• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

AVB Press Conference

But did he really MLK?

Mate, I wrote on here a couple of weeks ago that it was clearly obvious what happened to him at Chelski, that he had been given a mandate from above, and that while executing that mandate (not, I would agree, with the degree of nous necessary to smooth the bumps) he was ditched at the altar and left with his dingdong in his hand under a gleaming spotlight for one. He was fudged over. Towards the end of his time there I felt sorry for the man but was delighted because it was them!!!!

I can tell you categorically that I was happy he came out and explained what he felt happened to him at Chelski, because it won't happen here. And yes, you can quote me on that.

BTW, and this is not at you mate, but if anyone want a discussion of the Ramos reign, let's start a thread. He changed more things at our club fundamentally than anyone could know. The fact he lost 51 millions pounds, and 43-odd goals, in one summer AND suffered a personal crisis which caused his departure to become a reality always seems to be curiously looked over. More than met the eye to that tenure...I will also say I heard that AVB interviewed a few candidates for coach and that Freund was apparently HIS choice!

It's funny to see some people unable to give AVB unconditional support...

Surely that has to be earned?

And yes, AVB did contradict himself in the media a lot and I expect he will do with us too. All Managers do and it really doesn't bother me either way. Some Managers are cut slack for it, others are not. It all depends on how hypocritical the poster is and how willing they are to gloss over faults of their beloved.

Perhaps it is time to cut André Villas-Boas some slack at Tottenham

This is a Spurs manager who has no other ambition beyond the simple business of becoming the most important person in the known footballing universe

Barney Ronay
guardian.co.uk, Friday 13 July 2012 13.28 BST Comments (17)

Tottenham's new head coach André Villas-Boas checks out the club's new training facility. Photograph: Henry Browne/Action Images
It has been an unhappy week for football, notable not just for the rise of the knobheads at the high court, but also for news of a corruption scandal at Fifa so appallingly entrenched and shameless it still seems almost impossible to grasp fully, like coming across the Queen fly-tipping asbestos waste in a country lane in Kent, or discovering that the world actually is controlled by an ancient cartel of industrialists and that they've decided to just come out with it and stop pretending and maybe even do a behind‑the-scenes reality TV show.

Against this backdrop of hideousness there was something oddly heartening about the return in full-page panoramic close-up of André Villas-Boas, now formally in place as the new head coach of Tottenham Hotspur, and appearing, austerely suited in the middle of all this wretchedness, like an unexpected knock at the door from the local curate, who against all expectation you find yourself delightedly ushering inside.

Welcome back, André. It has become fashionable to see Villas-Boas as a rather tarnished figure, to recall the frictions of his time at Chelsea, to balk at that familiar air of manicured expectancy. And to portray him instead as a kind of weak-chinned, own brand José Mourinho, Donovan to Mourinho's Dylan, a provincial Wimpy bar to Mourinho's gleaming McDonald's, a managerial Sindy doll of prodigious inauthenticity.

This is more than a little unfair. If nothing else there is much to admire in the way Villas-Boas is still out there, still thrusting himself to the front of things, displaying the unshakable backseat extroversion that all the best managers have, as he winces and struts centre stage in skinny-trousered splendour, looking each time a little more like a tiny little dancing soldier on top of a wedding cake, or, increasingly, like a particularly convincing waxwork of himself.

Plus of course he is fascinating to listen to, gushing forth unstoppably with the kind of words and phrases that may, in isolation, mean something, and which, if you squint, do actually seem to mean something, but which in fact don't mean anything at all, beyond a generalised conviction that the collective is strong and we have a good feeling for this project to achieve high levels of positive action within the shared beliefs of the group. This kind of talk is pretty much unique to Villas‑Boas, the sound of a man speaking with admirable fluency in a language not his own, but about concepts that are themselves fatally vague: flimflam at one confusing remove, but still somehow both convincing and also endearing, like watching a very earnest android attempting to learn how to dance.

He is, though, entirely genuine when it comes to his own basic footballing obsession. It is not hard to see what drives Villas-Boas. Here finally is a man who is not in it for the money, who is instead consumed by football, or at least by his own aspirational, hobnobbing notion of what football may amount to. This is perhaps why he cuts such a deliciously moreish figure.

Just as successful sitcoms tend to be based around characters who are trapped in some way, unable to escape into any life other than a father-son rag and bone business or a chat show host who has already bounced back, so Villas-Boas totes about his own wonderfully gripping sense of circumscribed conviction. It is completely impossible to imagine him doing anything else. This is a manager who has no other earthly ambition beyond the simple business of becoming the most important person in the known footballing universe.

It is genuinely ennobling, this belief in the basic sanctity of the managerial mission. "We must build on Harry's great work," Villas-Boas said this week, bestowing an unexpected gravity on the legacy of a manager who has traditionally been a kind of footballing Cat in the Hat, a tousled and infectious improviser who could probably cook you the most brilliant meal you've ever tasted simply by hurling everything in the fridge into a massive bowl and then flambéing it over a raging fire built from every stick of furniture you own, before abruptly disappearing just as you come round, dazed and hungover, face down in the ashes of what was once your kitchen.

What kind of manager is he anyway? Judging by the abundance of pre-emptive analysis this week it seems Villas-Boas likes a three-man or perhaps four-man midfield that can play fast and also slow, rigid but also fluid, energetic but also patient, tall and also simultaneously short. He likes attacking full-backs who defend and defensive midfielders who attack. He favours goalkeepers who leap and spring and save penalties. He insists on having strikers who score goals. And no doubt if he can set all these aspects of his grand plan in train at once Spurs can expect to win most matches comfortably, finding themselves at least eight or nine goals up by half-time against a series of tearfully demoralised opponents.

Beyond this, perhaps the most important thing about Villas-Boas is that he is interested in systems, the kind of coach who doesn't seek to adapt and tinker but instead to impose a template for success from his own pre-cast theory and methods. It is a common trait among that new breed of technophile manager, the coach who sets his sights not on being louder or more nebulously inspirational than anyone else in the room, but on being more methodical, more comprehensively dossiered-up, on calibrating most effectively the cost-to-value ratios of his players.

It isn't hard to see why this kind of manager is attractive to a club like Spurs. It is perhaps the only sensible response to the annihilating forces of footballing billionairedom. Managers like Jürgen Klopp and Marcelo Bielsa – not to mention Villas-Boas at Porto – have all succeeded recently at clubs outside the carbon circle, or beyond the uber-marketed regional superpower. This is where it's at for the ambitious young Euro-manager. And while it is received opinion that Villas-Boas was simply the wrong man for Chelsea, it is equally true that Chelsea was an unflattering fit for Villas-Boas, a spendthrift club of enduring player-celebrity that was always going to chafe against his vision of success through micro-managed control-freakery.

That sense of galvanising mystique is also a part of this new breed of manager: a certain style, a way of talking, an air of stossily tailored otherness. So perhaps it is time to cut Villas-Boas some slack. There is an alluring purity of purpose, even in his oddities. And while his own semi-fluent vision of a system within the spirit of the collective to achieve the search for titles that powers the group may or may not work out, it will undoubtedly be fun – and also oddly refreshing – to watch him try.

Must admit, I thought that article was a good read, not because it was especially positive on AVB or Spurs, but because it was quite funny, quite well done and did capture some of his 'oddities'.

''Plus of course he is fascinating to listen to, gushing forth unstoppably with the kind of words and phrases that may, in isolation, mean something, and which, if you squint, do actually seem to mean something, but which in fact don't mean anything at all, beyond a generalised conviction that the collective is strong and we have a good feeling for this project to achieve high levels of positive action within the shared beliefs of the group.'' :ross: I actually think the people that are constantly going on about his choice of language are fudging annoying, considering English isn't his first language and his choice of words may not be what we would use - but that made me laugh.

Also..''What kind of manager is he anyway? Judging by the abundance of pre-emptive analysis this week it seems Villas-Boas likes a three-man or perhaps four-man midfield that can play fast and also slow, rigid but also fluid, energetic but also patient, tall and also simultaneously short. He likes attacking full-backs who defend and defensive midfielders who attack. He favours goalkeepers who leap and spring and save penalties. He insists on having strikers who score goals.'' Hehe.

Barney Ronay
guardian.co.uk, Friday 13 July 2012 13.28 BST Comments (17)

It is genuinely ennobling, this belief in the basic sanctity of the managerial mission. "We must build on Harry's great work," Villas-Boas said this week, bestowing an unexpected gravity on the legacy of a manager who has traditionally been a kind of footballing Cat in the Hat, a tousled and infectious improviser who could probably cook you the most brilliant meal you've ever tasted simply by hurling everything in the fridge into a massive bowl and then flambéing it over a raging fire built from every stick of furniture you own, before abruptly disappearing just as you come round, dazed and hungover, face down in the ashes of what was once your kitchen.

Controversial in this forum, but :lol:

what a cleverly written article, who is this Barney Ronay, i never thought journos like this still existed

It's the same ones who were devastated to see Redknapp go although claimed to support the new manager no-matter who. Righto

Careful with those sweeping generalisations. I supported Redknapp but accept that if his relationship with Levy was broken beyond repair then it was time for him to go. I had my doubts about appointing AVB but now that he is our manager he has my unconditional support.

Careful with those sweeping generalisations. I supported Redknapp but accept that if his relationship with Levy was broken beyond repair then it was time for him to go. I had my doubts about appointing AVB but now that he is our manager he has my unconditional support.

There is that word again. Surely that has to be earned? AVB has my support, but unconditional? No he does not. I do have conditions that I want met for him to maintain my support. For example someone with unconditional support, we'd continue to support even if we got relegated.

Barney Ronay is a fantastically good journo. One of the few I actually follow closely. His pieces are nearly always both hilarious and relevant.

There is that word again. Surely that has to be earned? AVB has my support, but unconditional? No he does not. I do have conditions that I want met for him to maintain my support. For example someone with unconditional support, we'd continue to support even if we got relegated.

If he plays Benny in goal, Lennon in central defence and Ledley and Parker up front against Saudi Sportswashing Machine next month I might revise my opinion but right now he has my full support.

Assuming that unconditional support right now means unconditional support in the future?

It does not.

If he plays Benny in goal, Lennon in central defence and Ledley and Parker up front against Saudi Sportswashing Machine next month I might revise my opinion but right now he has my full support.

That's better ;) He has my full support too but it's not unconditional. I don't think I've ever given a Spurs Manager (or player!) in my adult life unconditional support!

But did he really MLK?

Mate, I wrote on here a couple of weeks ago that it was clearly obvious what happened to him at Chelski, that he had been given a mandate from above, and that while executing that mandate (not, I would agree, with the degree of nous necessary to smooth the bumps) he was ditched at the altar and left with his dingdong in his hand under a gleaming spotlight for one. He was fudged over. Towards the end of his time there I felt sorry for the man but was delighted because it was them!!!!

I can tell you categorically that I was happy he came out and explained what he felt happened to him at Chelski, because it won't happen here. And yes, you can quote me on that.

BTW, and this is not at you mate, but if anyone want a discussion of the Ramos reign, let's start a thread. He changed more things at our club fundamentally than anyone could know. The fact he lost 51 millions pounds, and 43-odd goals, in one summer AND suffered a personal crisis which caused his departure to become a reality always seems to be curiously looked over. More than met the eye to that tenure...I will also say I heard that AVB interviewed a few candidates for coach and that Freund was apparently HIS choice!

It's funny to see some people unable to give AVB unconditional support...

Interesting Post Steff. I am always shocked at bile shown towards Ramos. People obviously forget that carling cup run which matched the early 80s when I first started suporting Spurs. From that run I really thought he was going to bring us toe to toe with the SKY4. The way Redknapp slagged off his predescesor was despicable - Going on about 2 points from 8 games and how Ramos had bought Bent and Pav who couldn't play together. At least AVB has shown more class and said good things about Redknapp. So glad he has left the club such a malign character. The only part of your post I disagree with is saying the disastrous start was mainly due to losing Berba and Keane because we started the slide immediately after the carling cup win. I'd be interested in hearing your info on Ramos pls pm me - I was gutted when he didn't work out.

Interesting Post Steff. I am always shocked at bile shown towards Ramos. People obviously forget that carling cup run which matched the early 80s when I first started suporting Spurs. From that run I really thought he was going to bring us toe to toe with the SKY4. The way Redknapp slagged off his predescesor was despicable - Going on about 2 points from 8 games and how Ramos had bought Bent and Pav who couldn't play together. At least AVB has shown more class and said good things about Redknapp. So glad he has left the club such a malign character. The only part of your post I disagree with is saying the disastrous start was mainly due to losing Berba and Keane because we started the slide immediately after the carling cup win. I'd be interested in hearing your info on Ramos pls pm me - I was gutted when he didn't work out.

Never heard anything re excuse for Ramos, no idea what Steff is talking about.

The reason for the attitude towards Ramos is obvious for those of us who sat through the games from the Carling Cup win to his firing. In terms of performance vs. the quality of the team, it is the worst display I have ever seen from a Spurs squad, completely disjointed, players looked like they had never met far less played with each other, subs shaking their heads coming on the pitch, the wheels were completely off the wagon.

In 25+ years at Spurs, that was the first time I was convinced that had we not fired him, we would have been in a relegation battle.

Back