• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Antonio Conte - officially NOT the coach of THFC

Interesting line from Conte that emerged recently, talking about squad mentality and the atmosphere at training.
"The situation has to be different when you win and lose. Otherwise, if the atmosphere is always the same, always joy and celebrations, it will be very difficult to install the right mentality. You have to suffer. If you don’t suffer, it means that you don’t want to improve your winning mentality.”

Our guys maybe are too happy, they enjoy training and working together and that cohesive spirit may sometimes have helped prevent the sting of defeats hurting as much as it should.
I wonder how Conte practically goes about changing that mentality. What will he do to help them suffer after a loss?

Interesting line from Conte that emerged recently, talking about squad mentality and the atmosphere at training.
"The situation has to be different when you win and lose. Otherwise, if the atmosphere is always the same, always joy and celebrations, it will be very difficult to install the right mentality. You have to suffer. If you don’t suffer, it means that you don’t want to improve your winning mentality.”

Our guys maybe are too happy, they enjoy training and working together and that cohesive spirit may sometimes have helped prevent the sting of defeats hurting as much as it should.
I wonder how Conte practically goes about changing that mentality. What will he do to help them suffer after a loss?

1. Set up an interview with an Italian journalist after a defeat or two.
2. Purposefully use ambiguous words that can be taken out of context and present English media with the chance to report what he said in a negative light.
3. Await the inevitable reporting. Do nothing.
4. Clear up the "misunderstanding" in the next press conference, ensure privately that the players understand that you rate them.
5. Quietly enjoy that the suffering you went through after recent defeats now has been shared by the players.
6. For the next defeat/draw throw in a slight remark or glance at the players reminding them of the previous suffering to make sure it's reactivated.
7. Await as nature takes it's course, habituating suffering as a response to losing football matches.
8. Further galvanise this through extreme joy when winning to make the contrast even starker.

Just to be clear. I'm writing this half jokingly, but only half.

Needed to come up with a way of playing that isn't so reliant on wingbacks for us to have done anything this season- a little dissapointing that we persist with a style that doesn't suit our players as it's costing us atm - Paratichi better be looking at 2 new starting wingbacks for the summer

Outplayed by Southampton, Wolves, Burnley. Beating the best team in the league counts for very little when we keep imploding against bottom half trash.

6 defeats in the last 10 matches.

New manager bounce ended, team returning to its natural level - mid-table. Hardly surprising, although you'd be forgiven for hoping we could defy gravity a bit longer.

Donkeys stay donkeys - we need to clear out Winks, Davies, Dier, Royal, even the likes of Lucas, before we can really dream again with a solid foundation.

All these blokes (save for Royal) were benchwarmers when we were good. We need to buy players that make them benchwarmers again. And then we just need to clear them out, permanently - I'd argue that the quality of out bench held us back when we were last challenging, so these blokes need to be cycled out completely.

Better players replace them, forcing them to the bench -> then better players replace those players, forcing them to the bench and forcing this lot out.

Then, we have the quality to challenge. But that will cost plenty of money, which means it will take years and years, if at all.

We'll see if the clearout happens - until then, we muddle on like this, winning the occasional thriller, mostly just losing.

As pointed out above the system he plays is critical to having decent wing backs . Reggie is ok but rest of them are not up to that task.

Agreed. A decent RWB would make a great difference. Reggie is fine for now.

I'm not sure I see us going 4-2-3-1 as I dont think we have the right balance in the '3' or depth in those positions. I'd give DOherty a run in the RWB postion given that at least he's played well there before (at Wolves)

I'm not sure I see us going 4-2-3-1 as I dont think we have the right balance in the '3' or depth in those positions. I'd give DOherty a run in the RWB postion given that at least he's played well there before (at Wolves)
Doherty can do no worse than Royal .

Our league record with him playing RWB is excellent
Unfortunately it’s less than 10 games

One of the biggest problems with that system is when we’re defending he pulls Son or Kane back to mark the wide forward (into a wing back position). The wing back then goes in to mark a forward, and we then have 2 spare centre backs. Why!? When we then turn the ball over we have nobody to pass to up field.

On the flip side we’ve got Romero trying to overlap and join in forward moves. The bloke was playing central CB last year.

As I said last week, we’re playing a system that gets the worst out of most of the players on the pitch.

One of the biggest problems with that system is when we’re defending he pulls Son or Kane back to mark the wide forward (into a wing back position). The wing back then goes in to mark a forward, and we then have 2 spare centre backs. Why!? When we then turn the ball over we have nobody to pass to up field.

On the flip side we’ve got Romero trying to overlap and join in forward moves. The bloke was playing central CB last year.

As I said last week, we’re playing a system that gets the worst out of most of the players on the pitch.

but have we not seen worse from these players in other systems?

Conte: "We are doing everything to change situation but it's not enough. Four defeats out of five is not good enough. This doesn't happen to me.
"Maybe I'm not so good. Tottenham called me to change things but I'm too honest."

More weird post match comments. Maybe I’m not so good . Really why sulk . He said patience is needed himself . He’s not showing any This doesn’t happen to me. Welcome to Spurs .

Back