• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Antonio Conte - officially NOT the coach of THFC

Isn't the reverse true. Our defence is suspect so going for the first goal is actually taking a bigger risk... Especially if we concede first.

I've seen enough to think that we should only be a counter attacking team this season and willingly cede possession to draw them in so that we can spring counter attacks ala vs. Emirates Marketing Project.

Problem comes when teams won't let us do that, when they themselves will be happy to cede possession and counter attack.

Burnley will probably hoof it long as soon as they get the chance while staying fairly balanced at the back. We can try to draw them out with passing deeper, perhaps they will try to press us at times and if we can pay through that we can get pseudo counter attacking opportunities

We must improve on our ability to create chances in other phases though. With the City game out of the way I imagine it's high up Conte's list of priorities.

A chance to show progress against Burnley.

Problem comes when teams won't let us do that, when they themselves will be happy to cede possession and counter attack.

Burnley will probably hoof it long as soon as they get the chance while staying fairly balanced at the back. We can try to draw them out with passing deeper, perhaps they will try to press us at times and if we can pay through that we can get pseudo counter attacking opportunities

We must improve on our ability to create chances in other phases though. With the City game out of the way I imagine it's high up Conte's list of priorities.

Burnley played great football vs Brighton…. Just saying

What if we pretend to cede possession and keep a low block throughout the game

Lazy, perhaps, but I think it's just as much about the quality of our play.

Remember City play like this for the majority of the time in the major their game, and they don't concede a lot of goals.

Our players keeping the ball until they get out under pressure, having the composure and vision to find the right pass. Then quality with the pass.

That pass from Davies to Kane is a thing of absolute beauty. Timing, weight, accuracy, all spot on perfect. Yeah, they could have defended it better, but we're posing a real difficult challenge that teams won't be able to deal with every time.
I agree it's the quality, but it's a known quality.

The last 2/3 seasons if you marshall Kane Son to the best of your ability, your a long way to stopping us.

Cede possession as in launch it long, keep it steady and balanced at the back? Then wait for them to do the same?

Will be a wonderfully boring game if so.
No, cede possession as in don't push our back line right up to half way, sit deeper and play in a way that encourages them to come forwards and believe they should commit THEIR defence up to half way, so we can then break on them like we just did vs City.

Sometimes we push a team back into their box, then act surprised there is no space and too many defenders to get through! You have to encourage them forwards and break their pattern so you find a weakness to exploit.

No, cede possession as in don't push our back line right up to half way, sit deeper and play in a way that encourages them to come forwards and believe they should commit THEIR defence up to half way, so we can then break on them like we just did vs City.

Sometimes we push a team back into their box, then act surprised there is no space and too many defenders to get through! You have to encourage them forwards and break their pattern so you find a weakness to exploit.

We should try, and I think we do try. I think that means keeping possession though. Go back to go forwards kind of thing. Some teams won't bite though.

Tactically that can work against some teams but the likes of Burnley are probably never going to have their backline on the halfway line. A team like City who press high and hard can be passed around due to the way they swarm the player on the ball. Burnley defend deeper and play a more man to man or zonal responsibity system.

What we can take from the City match is the quick transition and spreading of the play. General quicker thinking and action, we need to play as if Burnley are indeed pressing high and fast. When we labour with the ball that's when we come up against road blocks.

Tactically that can work against some teams but the likes of Burnley are probably never going to have their backline on the halfway line. A team like City who press high and hard can be passed around due to the way they swarm the player on the ball. Burnley defend deeper and play a more man to man or zonal responsibity system.

What we can take from the City match is the quick transition and spreading of the play. General quicker thinking and action, we need to play as if Burnley are indeed pressing high and fast. When we labour with the ball that's when we come up against road blocks.

What I hope we can take from the City game is the ability to play through pressure. Along with breaking down teams that sit back that's been a weakness for us for ages.

If we can do that like we did against City that will be huge. Probably won't help us break down Burnley, but one step at the time and we'll face plenty of high pressing situations at the season progresses.

Back