• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

Jon are you out and about or staying indoors?
I’m taking a walk on the beach twice a day with the dog and kids, grabbing a coffee from the beach vendor (2 metres away) and then having an evening walk for about 45 mins. There’s literally no one around here anyway.

Once home, I don’t plan to go out if I can help it!

It's not about waiting for vaccine. It's about buying time until you can assess your options better.

One result of that would be to see if existing safe medicines can combat the symptoms. This is something already playing out. Once you have that then you can ease social restrictions.
What if another medicine makes you immune in the short term and doubly vulnerable in 12 months?

These processes are slow for a reason.

And it's not about just taking stock and assessing other options. Stopping the economy is a one way ratchet - you don't just get a do-over when you open everything up. Even a month of lock down means thousands of businesses will close, millions of people out of work. Spend too much time listening to academics with nothing to lose and you'll start to believe we all have nothing to lose.

As I said in the Levy thread: Decisions at the sharp end aren't about making the right decision - there never is one. It's about making the least worst one. Because of that, people who don't have to make that kind of decision will always tell you you've made the wrong one.

Last edited:
I’m taking a walk on the beach twice a day with the dog and kids, grabbing a coffee from the beach vendor (2 metres away) and then having an evening walk for about 45 mins. There’s literally no one around here anyway.

Once home, I don’t plan to go out if I can help it!

That beach sounds wonderful!
Stay in mate when you get back to the shire!

What if another medicine makes you immune in the short term and doubly vulnerable in 12 months?

And it's not about just taking stock and assessing other options. Stopping the economy is a one way ratchet - you don't just get a do-over when you open everything up. Even a month of lock down means thousands of businesses will close, millions of people out of work. Spend to much time listening to academics with nothing to lose and you'll start to believe we all have nothing to lose.

As I said in the Levy thread: Decisions at the sharp end aren't about making the right decision - there never is one. It's about making the least worst one. Because of that, people who don't have to make that kind of decision will always tell you you've made the wrong one.

That is probably the best post of the year. At times I feel you try to wind people up. But that post is correct. It is the best worse decision that are the tough ones to make.

I feel the ones that really let themselves down over this are as ever the media and also self classes experts on twitter.

Housemates is in 7 day isolation. Pretty sure she has a bad cold. (Hopefully)
So me and other house mate are in for the 14.

Assuming she only has a cold, in 14 days we are back to square one, just with far less food and I'm sure every bell end will still be clearing the shelves.
Hopefully not, once people are stocked for six months then can sit back.
If it doesn't change in a week or so, rationing is the only way to ensure people can get through 14 days isolation. But this Govt are too stupid to understand that.

And it's not about just taking stock and assessing other options. Stopping the economy is a one way ratchet - you don't just get a do-over when you open everything up. Even a month of lock down means thousands of businesses will close, millions of people out of work. Spend too much time listening to academics with nothing to lose and you'll start to believe we all have nothing to lose.

I'm not talking about immunity I'm talking about treating the systems with medicines that has already been through testing and is safe. This is happening right now.

Buying time will also:

Flatten the curve
Increase the supply of ICU beds
Increase the number of ventilators
Increase the manufacturing and supply of testing kits
Increase the speed of testing kits

Buying time while you assess and prepare is the least worst option.

It's not about waiting for vaccine. It's about buying time until you can assess your options better.

One result of that would be to see if existing safe medicines can combat the symptoms. This is something already playing out. Once you have that then you can ease social restrictions.

I'm not talking about immunity I'm talking about treating the systems with medicines that has already been through testing and is safe. This is happening right now.

Buying time will also:

Flatten the curve

I honestly cannot understand why some people can’t grasp this.

Medicine/science is the ONLY thing that can make a difference eventually. Until we make inroads into our treatment of this virus then the fear will remain - and while the fear remains we will largely be stuck in a form of national (and world) paralysis.

THE best thing to do now is buy time. Our knowledge of this virus increases every day.

anyone have any facts around impact on asthmatics?

Listed on NHS as being at “severe risk” and classed as the infamous “underlying condition” - but that seems a bit extreme for what I class as usually a claggy throat only and never an actual ‘attack’. I don’t even use the preventer as it makes no difference to my ‘flow’.

Although I am a tad concerned I have had a propensity to suffer from chest infections and pneumonia’s when I get severe colds, probably as a result of asthma. and Covid seems to be a bit of a bitch when it comes to breathing...

I get what @scaramanga says about getting the immunity in quick, but I’m 50/50 if that might be a bad move for me!! Arghhhh, decisions!

The ‘underlying conditions’ thing is interesting; when you look at the list, half the country should be in isolation as they include obesity and high blood pressure on the list - and those who smoke are at a much greater risk too.

I honestly cannot understand why some people can’t grasp this.

Medicine/science is the ONLY thing that can make a difference eventually. Until we make inroads into our treatment of this virus then the fear will remain - and while the fear remains we will largely be stuck in a form of national (and world) paralysis.

THE best thing to do now is buy time. Our knowledge of this virus increases every day.
They grasp it just fine. They just don't have other people on their list of priorities.

Buying time will also:

Flatten the curve

People are beginning trials with existing medicine, that shortens the production cycle but not the trials.

Again, buying time is a nice idea - if only killing the economy were also a nice idea we'd be fine.

People are beginning trials with existing medicine, that shortens the production cycle but not the trials.

Again, buying time is a nice idea - if only killing the economy were also a nice idea we'd be fine.

So you are saying that using existing safe medicines with track records will require trials for 18 months? Because that's not what I have been reading and hearing.

Back