• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

AVB

Utter failure in English football. Couldn't care less what he's upto nowadays like some if you lot!! :)

Nice to see AVB having another good season with Zenit. Zenit now leads the Russian PL by 2 points, after winning 8, drawing 2 and getting 26 points in 10 matches. Zenit have already set a new Russian record after winning their first 8 league matches this season. The previous record was 7 wins by Rubin Kazan in 2008. Zenit are also leading their CL group, ahead of Monaco, Bayer Leverkusen and Benfica. Maybe going to a "smaller" league like Russia were not a bad decision by AVB afterall. This has helped him rebuild his managerial career away from the evils of the British media. Former Spurs managers/coaches rarely do well after leaving Spurs. So, it is nice to see AVB doing well there.

I still think AVB would have done better with us if he had been given more time. Really enjoyed his first season with us, especially his wild goal celebrations. Compared this to the boring muted celebrations by Sherwood and Pochettino.

hold up ! i loved Tims Big Ade salute.

I mean Scara made it his avatar:)

No I don't think he is metalgear. Poch intrigues me. I really can see him turning into a shankly, stein or clough.
He's gone to do it his way and take the players with him. Two theories on the swooping players about, the most likely one is looking for combinations. Pairs or groups that work well and cancel out obvious weaknesses in individuals. Kaboul, Bentaleb, mason, Ade and Soldado, maybe not all bad players, don't fit in his system or not experienced enough but can be used in combination with others.
Less likely scenario? playing some of the poorer players, kaboul, paulinho, vlad,( that's in my view obviously) to highlight to DL that they aren't up to it.
I wanted FDB but Poch has really impressed me so far, it's early and maybe I'm naive or to optimistic but I'm hopeful.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

there was nothing shankley, stein or clough about his HT team talk and subsequent subs etc after they scored each time

Unfortunately mr b you are dead right. He has to carry the can for today. Our play is grinding to a halt 30 yards from goal. Lamella is getting isolated , no ones making runs or angles for eriksen and I don't know where chadli has went. Ade is supposed to link, support or stay in the box and he's doing none of these.
Pochs doing with Ade what AVB did last year with Soldado,

No I don't think he is metalgear. Poch intrigues me. I really can see him turning into a shankly, stein or clough.
He's gone to do it his way and take the players with him. Two theories on the swooping players about, the most likely one is looking for combinations. Pairs or groups that work well and cancel out obvious weaknesses in individuals. Kaboul, Bentaleb, mason, Ade and Soldado, maybe not all bad players, don't fit in his system or not experienced enough but can be used in combination with others.
Less likely scenario? playing some of the poorer players, kaboul, paulinho, vlad,( that's in my view obviously) to highlight to DL that they aren't up to it.
I wanted FDB but Poch has really impressed me so far, it's early and maybe I'm naive or to optimistic but I'm hopeful.

I think poch has the makings of a solid manager but I think he is still young and overrated especially on here.

Definitely on the right trajectory, but I think he struggles with balancing short term vs. long term goals, which you'd expect from a young manager in any job.

Many decisions e.g choice of strikers, players out of position, formation and tactics, seem to point to a longer term plan. I only hope levy shares the same timeframe as poch.

Zenit disappointingly crashed out of the Russia Cup R16 2-3 after extra time to a lowly team despite leading 2-0 with 10 mins remaining. Guess what is the name of that lowly team ? Arsenal Tula ! Arsenal seems to be haunting not only Spurs but anyone associated with Spurs as well !](*,)

Anyway, today there will be a top-of-the-table league clash between Zenit and CSKA Moscow. Zenit will go 7 points clear of 2nd-placed CSKA if they win. Let's see ift Zenit and AVB can recover from that disappointing defeat in the Cup.

Guess not! :ross:

Managing in Russia seems to be one step from Oblivion. No one apart from nostalgic spurs fans who subscribed to the cult of AVB will care a jot what he achieves there. If there is any chance he will be taken seriously again, then it is Zenit's performances in the Champions League where he will be judged imo. Personally I don't think he has the mental strength for a top job, forgetting for a moment if he even has the tactical acumen which based on his time in England is debateable.

Managing in Russia seems to be one step from Oblivion. No one apart from nostalgic spurs fans who subscribed to the cult of AVB will care a jot what he achieves there. If there is any chance he will be taken seriously again, then it is Zenit's performances in the Champions League where he will be judged imo. Personally I don't think he has the mental strength for a top job, forgetting for a moment if he even has the tactical acumen which based on his time in England is debateable.

Well, if we are still talking about our former managers and players, that is only because the current players and the manager have not made us forget our past !

Don't know how people can still question AVB's mental strength. Any manager who can get the mentally weak Spurs team to beat their traditional jinx team, ManU, must be mentally strong and deserves full credit ! Unlike Sherwood who beat a mid-table ManU, AVB got us to beat a ManU team who went on to win the league ! For that, AVB deserves a legendary status at Spurs ! People forget he is only 37 now and has plenty of time to learn all the tricks in football.

Well, if we are still talking about our former managers and players, that is only because the current players and the manager have not made us forget our past !

Don't know how people can still question AVB's mental strength. Any manager who can get the mentally weak Spurs team to beat their traditional jinx team, ManU, must be mentally strong and deserves full credit ! Unlike Sherwood who beat a mid-table ManU, AVB got us to beat a ManU team who went on to win the league ! For that, AVB deserves a legendary status at Spurs ! People forget he is only 37 now and has plenty of time to learn all the tricks in football.

Mate, I have read some of your posts re: Poch (who I like very much), and I think you are very fair in your criticism of him on the footballing side. Which makes me even more puzzled how you and so many other posters can be so unswerving to the point of blindness in your support of AVB. I have recently re-read some of the archived AVB thread and it is amazing the following he had from Spurs fans. More than any other manager in our recent history I would say. This a man who failed in his previous job to us and ultimately proved a failure with us. Not because he was not given enough time imo, but because he imploded spectacularly when the going got tough. I believe that AVB was very well supported in the transfer market by Levy (moutinho aside) and we are struggling now partly due to his preference for big units in the middle of the park, Dembele, Capoue, paulinho, chadli etc over technically gifted, passing players such as Huddlestone and vdv, Eriksen being the only exception, Lamela was never really given a chance.

AVB 'legendary'?

LMFAO

AVB is deserved to be called a Spurs legend because :
1.First Spurs manager to beat ManU in 12 years
2.First Spurs manager to beat ManU away in 23 years

History will prove that win caused Ferguson to retire, thus causing the end of the ManU domination. :lol:

Not sure of his legendary status but I do credit him for that excellent football and turning bale into a superstar.

And I disagree with disdain for him on here, he did more than poch with the current lot, and he was right we should have splurged the cash for more established players that would fit his philosophy than gamble on the magnificent seven that can't.

Look at poch, same issues with the current lot despite additions, same dull football with no cutting edge up front, and atrocious defending.

To summarize avb saw clearly what we were without bale, poch is just finding out.

Not sure of his legendary status but I do credit him for that excellent football and turning bale into a superstar.

And I disagree with disdain for him on here, he did more than poch with the current lot, and he was right we should have splurged the cash for more established players that would fit his philosophy than gamble on the magnificent seven that can't.

Look at poch, same issues with the current lot despite additions, same dull football with no cutting edge up front, and atrocious defending.

To summarize avb saw clearly what we were without bale, poch is just finding out.

Eh? AVB was part of the transfer committee that blew 100million and left us with a squad of so many mediocre players . AVB had, following the sale of Bale, pretty much a blank canvas to work with, Poch has inherited somebody else's team. I can't think of any manager in my time as a Spurs fan who had the kind of opportunity that AVB was afforded last season and then blew it. That he did better than Poch with the same set of players was down to some extraordinary good fortune at the start of the season. By the time he left he was struggling every bit as much as Poch is now. But Somehow in the eyes of many posters, Teflon Andre gets to walk away from the mess he helped create, head held high because there is always a convenient alternative who was to blame, be it Levy or Baldini.

Last edited:
First off AVB wanted bale to stay. And we don't know how the committee works, but it was clear to me that AVB didn't have major decision rights. I believe AVB would be happy blowing the cash on 2 or 3 players but it was probably against the committee. Either ways we can't be sure of the situation but we know that avb had to alter the way we play dramatically without bale. At the time almost everyone thought it was poor coaching. But we still suffer the same issues with Poch.

Back