• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What are we missing?

Conte has won multiple league titles with this system or a variety of it
I know it’s not the Tottenham way and I’d love Maddison, especially as he can play wide forward too but the system isn’t the issue IMO. It’s the players execution or lack of.
Hugo doesn’t drop that co-signer yesterday and it’s a different game
Royal doesn’t do that challenge and it could be a different game
Players need to execute their roles better but that isn’t always going to happen
I think what hurt us was lack of game changing options on the bench (think of the Chelsea game when out subs made the difference) and we need to shift Moura for a player who can pass (again I’d take Maddison for sure or Zaniolo who is as driving wide player and central too)
We need to bin off royal who had his brain fart today but has never been technically good enough for us with the ball (that’s where it hurts us most)
And the team will be much better

In this scenario shouldn't you be flexible and adjust the system a little to accommodate the players you have?

In this scenario shouldn't you be flexible and adjust the system a little to accommodate the players you have?
Exactly. I always believe you should have at least one game changer on the bench. When people saw the lineup and bemoaned lack of options on the bench, the response was we’ve got Bryan Gil - a player Conte literally never used regardless of if a game is won or not other than for meaningless cup matches. would have been another reason to go 3-5-2 with Richi on the bench (yes I know he won the pen but still) as was likely with the way we tend to play we would have been chasing the game and we have seen Richi change the game from the bench previously. Or as we have seen we have actually performed better with 3-5-2 formation so might of actually not needed to chase. But with that formation and lineup we all had that sinking feeling and here we are.
Also last season Conte mentioned he was playing this formation because of the players we currently had in the squad. I thought with him recruiting apparently more of his targets we might see some change but no…..

Exactly. I always believe you should have at least one game changer on the bench. When people saw the lineup and bemoaned lack of options on the bench, the response was we’ve got Bryan Gil - a player Conte literally never used regardless of if a game is won or not other than for meaningless cup matches. would have been another reason to go 3-5-2 with Richi on the bench (yes I know he won the pen but still) as was likely with the way we tend to play we would have been chasing the game and we have seen Richi change the game from the bench previously. Or as we have seen we have actually performed better with 3-5-2 formation so might of actually not needed to chase. But with that formation and lineup we all had that sinking feeling and here we are.
Also last season Conte mentioned he was playing this formation because of the players we currently had in the squad. I thought with him recruiting apparently more of his targets we might see some change but no…..

change to what system? He has never intimated he wants to play a different system
It even looks like we have recruited the squad to suit the system he is playing

change to what system? He has never intimated he wants to play a different system
It even looks like we have recruited the squad to suit the system he is playing
Last season he specifically made reference to him playing the formation he was because he felt it was the formation which best suited the current set of players in the squad which implied this might change in the future. Obviously not….

Last season he specifically made reference to him playing the formation he was because he felt it was the formation which best suited the current set of players in the squad which implied this might change in the future. Obviously not….
I never heard it like that
He has only played a really different formation when he took over at Chelsea and started with 4 at the back… lasted about 8 games

Hardly 'kneejerk' when we're 8 games in and haven't been particularly impressive in any of them.
8 games in, first game to get beaten (at a ground we never get anything, and was looking okay up to a dubious red), and would have gone top if we'd won? It's about as kneejerk as you can get.

Can it be both kneejerk and valid points?

Sent from my SM-T865 using Fapatalk
Define valid?
If it’s people debating the system… then they maybe should step back until conte leaves. He doesn’t change systems, least of all ones that work in his eyes
If it’s players within the system e.g we need a better rwb, that’s very valid

Gil is rubbish and will be sent packing back to Spain as soon as someone there can afford to buy him.

We are missing someone that can sit in the deep CM role and recycle the ball and retain it. Bentacaur does it once every 3 games and is quiet the rest and I won't bore you with PEH comments again.

At the moment we have two elements to our side, the back 3 and 2 CM who offer little support going forward, and the RWB thats the same, so thats 6 outfield defensive players and 4 attacking if Perisic plays, so far this season its been too much of that "well we defend and then give the ball to you front 3/4 and you do your own thing". Nothing is built from the back, no one from deep is breaking the lines with either balls or runs and no one has the quality to retain the ball.

It almost reminds me of when you used to play at school, defend for your lives and give it to the quick skillful one to make something happen. All well and good when that happens but for me our system is too reliant on too few players. Not enough accountability on what we do going forward from wide or deep, far too feast or famine

We are missing someone that can sit in the deep CM role and recycle the ball and retain it. Bentacaur does it once every 3 games and is quiet the rest and I won't bore you with PEH comments again.

At the moment we have two elements to our side, the back 3 and 2 CM who offer little support going forward, and the RWB thats the same, so thats 6 outfield defensive players and 4 attacking if Perisic plays, so far this season its been too much of that "well we defend and then give the ball to you front 3/4 and you do your own thing". Nothing is built from the back, no one from deep is breaking the lines with either balls or runs and no one has the quality to retain the ball.

It almost reminds me of when you used to play at school, defend for your lives and give it to the quick skillful one to make something happen. All well and good when that happens but for me our system is too reliant on too few players. Not enough accountability on what we do going forward from wide or deep, far too feast or famine
Did you watch Saturday? romero broke through twice. It was him on the end of the ball just after half time
We also had royal making those runs too, but obviously he isn’t passed too as he is ineffective
The system is fine, the players need to execute it better and not make basic mistakes. the poor defence and midfield you mention passed through their press quite easily several times, only for the attackers to make a poor pass

Did you watch Saturday? romero broke through twice. It was him on the end of the ball just after half time
We also had royal making those runs too, but obviously he isn’t passed too as he is ineffective
The system is fine, the players need to execute it better and not make basic mistakes. the poor defence and midfield you mention passed through their press quite easily several times, only for the attackers to make a poor pass

I didn't see Saturdays game, but that sums up what we have been seeing for years. We get into a lot of good situations, then fail to execute.

I never said the system is wrong but we need better quality in the areas that contribute and link defense with attack i.e wingback and CM. Romero doing it once or twice a game does not mean we have the quality where need desperately need it, which is the centre of the park. As I said we need players who can pass the ball better in midfield, Bentacaur has his days but they are not coming around as frequently as I would like.

I never said the defense is poor either, I would say the back 3 are probably one of our strongest assets along with the front 3, its the filler inbetween that needs to improve if people want us to kick on.

I never said the system is wrong but we need better quality in the areas that contribute and link defense with attack i.e wingback and CM. Romero doing it once or twice a game does not mean we have the quality where need desperately need it, which is the centre of the park. As I said we need players who can pass the ball better in midfield, Bentacaur has his days but they are not coming around as frequently as I would like.

I never said the defense is poor either, I would say the back 3 are probably one of our strongest assets along with the front 3, its the filler inbetween that needs to improve if people want us to kick on.
I just don’t agree
I’ve seen Liverpool win the league with CMs who weren’t as good as ours
I’ve seen lestah do it too
The system is key

"Ok I’ll take a more direct approach. How would you assess Royal’s performance and decision making yesterday?"

BZZZZZZZZzzzzzzt! Time's up.

The correct answer was 'What is 'Unacceptable'?'

Back