• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What are we missing?

The fact that we never won anything during that era was a joke. Dembele would boss any midfield, we had the best wingback duo in the business, a centre back pairing anyone would be envious of, Eriksen on top of his game and Kane smashing them in everywhere - not to mention Son and Dele. It makes me angry every time I think about it.....

They were very unlucky in the league to come up against the leicester freak and the chelsea freak that had no european football and no injuries and won 30 of their 38 league games.

In the fa cup though they disappeared in the man utd semi after alexis equalised and whilst unlucky in the chelsea semi they were not helped by Poch’s idiotic decision to play Son at lwb.

In the fa cup though they disappeared in the man utd semi after alexis equalised and whilst unlucky in the chelsea semi they were not helped by Poch’s idiotic decision to play Son at lwb.

That was the game that made me doubt for the first time if the Poch team would ever win a trophy.

So it is purely a player quality thing not anything to do with how the system is utilised? In essence Poch was using the 3-4-3?
The styles of players in attack were slightly different, Eriksen seemed to have a bit more of a free role and Dele kind of played off Kane centrally more. 3-4-2-1 maybe? The ball would stick better with Eriksen, Kane and Dele rather than say Son and Richarlson now.

Younger players in those attacking positions willing and able to press more.

i don’t think we played 3 at the back too oven though under Poch. It seemed the emergence of Son as an undroppable alongside Kane, Eriksen and Dele meant 3 at the back was no longer possible.

The styles of players in attack were slightly different, Eriksen seemed to have a bit more of a free role and Dele kind of played off Kane centrally more. 3-4-2-1 maybe? The ball would stick better with Eriksen, Kane and Dele rather than say Son and Richarlson now.

Younger players in those attacking positions willing and able to press more.

i don’t think we played 3 at the back too oven though under Poch. It seemed the emergence of Son as an undroppable alongside Kane, Eriksen and Dele meant 3 at the back was no longer possible.

Agreed. Along with player quality of course, can't be overlooked. Other than Kane and Son arguably being better players now than they were then there's not a lot of players in the current team you would have picked over those playing back then. At best close, at worst those previous players quite clearly better (at their best periods at least).

The fact that we never won anything during that era was a joke. Dembele would boss any midfield, we had the best wingback duo in the business, a centre back pairing anyone would be envious of, Eriksen on top of his game and Kane smashing them in everywhere - not to mention Son and Dele. It makes me angry every time I think about it.....
I think you overrate how good they were. This team regularly struggled to break teams down due to a lack of creativity. We really only had Eriksen who play a through ball or had any genuine creativity. We had a lot of the ball, but it was a lot of sideways and none probing in practise. It needed additional quality in midfield and we would have really been cooking with gas.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

Three midfielders that are all too similar in my opinion. Wing backs that are too slow. A system that isn't too reliant on quick counters. Poor distribution all around the pitch, not sure why we can't seem to string some simple passes together.

I think we miss decent wing backs and a playmaker more than anything, but this system we're playing, although it's generally getting us results, isn't very fun to watch.

We are missing freshness, as i said in the match thread, the core is still pretty much the same as when Poch left abd under every manager since him we have had absolutely dog brick displays.

I think a whole overhaul is needed.

Three midfielders that are all too similar in my opinion. Wing backs that are too slow. A system that isn't too reliant on quick counters. Poor distribution all around the pitch, not sure why we can't seem to string some simple passes together.

I think we miss decent wing backs and a playmaker more than anything, but this system we're playing, although it's generally getting us results, isn't very fun to watch.

Yes, agree. I think we're ok at LWB, or at least with Perisic (short term) and Sess and the new Italian lad we have long-term potential

I do very much agree that we're missing a CM who can pass the ball well and also short at RWB

From the 11 last night, Bissouma, PEH, Bentancur, Romero, Perisic, Doherty all joined post Poch

He clarified last night that he included post Poch/Mourinho as well - so our problem is we have too many players from 2 years ago in our team :D

We need Desiny back as left back, a decent right back (maybe Spence) and a creative midfield player who can play forward passes and score goals (and his name is Maddison). Then we will be a ton better.

We need Desiny back as left back, a decent right back (maybe Spence) and a creative midfield player who can play forward passes and score goals (and his name is Maddison). Then we will be a ton better.
Destiny looks absolute quality, can’t wait to have him next season he will make a massive difference - unless he is treated the same as Spence:rolleyes: As much as Royal gets the criticism I don’t exactly see masses created down our left either. Perisic looks ok, but I don’t think he’s been as good as some make out on here and Sess has been ok aswell with plenty of room for improvement. But if it really is a case of what I see often touted on here that ‘in Contes system the creativity comes from the wingbacks’ then no wonder the football is always so poor. I was shocked we wasn’t in for Eriksen, it was an absolute no brainer and not saying this in hindsight. Our midfield is too much of a muchness. The chance to get Eriksen has gone, go and fork out on Madison and our creativity would increase immediately. Not that I have any hope for this, it will be the same old for sometime….

Based on last night, balls.

Man U bullied us with players that shouldn't. And the lack of subs meant the message from the bench was the same.

Martinez has gone from a figure of fun to a colossus overnight. Luke Shaw in particular was giving little pushes even when they were 2 up. We had little edge to our game even when we were losing 2-0, we seemed to accept our lot very early in the game.

I've said it before but when the game is tight and we are struggling Kane and Son's lack of pressing gives the opponent a free ride to keep the ball and build, whilst we go hot potato and panic with the few touches they get. I think we can only start one of them in big away games, Richie can rough em up and or Kulu can try and bring others into play, Son is a different beast when the game is opened up and there is space to run into. Last night we had little choice due to injuries but going forward we can't have 2 untouchables when it comes to off the ball work.

Destiny, spence, Bentancur, romero, Richarlison and kulu are all tailor made for a poch side.
I don't want conte gone, far from it, but there is the making of a very good squad there for the coach with the right approach.
Each of those players all appear to be hungry and eager to win, attributes i thought conte would relish and wring the best out of.
As we are supposed to be building i struggle to why some are getting so little game time.

better wages per player ?
one of the key ways of doing that is keeping a trim squad like what arteta has done.
hopefully the stadium sponsorship goes some way to helping us pay better to attract better

better wages per player ?
one of the key ways of doing that is keeping a trim squad like what arteta has done.
hopefully the stadium sponsorship goes some way to helping us pay better to attract better
Arsenals wage bill has been greater than us for the last 20 years
They binned off high wage earners recently but the players they signed all come on decent money
Let’s see how that squad lasts over the season first

Back