• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

3rd place is not out of sight

That's how close we are to as good a finish as we've had since 1961/62. 50 years. And yet apparently it's all so awful that we should be stringing people up from trees.

Er. We finished runners-up in 62/63 and 3rd in 66/67, 70/71, 84/85, 86/87, 89/90.

Er. We finished runners-up in 62/63 and 3rd in 66/67, 70/71, 84/85, 86/87, 89/90.

I said "as good as we've finished" - 3rd - since 61/62, which I thought was our last 2nd place. I stand corrected that it was 62/63.

I said "as good as we've finished" - 3rd - since 61/62, which I thought was our last 2nd place. I stand corrected that it was 62/63.

I still fail to see why you refer to 61/62 when we've finished 3rd as recently as 89/90.

I still fail to see why you refer to 61/62 when we've finished 3rd as recently as 89/90.

Ah for crying out loud mate.

The poster said if we'd beated Norwich we'd be 1 point behind Arse with 1 game in hand. I responded: "That's how close we are to as good a finish as we've had since 1961/62".

Notwithstanding the mistaken date, 3rd is indeed as good a finish as we've had since 62/63.

Ok. I did get it, now I don't again.

If we had beaten Norwich we would still be 4th, a point behind 3rd. If you are saying that's how close we are to as good a finish I'm assuming you mean 3rd as the finish and not 2nd. In which case 1989/90 would be the correct year to state as we are miles from finishing anywhere near 2nd.

Nevermind, maybe it's just me.

If we had beaten Norwich we would still be 4th, a point behind 3rd. If you are saying that's how close we are to as good a finish I'm assuming you mean 3rd as the finish and not 2nd. In which case 1989/90 would be the correct year to state as we are miles from finishing anywhere near 2nd.

If we had won against Norwich we would have been in a good position, comparable to some of the best since the 60s.

How's that?

If we had won against Norwich we would have been in a good position, comparable to some of the best since the 60s.

How's that?

Why not the 80s when we finished 3rd 3 times and 4th twice? In the 60s we won the league, finished runners-up, 3rd 3 times and 4th once. Surely we're more comparable to the 80s?

Zin, the point is simply that we haven't done better than 3rd since 62/63, and we're only one lousy win against Norwich away from equalling that. And indeed we might do it yet anyway. Whatever way you cut it, 3rd would be as good a finish as we've had since 62/63, which was my original point.

I get it now, it's just a weird way of putting it. Venables equalled it most recently. Referring to the 60s is just trying to put forward a point that it's been 50 years since it was any better than that however it ignores the many cup wins we've had on the way which Harry has not delivered.

I get it now, it's just a weird way of putting it. Venables equalled it most recently. Referring to the 60s is just trying to put forward a point that it's been 50 years since it was any better than that however it ignores the many cup wins we've had on the way which Harry has not delivered.

I was gutted about the FA Cup this year, and disappointed with being losing League Cup finalists against Utd.

But the sad fact is winning the FA Cup or League Cup (especially) isn't as prestigious as it used to be. Which is a real shame. Personally I'd take 5th and an FA Cup win over 4th and no FA Cup win. But I bet Levy doesn't see it that way, nor do the top players and the majority of fans.

Perhaps to put it into context Liverpool are having a disasterous season, and Spurs fans are loving ripping the tinkle out of them. This disasterous season could see them win BOTH domestic cups. And even if they achieve that, it's still regarded as a disasterous season.

It's interesting that Arse v Norwich is on Sat, whereas we play Villa on Sunday.

Presuming we can beat Bolton (and be just 1 point behind) then we can at least watch the Arse match without having to stress over our own result.
If Norwich can get any kind of results then hopefully that will give our boys a kick, with time for it to sink in before our game.

Still a very small chance. COYS!

It's interesting that Arse v Norwich is on Sat, whereas we play Villa on Sunday.

Presuming we can beat Bolton (and be just 1 point behind) then we can at least watch the Arse match without having to stress over our own result.
If Norwich can get any kind of results then hopefully that will give our boys a kick, with time for it to sink in before our game.

Still a very small chance. COYS!

No away wins for ages.
Not scoring away from home.
Never beaten Bolton at their ground.

Hate to be a pessimist, but that's exactly what I'm being!

No away wins for ages.

Bolton have to win. This gives me reason for optimism. They should come out and try to play us.

Then again, Blackburn had to win and they didn't really come out and play us..

No away wins for ages.

Ha - I guess i'm just hoping some kind of reverse logic comes into play meaning these stats all result in a win.
If it does then who knows what the pressure will do to the pikeys.

bolton don't have to win. 4 points from their 2 home games this week will almost certainly mean they finish above qpr

bolton don't have to win. 4 points from their 2 home games this week will almost certainly mean they finish above qpr

That might even be better again I'd say, because then they're kind of caught in the middle. Not entirely sure whether to stick or twist.

They have to go away to stoke and play at home to west brom. None of them are easy games, if they draw against us i could seriously see them going down.

If we beat Bolton (which we never do at the Reebok) then I might start to believe. But who do Arsenal play on the final day of the season? Manager less West Brom, couldn't make it up.

Back