have one good'ish run in the team in our CL qualification season where it generally put in a good shift and kept it simple. This unfortunately was the exception.
I wonder has any of his loan spells made him realise what has happened to his career and do something to avert the slide.

Good post. He is a fine player but not a £17 mill player. Let's hope now he is nearing the end of his contract he will properly start trying to get a few more years in the top divisions

Good summing up, the modern game is very demanding, I think this is the reason why Hernandez will never be a starter in the Utd side, Wenger is very specific on the physical abilities of his players and for me it shows, his players are always athletically capable.

Think AVB may have the same idea: Lloris, Verts, Siggy, Dembele, Dempsey, Ade are all bigger than 6' and fit/mobile players. Holtby isn't big, but very energetic.

Think AVB may have the same idea: Lloris, Verts, Siggy, Dembele, Dempsey, Ade are all bigger than 6' and fit/mobile players. Holtby isn't big, but very energetic.

I know for a fact that before Wenger signs players they have to pass agility and reaction tests, they have a wall with lights that you have to press to turn them off, this test is for goalkeepers, Robbo took this test and failed he had one of the slowest reaction times ever, this was before he signed for us, he also likes his players to be quite intelligent.

I know for a fact that before Wenger signs players they have to pass agility and reaction tests, they have a wall with lights that you have to press to turn them off, this test is for goalkeepers, Robbo took this test and failed he had one of the slowest reaction times ever, this was before he signed for us, he also likes his players to be quite intelligent.

Not sure how we'd manage something like that in the 3.5 minutes between agreeing a signing and the transfer deadline.

Seriously though, the one thing Wenger seems to overlook with his signings is mental toughness. Like us traditionally, they have a lot of fragile players.

Last edited:
Back