• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

AVB Press Conference

The way Redknapp slagged off his predescesor was despicable - Going on about 2 points from 8 games and how Ramos had bought Bent and Pav who couldn't play together. At least AVB has shown more class and said good things about Redknapp.

Ramos wasn't shy in criticising Jol. The comments about nutrition spring immediately to mind.

If he plays Benny in goal, Lennon in central defence and Ledley and Parker up front against Saudi Sportswashing Machine next month I might revise my opinion but right now he has my full support.

Exactly!!! He has our full support until he does something to lose it!! Respect is earned.

To be honest Milo I can't remember Ramos saying anything about Jol not directly, his English was poor. In any case he didn't go on every time a microphone was shoved in his face. Raziel I was at a lot of those games. I agree towards the end it went wrong. But up to the carling cup win I think you are harsh in your assessment. I remember the 2-1 away win to Mr Beloved Redknapp's Portsmouth, the narrow loss at the Emirates, the 1-1 with Man utd. These were Spurs at their best and I've been supporting Spurs since 1980.

Having encountered Jenas some time after the Carling Cup win, he said that everyone basically shut off afterwards. The start to the following season was horrendous though.

Interesting Post Steff. I am always shocked at bile shown towards Ramos. People obviously forget that carling cup run which matched the early 80s when I first started suporting Spurs. From that run I really thought he was going to bring us toe to toe with the SKY4. The way Redknapp slagged off his predescesor was despicable - Going on about 2 points from 8 games and how Ramos had bought Bent and Pav who couldn't play together. At least AVB has shown more class and said good things about Redknapp. So glad he has left the club such a malign character. The only part of your post I disagree with is saying the disastrous start was mainly due to losing Berba and Keane because we started the slide immediately after the carling cup win. I'd be interested in hearing your info on Ramos pls pm me - I was gutted when he didn't work out.

To be honest, on paper maybe. In reality, no chance. Beating Chelsea in the final was very very sweet, but so few teams take the League Cup seriously anymore that winning it doesn't prove a thing (hence why King Kenny got the boot despite bringing silverware to Liverpool).

The slide actually started before the League Cup final win IMO. We hadn't played well since the start of the year. But yes even with the so called golden partnership of Berbatov and Keane, we only won 3 of our last 12 Premiership matches that year (and only 6 of our last 19) and they weren't exactly the toughest run of 12 games you'll ever get either. The 4-1 away defeat to Birmingham after we won the final really shocked and disappointed me.

What I never understood about Ramos after the win was the lack of experimentation. When he first arrived he was doing some of the weirdest brick I've ever seen tactically and somehow it worked. It actually really made me start questioning what little I do know about football because the stuff he was doing shouldn't have been working (logically anyway) and yet we were getting results. Then after the League Cup final he kept doing it and we turned to absolute brick. And then I realised we had probably got lucky prior to that and the tactical mess that I thought should have been occurring really did start to occur. But what I found odd was all the experimentation with players pre-League Cup final ceased after we won it and he picked the same players (many out of position) week in, week out for the rest of the season. I just didn't get that, because I figured we were safe in the league, weren't going to get top four, but had qualified for Europe so why not experiment a little?

Regardless of anything though, 2pts from 8 games (especially a run of 8 games that on paper weren't that tough) and the complete disregard to plugging some holes in the team (maybe Comolli's fault more than Ramos's) meant he had to go. I don't think many Spurs fans show bile to Ramos. I certainly don't hate him, or even dislike him. The whole Ramos chapter in Spurs history I can only describe as bizarre......

To be honest, on paper maybe. In reality, no chance. Beating Chelsea in the final was very very sweet, but so few teams take the League Cup seriously anymore that winning it doesn't prove a thing (hence why King Kenny got the boot despite bringing silverware to Liverpool).

The slide actually started before the League Cup final win IMO. We hadn't played well since the start of the year. But yes even with the so called golden partnership of Berbatov and Keane, we only won 3 of our last 12 Premiership matches that year (and only 6 of our last 19) and they weren't exactly the toughest run of 12 games you'll ever get either. The 4-1 away defeat to Birmingham after we won the final really shocked and disappointed me.

What I never understood about Ramos after the win was the lack of experimentation. When he first arrived he was doing some of the weirdest brick I've ever seen tactically and somehow it worked. It actually really made me start questioning what little I do know about football because the stuff he was doing shouldn't have been working (logically anyway) and yet we were getting results. Then after the League Cup final he kept doing it and we turned to absolute brick. And then I realised we had probably got lucky prior to that and the tactical mess that I thought should have been occurring really did start to occur. But what I found odd was all the experimentation with players pre-League Cup final ceased after we won it and he picked the same players (many out of position) week in, week out for the rest of the season. I just didn't get that, because I figured we were safe in the league, weren't going to get top four, but had qualified for Europe so why not experiment a little?

Regardless of anything though, 2pts from 8 games (especially a run of 8 games that on paper weren't that tough) and the complete disregard to plugging some holes in the team (maybe Comolli's fault more than Ramos's) meant he had to go. I don't think many Spurs fans show bile to Ramos. I certainly don't hate him, or even dislike him. The whole Ramos chapter in Spurs history I can only describe as bizarre......

Matter of opinion MK beating Emirates Marketing Project, then Arse 5-1 and chelsea in the final would go down in most Spurs fans memories surely as much as our Champions League run. The Carling cup has become more important in recent years as it is the only trophy 95% of clubs in PL inc us, Liverpool and Arse can actually win. I agree though it was the right thing to do to get rid at the time. I was still gutted though.

Ramos wasn't shy in criticising Jol. The comments about nutrition spring immediately to mind.

Every single one of them has 'criticized' their predecessor. It's pretty hard to avoid mentioning something about them, esp with what passes for journalism these days. After all, managers have to justify why they are not the same as their sacked predecessor...why Levy may have sacked them and why they will do better, that they have identified the problems in our squad, etc.

HR couldn't exactly say that Ramos's points haul was anything but disastrous (because it's not like you could say it was perfectly fine and dandy, now could you?) and I think his comments about Bent and Pav were directed more at Comolli and Levy than anyone else. However, his '2 points from 8' spiel had more to do with making himself look good, and to excuse himself when we were poor, than anything else.

AVB has had no reason to criticize HR given the reasonable results and decent squad he's been left with. And at his first and only press conference so far he's already said that Harry couldn't develop a consistent winning mentality - ie that Harry would talk big about winning the league but rapidly change his tune the next week. This is a fair comment, but I would say that most things our managers have said have been fair, even if the motivations behind saying them have been self-serving.

I think we are reading too much into the "character" of managers (and players!) when we know very little about them and what goes on in their private lives. This is a symptom of the soap opera that is football media, that demands heroes and villains when everyone just kicks a ball around a field for ninety minutes and goes home. When we like them we tend to make every excuse for them, and when we don't like them we'll magnify their every fault and read insinuations in every word. I would rather focus on the football than the man when possible.

I'll answer both MLK and Robospur here...first off, agree with pretty much everything here mate, 'tis a fair appraisal. I think what really undid Ramos was that his poor English left him reliant on Poyet a lot (make no mistake, Ramos spoke better English than people knew, he just wanted to avoid the press, but he didn't have a grasp of 'dressing room' level English so-to-speak). As I heard it, his personal problems back in Spain started to occur that Spring, so I concluded that between those, language, Poyet seeing a chance to move in, a total lack of professionalism within the squad and then the strikers leaving, his goose was properly cooked. I think responsibility has to lie with him for not shaping up the mental attitude of the squad post-CCF, that 4-1 was a disgrace I agree, and there were plenty of others subsequently. In the end, his departure not only allowed us to get in the man we absolutely needed at that time (and the stylistic opposite of Ramos) but also gave Ramos relief. It's why he's never ever spoken poorly of us. I would agree it is an absolutely bizarre period of our history, but what he initially achieved was nothing short of great IMHO.

Every single one of them has 'criticized' their predecessor. It's pretty hard to avoid mentioning something about them, esp with what passes for journalism these days. After all, managers have to justify why they are not the same as their sacked predecessor...why Levy may have sacked them and why they will do better, that they have identified the problems in our squad, etc.

HR couldn't exactly say that Ramos's points haul was anything but disastrous (because it's not like you could say it was perfectly fine and dandy, now could you?) and I think his comments about Bent and Pav were directed more at Comolli and Levy than anyone else. However, his '2 points from 8' spiel had more to do with making himself look good, and to excuse himself when we were poor, than anything else.

AVB has had no reason to criticize HR given the reasonable results and decent squad he's been left with. And at his first and only press conference so far he's already said that Harry couldn't develop a consistent winning mentality - ie that Harry would talk big about winning the league but rapidly change his tune the next week. This is a fair comment, but I would say that most things our managers have said have been fair, even if the motivations behind saying them have been self-serving.

I think we are reading too much into the "character" of managers (and players!) when we know very little about them and what goes on in their private lives. This is a symptom of the soap opera that is football media, that demands heroes and villains when everyone just kicks a ball around a field for ninety minutes and goes home. When we like them we tend to make every excuse for them, and when we don't like them we'll magnify their every fault and read insinuations in every word. I would rather focus on the football than the man when possible.

I agree with every word of that

press lapping it up:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/f...h-7944394.html

he is very articulate, understands the club mission and sets high targets for himself - love him already!​

He is under no illusions about the expectations and has made it clear he wants Spurs, whose last silverware was the League Cup in 2008, to compete in four competitions, including the much-maligned Europa League. He admits, however, that winning the league title, at least in his first season, will be a tall order. "It's obviously a tremendous task due to the competition and a huge step to bridge the gap, but if we want to go forward we have to give it a go. Four years is a long time without a trophy given all the investment. The chairman wants continuous success and that means putting trophies in the cabinet."

The 34-year-old Portuguese may have been a surprise choice for many Spurs fans given his baptism of fire at Stamford Bridge. But facing the media at Tottenham's new state-of-the-art training ground last week, he displayed a steely edge, allied to hurt pride and a fierce drive.
He says he has thought long and hard about what happened at Chelsea, has learned from his mistakes – not least in terms of freezing out players – and, crucially, was "meticulous" in deciding his next step to make sure he was joining the right club. Tottenham, he argues mischievously, has far greater tradition than Chelsea and is more suited to his style of management.

"It was never in my mind to get back so quickly. Is Tottenham a better fit for me? Put it this way: I think there is more a sense of belonging here. The club is full of tradition and this is what I have to admire. Chelsea has its tradition too, but it has changed dramatically since 2003 when the club was bought."

And a sense, he acknowledges, that he is on trial. "The departure of Harry might leave some fans reluctant but that always happens when there are managerial changes because fans create empathy. But I have arrived much better prepared. All of us are emotional people. We all respond to sentiments of revenge but it would be a wrong step if I take things that way. This football club is far more important than myself. I want to make sure we move forwards not backwards but not make it some kind of personal mission."

Although he is convinced he is now in the right place to show what he can do, the former Porto boss must be aware of Tottenham's track record in sacking managers. He is their ninth in the last 15 years.

"This club has a reputation for the way they play. Okay you could never say they are the Barcelona of England but you can say there is a wonderful history regarding attractive football. I know there are responsibilities that come with this job and I will be the first to accept failure if that's what happens. Obviously Harry left the club with great success and it's understandable that to do better is what is demanded. Whether I can do that,we will see next May."

Not to mention AVB has already made some pretty outlandish remarks in the press and had a few sly digs at Redknapp already. He'll be forgiven because he isn't Redknapp but as I said at the time all Managers do it when a microphone is stuck in their face.

Not to mention AVB has already made some pretty outlandish remarks in the press and had a few sly digs at Redknapp already. He'll be forgiven because he isn't Redknapp but as I said at the time all Managers do it when a microphone is stuck in their face.

So we're on the same page, what were those "pretty outlandish remarks" and "sly digs"?

AVB impressed by Levy vision

Manager feels supported by Spurs chairman

Last Updated: July 15, 2012 10:40am

The 34-year-old Portuguese coach went to Chelsea last summer full of ambitions to take the Blues forwards.

However, he was sacked by owner Roman Abramovich just eight months into the job, with his team outside the top four of the Premier League.

Under the guidance of then interim coach Roberto Di Matteo, Chelsea went on to win both the FA Cup and UEFA Champions League.

Backing

"He knows what he is doing, approaching the market in a different way, is a person of great football understanding and he had the effect of giving me the assurances I wanted in terms of building something."
Andre Villas-Boas Quotes of the week

Villas-Boas, however, has no doubts his fresh relationship with Levy will allow their plans to take Spurs forwards to flourish.

"I met the chairman, and saw the way he goes about his business at the club. He knows what he is doing, approaching the market in a different way, is a person of great football understanding and he had the effect of giving me the assurances I wanted in terms of building something," said Villas-Boas, who has agreed a three-year deal at White Hart Lane to replace Harry Redknapp.

"Tottenham are linked with great football in the past. It is something they have always valued highly. There is a wonderful history of attractive football, and Bill Nicholson left these messages of football well played and doing things in style, which is what I want to achieve as well."

Villas-Boas added: "With an owner that is involved on a daily basis at the football club, with his knowledge, that is the main difference.

"The structures that surround Tottenham are extremely good. There are competent people in and around the football club. The club is driven towards success, and everybody knows they must play a part in achieving that success.

"They are not looking for certain spacegoats, and when so many people are striving forward, it makes your job easier."

The manner of Villas-Boas' dismissal at Stamford Bridge in March continues to sit uneasy with the former Porto boss.

"The thing is that what we were doing (at Chelsea) in terms of the project, words did not meet the actions, so I think I was cut short," he said.

"All of us are emotional, and we all respond in a different way to sentiments of ambition and revenge, but it would be a wrong step if I were to take it that way.

"This club is much more important than me and what I have to do is try to take them to success and not make it a personal issue

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11675/7902339/AVB-impressed-by-Levy-vision

he did say something like that Leeds, well alluded to it anyway

can't quite remember it enough to summarize

Said something along the lines of 'it's all very well saying you're challenging for the title one day and then saying fourth is good enough the next', I believe.

Back