• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

3rd place is not out of sight

chancer

Gudni Bergsson
If we win our game in hand we're only 3 pts. behind Arsenal, with a -5 GD at worst and 3 games to go. Ignoring our form (lol), that is not as cataclysmic a situation as one might have thought in all the hullabaloo. If you'd been offered that at the start of the season you probably would have taken it.

For the sakes of this argument, let's make two big suppositions: First, we give ourselves the 3pts and 2 goals v. Blackburn. Second, let's assume Chelsea and Newcatle's results are not better than ours over the final 4 games, putting them out of the picture. The final three games for the old firm are then:

THFC:

Bolton v Tottenham

Aston Villa v Tottenham

Tottenham v Fulham

AFC:

Stoke v Arsenal

Arsenal v Norwich

West Brom v Arsenal

At the start of that sequence, we are 3pts behind, and 4 goals behind.

Looking at that, I might just be tempted to say that 4 wins might just give us 3rd place.

I can't entertain these thoughts until we prove we can win just 1 game first. Confidence is low. We need to start from the bottom.

Fed up of feeling we have something to lose. We've already lost it. Let's just play now

a big result and good performance against Blackburn might just give me a glimmer of hope - but after being so positive for so long during our bad spell that defeat against Chelsea has really took the wind out of my sails

Its not out of sight till its mathematically impossible, but not sure if you have noticed, we couldnt hit a cow on the arse with a banjo at the moment.

I agree that 3rd is still possible. However the required improvement we would need to win our remaining games is extremely unlikely.

The players are devoid of confidence and form and it will take a convincing victory against a Blackburn team who are seriously motivated to give us a prayer.

Sadly, I suspect that Spurs, both players and management, have fudged up the second half of the season, particularly the transfer window. They know it and their heads have gone.

I'm done, to be honest. Canlt get myself excited about finishing 3rd, when we can't even beat teames that are fighting relegation, or mid-table. No chance.
It's the hope, I can take the dissapointment, it's the hope that kills me!

why not.

In reality, we are better than all 4 teams remaining, regardless of whether we play them home or away.

Just need a bit of bad play from woolwich, which isn't unlikely given their main goal threat looks warn out.

Adebayor could be up for it, and should be well rested after a week off. We are solely focused on the PL.

We are better than woolwich. We are Tottenham.

I don't think we've ever needed a win so desperately as the Blackburn match. Although I admire your moxie, I think the boat to third land (ha...sounds like a lovely place) has well and truly sailed.

You can't disregard form.

Not a as a statistical observation, no form as the football (!) being played in front of our eyes.

That form is damning, and from those final three I can see us taking maximum 4 points, possibly 2 or even 1 if Fulham turn up at WHL. Villa is a nailed on 0-0 draw (if our defence can keep their brick together and that's a big if) and Bolton will beat us easily at the moment.

We've all been saying similar stuff for weeks. Arsenal's slip against Wigan and dropped points vs Chelsea made me think that for all our poor form we still had a chance. We then lost to QPR. As per normal we failed to capitalise on the opportunity afforded to us by others. Whatever slim hope i had of us finishing 3rd went this weekend. I still have some hope we will finish fourth. Hopefully that hope wont be extinguished this weekend :frown:

I agree Chancer. While third looks a very long way at the moment, it isn't over until we're mathematically ruled out. Despite playing like a bunch of donkeys at the moment, I still believe that we can win the rest of our games, and I'll support the team all the fudging way.

Imagine if we did get 3rd, all of our posts for the last few weeks/months would look pretty stupid.

Back